Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speed Racer Toys (Die Cast and all other sizes)

I like the Johnny Lightning cars from 10 yrs ago and saw the Speed Racer Mach 4 (red one) and ended up picking up all of the other cars.

But is it me and the exclusives (Target), different sizes and two vendors (Mattel) and another could keep this line alive until the movie comes out or until the holidays for gift giving?
    Collect 2 Collect (if you see someone damaging stuff kick them in the shorts!)
    Great Traders Slicker,KIDD,Rebo's_Guitarist,TURBOWARS,OC47150,
    bobafrett,Jay86,Lman316 & Dark Marble!

This line is a huge mess. First off, you have Jada Toys producing a new scale of CLASSIC Speed Racer vehicles, and while they're doing an ok job of it, they never really do anything stellar or better than the smaller Johnny Lightning series.

Then there's the Mattel line based on the new movie, and they have 1 die-cast scale (Hot Wheels 1/64th) and several different plastic scales. There's even a large Mach 5 and Mach 6, but I don't think there's any figures to go with it. I bought the $10 disk-firing Mach 5 with Speed Racer, the figure's horribly oversized for the vehicle and the vehicle is fairly cheesy, but they do their job for $10 not too awful - turns out there's actually quite a few different sets of these with different cars & drivers, none of them are all that great but they have fair detaling. There's the battle rigs, big trucks with cars with snap on parts, that's such a non-Speed Racer idea to me though.

Ultimately, I wish there was a better line of toys from this, I think it's gonna dominate the pegwarming this summer and sell through just as it dies in November.

Oh, anybody notice that Racer X's car doesn't seem to be called the Shooting Star on any of the movie packaging? What up wit dat?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I saw some toys today. Didn't even look at them that closely. They looked far inferior to the figures I bought about four years ago.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I haven't seen them yet, sounds kinda unfortunate

I DID enjoy my Mach 5 from Johnny lightning UNTIL I noticed a little scratch on it- I assumed it was just some kind of dirt and went to rub it off with my fingernail and the entire paint "skin" peeled off the damn thing leaving it bare metal which TICKED me off, so Ima get a couple of these as long as they look good enough, not into too many of them tho, Shooting Star and Mach 5 (and maybe if I read what I saw in trailer #2 properly a smaller-scale version of what sure as HELL looked to me like the Mammoth Car, I nearly spat when I saw that- it's right in the middle of the trailer #2 if anyone is interested, it is barely onscreen for more than a split second but the headlight pattern is distinctive and whatever it is it's clearly HUGE)
    Iso&Baws
    if the mammoth car is in the movie I WILL stand up and yell
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Yeah, Johnny Lightning's paint is very easy to chip, one of their big drawbacks.

What you saw is probably the Mach 5's (or 6's) pit truck, they're doing a few toys out of that as well, Mattel's Battle Rigs have it. Mammoth Car was so stupid, it's a train on tires, if they put that in the film, they're gonna have walkouts.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

hell the car acrobatic team is in it, that's as ridiculous as the Mammoth Car, if not moreso

I checked the pics of the toys and the Rig is NOT the thing I'm referring to, I am in fact referencing what I'm SURE will be an AWESOME rendition of the Mammoth Car

Iso&Baws
    just like when I called Mace Windu being a Sith Lord, I'll be back for the I-Told-You-So

How is the car acrobat team more ridiculous than the Mammoth Car???

short answer, the Mammoth Car was idiotic BUT obeyed the laws of physics

The Car Acrobatic Team (and admittedly Speed and Racer X) break a whole lot of the "laws" of physics every few seconds

Dumb as it is the Mammoth Car makes more sense than the Acrobatic Team no matter which one is cooler
    Iso&Baws
    MAMMOTH CAR!!!!

Actually, the Mammoth Car breaks several laws of physics, it's just that they're not aerial ones. It shouldn't be able to drive on the ground the way it does, it shouldn't have the power or speed that it does, and it shouldn't exist because it sucks.

The Car Acrobatic team obeys the Speed Racer universe's laws of physics, if the Mach 5 can jump, surely they can jump and spin.

Got the Hot Wheels Mach 6 and Shooting Star (called "Racer X" on the package and "Racer X Street Car" on the bottom of the toy, odd, but he has a different version in the film as well so it looks like we'll see both)

They are more plastic-y than hotwheels tend to be but the white plastic on the Mach 6 actually looks good, it really matches the way the cars look in the trailers.

I plan on getting the Mach 5 (Elf got the toys for me and didn't realize she had 6, not the classic 5) but really am not too hot on the rest of the cars, a couple to have on a desktop is good enough for me
    Iso&Baws
    the attachable accessories are a nice touch