Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dark Crystal sequel?

I watched this on dvd last night since I hadn't seen it in 20+ years and all I can say is "wow." I was iffy about it as a kid, but I am pretty blown away now. With the possible exception of those by Danilo Donati (Flash Gordon) I cannot think of another movie with cooler sets. That observatory has got to be on the short list of coolest ever. It's a shame they had to take it apart.

The old school Jim Henson creatures were really slick as well, easily a step up from most of those in the original trilogy, and certainly on par with Yoda and Jabba. I totally remembered the Skeksis and the podlings and all the others, especially Frank Oz's Chamberlain, with his sly smile and "hmmmmm" noises.

Another thing I wasn't able to appreciate as a kid was the use of color and the attention to detail. Imagine if a whole movie took place on Felucia, that is the level of care given to one of the environments, filled with creatures everywhere. The movie takes its time with these as a few moments are spent simply tracking the camera along a forest floor.

The only downside is that the story is a pretty paint by numbers "quest" deal, and the movie drops a lot of hints as to what the resolution will be from the start.

Oh, and it marks the only time I was fearful for a muppet!

Anyhow, give this a spin, as it appears that a sequel is in the making.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

It's on my 'to buy' DVD list. just not sure which version is the best one to get.

This is yet another movie I keep meaning to watch again. I used to read the novelization again and again... but I think I only saw the movie once. If I run into a well priced DVD copy, it will be mine. oyes.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

I've always been a big fan of Labyrinth, but never saw the Whole Dark Crystal movie yet. I had a ex-girlfriend that loved it. Maybe one of these days I'll have to see Dark Crystal
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine

I had a DVD splurge moment a few weeks ago and put the new Dark Crystal and Labyrinth releases on the pile. I truly enjoyed the special feature docs. For every reason that the ESB Yoda works better than the Prequel CG versions do, the creatures in Dark Crystal and Labyrinth are as real to me as the stunning Jennifer Connelly. The Muppet Show is still a favorite of my own kids (and me) and the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth films are held in the same light. We can only hope that any future work is of the same caliber.

i've seen three different versions out there. one is the anniversary version and one is the superbit version. i forget what the other one is. it confuses me. frankly if a better version comes out the older inferior ones should be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid View Post
    The Muppet Show is still a favorite of my own kids (and me) and the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth films are held in the same light. We can only hope that any future work is of the same caliber.
    Rumor has it that Disney has started the process of writing the next Muppet Movie http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2008/031208.shtml

I can only hope this has some promise. For the Post Henson Muppets I enjoyed Treasure Island and Muppet's Christmas but Muppets from Space and Wizard of Oz didn't do much for me.

I recall in grade school when we got to see a Muppet movie it was like the the best day of the year. I can only hope they make something worthwile that I can watch with my kids.
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine

My niece is fifteen and doesn't know what the Muppets are, aside from some guys in a show at Disneyland. It's sad that these older shows like Muppets, Muppet Babies, Fraggle Rock, even classics like Bugs Bunny, just don't have a presence with kids anymore. They should stop airing carp like that stupid show about talking pinatas and put a half hour of this older stuff on.

Speaking of which, when was the last time you saw The Little Rascals or Our Gang on TV? Yeah, it has stereotypes that weren't problematic at the time but seem tasteless today. But I loved them growing up, and I never even considered becoming a racist.

IIRC, I read somewhere two or three years ago that a certain "love him or hate him" animator who was born in Russia and likes to make Mace Windu jump really high is going to direct....
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 03-16-2008 at 12:45 AM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Pinata? Hell, what about that rediculous spongebob squarepants. I swear I think I may have watched 2 minutes of one episode of that idiot. It doesn't have near the intelligence of good ol Bugs Bunny. I can watch a Loony Tunes episode and catch something new each and every time. Pink Panther is another series that has always cracked me up.

These new cartoons are just dumb. I can't sit with my kids I watch a single second of it. Its enough that I can hear whats going on. The animation is much lower quality. They have dumb characters, dumb writing, and dumb plots. Its ushering in a generation of idiots. For as silly as Bugs Bunny is at least it has thousands of references to great classics.

Sadly, Dark Crystal isn't appreciated. Its a cool flick with great sets as has been pointed out. But because there aren't references to various parts of the human body, and the movie is slower paced kids (my kids at least) dismiss it. But yeah Dark Crystal is up there on my list and has been for many many years. mmmMMMMMM Gelfling!

Quote Originally Posted by preacher View Post
    But because there aren't references to various parts of the human body, and the movie is slower paced kids (my kids at least) dismiss it.
    The pacing was an issue to me as a kid also. I think that is why it appeals to me more as an adult. That, and perhaps the huge plasma television and DVD resolution opened up the visuals in a way the old pan and scan days on a 27" television couldn't.

The jokes are above the heads of children anyway- like when Kira sprouts wings and Jen is incredulous:

"Of course you don't (have wings), you're a boy." Kids won't pick up on the Freudian reversal of a joke like that!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car