Dusty Little Green Army Men

Hey all,

I was digging around in my garage the other day looking for some vintage stuff to do a retro review on, and I came across a bag of Little Green Army Men. Well, that in turn brough back some good memories I thought I'd share with the world in an article I titled, "What Ever Happened to Little Green Army Men?"

http://www.tvandfilmtoys.com/Articles/army_men.asp

Enjoy!
    Engineernerd

BTW: Next week I'm hoping to have a new Star Wars figure review. I managed to snag the last of something off the shelf this weekend.

Yes, I had some green army men of various types. I also had plenty of cowboys and indians, some blue cavalry soldiers, and some knights in armor.

There is actually a bit of a connection between the cavalry and the knights. I recall going to this one discount store downtown and mom agreed to buy me something that day. I ended up getting this simple plastic fort that came with the cavalry soldiers. She tried talking me into getting this castle set that had knights or something in it. I almost decided to get that and kind of regret that I didn't because I think it was a much better playset than the fort that came with the cavalry.

I never really had battles with them like you described, partly because I usually played with them on my own. There were certain figures that I would used to represent myself and people I knew, and I would imagine the group being in some B-movie where they venture someplace and encounter dinosaurs or something.

The Nintendo 64 and Playstation each had video games where you played the part of the little green army men. I rented both of them and they were all right. I think my complaint with the N64 version was the controls were a little difficult. My complaint with the PS1 version was that it seemed too dark and hard to see stuff.

Now you're talking, E-nerd!

Little green army men is what I grew up on! Marx Toys army men to be exact. I thought things couldn't get any cooler when Marx came out with the US (green) vs. German (gray) plastic armies! Prior to that, I had a set of opposing, identical (US-style) figures, however, one army was green; the other a bizarre mustard yellow.

The German figures even came with a firing, 88mm (you'll shoot your eye out, pre-Nerf world) cannon!

We would augment our armies with poor quality, barely-could-stand-up-third-world-manufactured-Marx-inspired-knock-off Bag O' Soldier sets. Our battles tended to rival the Normandy Invasion in terms of numbers.

My buds and I would play for hours: inside and outside the house.

Thanks for the cool thread and link to the review. (*Ah, memories!*)
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I remembering buy a tub of soldiers right after Toy Story came out....ah the flashbacks....also Cowboys and Indians were fun to battle with too!
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Wow, I actually didn't expect to get a response to this. Apparently more people than me have fond memories of the major battles played with solid color soldiers.

You know M.S.P., I talked my grandmother into getting me a set one summer when I was there. I remember being at a store probably, Woolworths, and staring at this huge box. The art showed this fantastic battle with houses and trees and stuff. "Battle of the Bulge" set, if I remember right. I opened it up there was a play mat with cheesy graphics, two jeeps, two trucks two tanks and about a dozen soldiers per side. Man, was I disappointed. They actually ended up being the only grey guys I had. I tried to dig them up for this, but alas, they seem to have been hidden in some other box waiting to be discovered. I'm guessing the might be hiding with my train sets.

Thanks again, everyone!
    E-Nerd

I used to have a bunch of little army men, they were pretty fun. I actually had two colors, green, and tan which were for desert storm, but often were the enemy side.

One of my friends and I used to use pogs to determine who "died." We'd toss a pog into each others' formations, all the ones that fell over were dead.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    ...One of my friends and I used to use pogs to determine who "died." We'd toss a pog into each others' formations, all the ones that fell over were dead.

Pog?!?

Please don't mention those lest they come back. (No offense intended to the pog fans.)

I remember once in my younger years taking a plastic cowboy and melting his hat on a hot light bulb. The plastic dripped onto the bulb, and it smelled and made smoke, so I spit on the bulb and it exploded and a hot piece of glass from that bulb hit my face causing a small scar. That's my memories of plastic toys.
    Last edited by bobafrett; 04-15-2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: face not fave
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Little green army men were the perfect targets for BB rifles.

I guess the SW mini unleashed line is sort of like the little army men. I'm not too sure if I had very many of the army guys but I did have bags of little plastic dinosaurs.