Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking SW and IJ Madlibs!

I got my recent Homing Beacon (#223, in fact) email, and it had a link to a story on Star Wars and Indiana Jones Madlibs (however, I couldn't get the link to load ) books. I loved them, and putting them in familiar settings like the Well of the Souls, on the Bantu Wind, Chalman's [sp?] Cantina, or a garbage masher sounds neato!
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I still have no idea what a madlib is. I got the same e-mail and thought hmm. then i deleted the e-mail.

So Ron, what is a madlib?

Quote Originally Posted by Jargo View Post
    I still have no idea what a madlib is. I got the same e-mail and thought hmm. then i deleted the e-mail.

So Ron, what is a madlib?
    Well, I'll answer for Ron. Ron? Do you might if I take this question? [mumble mumble] Ron says that's cool.

A Madlib, if you take the term "adlib," which means to make up something on the spot, at that time, like in adlibbed comedy or acting, then a Madlib is a written story that has various blanks throughout the story, with the part of speech that the context shows should be there. It's meant to make a weird, funny story, because it's done with two people. I will list an example below (but don't read the paragraph with blanks in it first! ) :

______ noun
    ______ verb
    ______ verb
    ______ adjective
    ______ noun
    ______ verb
    ______ a number
    ______ noun
    ______ adjective
    ______ adverb
    ______ noun
    ______ exclamation

If you just give examples of these words, when inserted into the story (which you wouldn't know before listing those words) it can be oddly constructed. Try it! (I'm not sure, but there might be a Madlibs thread somewhere here on SSG)

In my ______ (noun), there are several people who hate to dance. But one thing they can do is ______ (verb), even if it looks funny. One time, Bert, the company's foreman, ______ (verb) so hard that his ______ (adjective) leg was broken. By the time that ______ (noun) called the emergency unit, they had ______ (verb) already. No one could believe that it took ______ (number) minutes for them to arrive.
    Anyhow, the night of the big dance and the holiday ______ (noun), a group of ______ (adjective) professionals came in first, and really put on a great show. But one of the worst dancers fell ______ (adverb) with his ______ (noun) and yelled "______! " (exclamation) It was an embarrassing evening.
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 04-18-2008 at 07:21 PM.

In my playpen, there are several people who hate to dance. But one thing they can do is fart, even if it looks funny. One time, Bert, the company's foreman, slamdanced so hard that his rotted leg was broken. By the time that Enrique Iglesias called the emergency unit, they had urinated on him already. No one could believe that it took 1138 minutes for them to arrive.
    Anyhow, the night of the big dance and the holiday walrus, a group of flatulent professionals came in first, and really put on a great show. But one of the worst dancers fell retardedly with his genitals and yelled "Goony goo goo!" It was an embarrassing evening.

(That's complete with the types of stupid answers kids typically give.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Oh, BTW, the Clone Wars version came out last month. I ________ (past tense verb) to mention it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Oh, BTW, the Clone Wars version came out last month. I ________ (past tense verb) to mention it before.
    "Pooped"

HA!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Ha, ha, ha. That was real _________ (adjective).

I wonder if Lucas worked on his movie dialogue by using Madlibs...

My girlfriend bought me a couple of the CW Madlibs. I haven't had a chance to fill in the blanks with my niece and nephew.

Not the same genre, but the newest Choose Your Destiny (a.k.a. Choose Your Own Adventure) book is out, with a clone on the cover (don't recall its title).

Ironic that they'd put a clone on the cover of a "Choose Your Destiny" book.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.