Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Star Wars Transformers AT-AT

When Hasbro introduced the concept of Star Wars Transformers I was very very critical, not seeing the point in mixing 2 brands so different.
    Until now I only bought the Millennium Falcon/Han Solo-Chewbacca, and just for the gold Millennium Falcon and TIE Fighter included in the first edition.
    But now I have to give the SW Transformers designers my compliments for their AT-AT! This AT-AT has some very good features, even when compared (forgive my heresy ) with the Action Fleet one. First of all its legs are poseable! This makes it unique among the small scale AT-AT models, afaik (Action Fleet, Titanium Series and Star Wars Miniatures).

Here is a little review for those of you who do not already know this model:
    The 2 front legs have an articulation with 4 position at the hip and a free articulation at the knee. The 2 rear legs have a ball joint at the hip and an articulation with 3 position at the knee. All the feet have a ball joint at the ankle, but only the 2 rear ones can move freely, within limits, while the 2 front ones can only roll round the longitudinal axis. This limitation is balanced out by the fact the toes of the 2 front feet can move (exactly like in the movie!). The proportion of the body and details are quite good and in vehicle mode there is no part of the robot visible (differently from other SW Transformers, e.g. the X-wing). The only real imperfection concerns the head, it is too big and lacks completely of the neck, so it cannot tilt at all, but it can only roll 360 around the longitudinal axis (this is absolutely movie inaccurate, but it is used in the robot mode transformation ).
    In the end you can pose this AT-AT to simulate most of its steps, even if not continuously (you cannot use it for a stop-motion movie), you can pose it like Blizzard 4 when it falls flat (besides for the head ), and you can crash a MM snowspeeder under its feet in scale.

Transformer designers were able to put a lot of articulation in this quite small vehicle, this makes it very movie accurate apart for the head which has been sacrificed to the robot transformation.

What do you think about this vehicle? I am interested in reading your comments.

Ciao,
    JediGoofy
    R2Dee2 and Vulcantouch, always remembered, always missed. :-(

This is one of the few SWTFs I didn't buy, the robot mode just looked so bad I couldn't bring myself to drop $15 on it, the no-neck situation and funky paint mismatching were the final straws.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

In theory I would've wanted this as I do like the AT-AT. However, like JT said, the bot mode wasn't good at all. With the AT-AT being one of the most imposing looking vehicles in the SW universe, you would expect the bot to look more on the menacing side and less on the spindly 90 lb weakling side which unfortunately it tends towards.

There are some who buy the SW TF's solely for the alt modes but as I own an Action Fleet AT-AT, I don't really need this one.

Thumbs up Poseable legs!

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    There are some who buy the SW TF's solely for the alt modes but as I own an Action Fleet AT-AT, I don't really need this one.
    This is actually my point.
    I have not converted the model to robot mode (and I think I will never do ), but even if I own the Action Fleet AT-AT I found this one (may I dare to say it? ) "better". (although I am a big fan of AF )

Yes, the head is very bad, but to have the possibility to stomp over a MM Snowspeeder is priceless.

Ciao,
    JediGoofy

Sorry JG but I've gotta agree with JT... they shoulda called it the AT-NN-HO-AT. The NN-HO stands for No Neck Ho.

Perversely enough, I considered getting it because it's so different than the AF or TS Ultra versions... but then I realized that it's just plain crap, all speeder-stomping benefits aside obviously.

Even the early McQuarrie AT-AT had a freakin' neck... and what's with the throbbing ribbed (for her pleasure) red missile?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	atat_walker.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	17111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hasbro224.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	17112  
    McCoy: What do those super sensitive ears make of that, Mr. Spock?
    Spock: Wood. Rubbing on some kind of leather.

duplicated

Talking You made me laugh DT!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Titanium View Post
    ... but then I realized that it's just plain crap, all speeder-stomping benefits aside obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Titanium View Post
    ... and what's with the throbbing ribbed (for her pleasure) red missile?
    Really horrible (of course my AT-AT will never sport that "thing" )

I really agree with you and JT, and FB, the head is bad, but I was so pleased with the poseable legs I had to share it with the SSG forumers.
    Now I leave you 'cause I have to stomp yet another Snowspeeder!

Ciao,
    JediGoofy

A very good friend of mine has a nice review of the Transformers/WOTC lines on Rebelscum named SW Transformers/WOTC Critique
    Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates but doesn't go away
    MY COLLECTIONS
    My trade feedback

Smile There is a neck!

Hi Sergiu,
    yes I know that thread, actually I decided to buy a Transformer AT-AT just because of toyguy's review.

But re-reading his post now, I noticed he says the AT-AT actually has a neck!
    It looks like the neck extends, I forgot! When I am back home I will give it a try. And then I will let know to all Transformer AT-AT detractors.

Ciao (and thank you Sergiu ),
    JediGoofy

Hey JG,

Glad you enjoyed the jokes... sometimes it's hard to know how they come across in a forum, you crazed speeder stomping menace, you.

Maybe you should be called JediGodzilla.... I just hope you don't show up in Tokyo with a throbbing big red ribbed radioactive missile looking for an L train. Oh nooooo.... Godzirrra!

I guess I could be classified as a TF detractor... I picked up about 6 of the TF line, but most are relegated to boxes now. I added the Clone Turbo Tank to my shelves cuz there's no better AF analogue. Still, better than nuthin'...

Oh yeah, I added the TF Death Star (with landing gear(!)...looks like a TF Battleship core) which is good... but it took a ridiculous amount of time for me to assemble the fracker into a station... freakin' models are easier! It was, like, 30 steps to assemble it! Mechanical engineering is not for me...

My non-stomping beef with the line is that they're just a little too big for AF compatibility, they don't come with stands, and the design compromises a little too much for transformability, IMHO. I much preferred the TS Ultras (R.I.P.)... shame that they snuffed it.

Sergiu's post was interesting, though... didn't really know about RS's forums before. Is it just me, or are they a little bit disjointed and hard to follow? I still think SSG's better for the stuff I collect (ships)... and the peeps are kewl, too.

I think the AT-NN-HO-AT will look even goofier (sorry JG) with its neck extended... there'll be a weird seam at the minimum.The legs are a little willowy, too... this Ho would trip on her clear heels and fall on her face!