Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast

I missed the 3.4 an hour before the 5.3 shaker (I guessed the magnitude as 5.1 right then) hit here. An angel (figurine) lost its wings. Rolling jolt that kept going. And a few aftershocks over 3.0, too.
    "That's what Sheev said."

SoCal is waking up!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I was in a movie theater last night when the 5.1 struck. The Raid 2 was about to start and then beat it to the punch - pun intended. Everyone left the theater, but eventually returned. The film, by the way, kicked more rear than the first one, if that's even possible. I still prefer the first, but the second was a more than worthy successor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    JT, are you alright? A 4.4 in your neck of the woods! Blink once for "okay;" blink twice for "Armageddon."

I felt nada here, but I was walking around after just awakening, so maybe I thought I was wobbly for other reasons.
    Oh, sorry broseph, I don't generally read this thread that often. I blinked twice.

I guess not (but I hope so), JT.

Should we be concerned over three distinct regions of the state (north off the coast, central, LA area) with 4.0+ quakes in the past week or so?
    Yeah, everything was fine. Nothing fell or broke in any of these recent ones.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    I wonder if this warning sign is from Crescent City, CA?
    Ha! Awesome. Should have had the hat.

I missed the 3.4 an hour before the 5.3 shaker (I guessed the magnitude as 5.1 right then) hit here. An angel (figurine) lost its wings. Rolling jolt that kept going. And a few aftershocks over 3.0, too.
    You were right, it was downgraded to a 5.1! Sorry you had a break, I'm surprised you felt it out that way, so much mountain between you and the epicenter. That 5.3/5.1 was a real meanie!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Here's an interesting article about the effects of the huge amount of ice that covered the Great Lakes this winter.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/23...-higher-water/

TI, did you feel that 4.3 shaker near you today? I didn't.

In noticing that same area of the earthquake map, apparently a -0.1 quake hit 24 km (15 mi) ESE of Coso Junction at 6:59:44, on April 15th. How?

TI, did you feel that 4.3 shaker near you today? I didn't.
    No, sir, I did not. It's been very active "up at the Lake" as we call it (that would be the Kern Valley/Lake Isabella area directly east of me). The area has been experiencing several 4s during the past few months. We do have a couple of local faults to be wary of: the Garlock Fault and the White Wolf Fault. One of them produced major damage to my fair town in 1952 (I can't remember which fault at the present). Then, there's the fault 40 miles west of me known as the San Andreas. We keep an eye on that one, too.

[edit] It was the White Wolf Fault. It was bugging me, so I had to look it up.
    http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/l...163233996.html
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

LA-area quake started as 3.8 and then upgraded to a 4.2 last night. I sure LOVED the local TV anchors whose concerns and "facts" were each discounted by the geologic expert they had on: no, there wasn't a Santa Monica aftershock; no this wasn't an aftershock of the one in March; no this doesn't statistically mean there will be a stronger quake soon.