Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amazing new touch screen computer

This is pretty amazing technology:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=471SUvN5of0

When I first got a chance to play with an iPhone I figured something like this was just around the corner, but I didn't think they'd be this advanced already!
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

"In Soviet Russia, computer screen touches you!"

I dunno about this, I predict this will be the next big thing right up there with the Apple Newton and the Segway. We've had touchscreens for decades and generally they can't hold a candle to tactile controls. Even in that video, the interviewer's hand movements on the drawing are picked up when not touching the screen but just close, leading to some big blue blobs where they weren't intended. And how does one go about keep that surface clean? Do they look comfortable using it? Not really.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I can't watch the video since I'm at work but a guy I work with has a touch screen laptop right now. He's had it for some time. You can either use a stylus or your hand. As I said I haven't watched the video you posted so I may not be getting the whole picture.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Do they look comfortable using it? Not really.
    No more uncomfortable than someone using a keyboard and a mouse for the first time.

Anyways, I think it has some potential from a graphic design perspective. Wacom tablets are already replacing mouses as the interface of choice for designers, this just combines the tablet and the screen into one and could potentially make the whole process more intuitive.

Just don't drop your credit card on it by mistake.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I just want large hi def flatscreen monitors to come down in price. can't be doing with all this flimflammery gadgety malarky.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    No more uncomfortable than someone using a keyboard and a mouse for the first time.

Anyways, I think it has some potential from a graphic design perspective. Wacom tablets are already replacing mouses as the interface of choice for designers, this just combines the tablet and the screen into one and could potentially make the whole process more intuitive.

Just don't drop your credit card on it by mistake.
    Yup, got my eyes on one of those Wacom tablets. Finally got the Adobe Creative Suite CS2 (as you suggested) for my G5, gonna take a few classes at the community college. Then I'll be on my way to something.

I watched my sister try to use the mouse tools for Photoshop. It would seem easier to use the tablet. She's going to buy one too.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Wow!

Amazing!!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    Yup, got my eyes on one of those Wacom tablets. Finally got the Adobe Creative Suite CS2 (as you suggested) for my G5, gonna take a few classes at the community college. Then I'll be on my way to something.

I watched my sister try to use the mouse tools for Photoshop. It would seem easier to use the tablet. She's going to buy one too.
    Gawd, I can't stand those tablets.

I still prefer a mouse over those. But this new computer looks very cool.

Oh and B2th, CS2 is good, but CS3 is better in many aspects.

Photoshop is fun to play around with. Just this afternoon I made a "bubble shield" from Halo 3 in about 10 minutes with a Master Chief in it. It's amazing what can be done with that program with some training, experience and just good ol' fashioned playing around.
    Last edited by jedi master sal; 04-07-2008 at 02:09 PM.
    Move along, move along

I just logged on to try and catch up.

I traded in my mares and coach for one of 'dem dare horseless carriages the udder day.

Do you know that if they stretch two paper cups with a string between them from Chicago to Houston and made the line taught, two people could actually hear what each udder waz sayin'?

Be right back. I have to make a run to the outhouse.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I don't think anybody ever had to lean that far over the keyboard and mouse to interact with the material before.

Drawing tablets are different, they're input devices, not monitors, and they're specialized input devices at that. If you're not drawing something with artistic skill, using your arms that much for typing and drawing and pointing is far slower than a mouse and keyboard, as well as open to more errors (a stylus is a small point on a tablet, your finger would be a big fat imprecise one). Look, I love Star Trek, but that TNG stuff is a little dodgy when you think about it, how are you able to see what you're doing if your hands are covering the shifting keys? How do you know you've hit the right key if you don't "feel" it? Tactile response controls are very helpful for inputting and interacting with the computer.

So, the question becomes, will this be the next Ford Model T or Stanley Steamer?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.