Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Midwest Earthquake

I was awakened out of a deep sleep around 5:30 this morning by a rather loud booming sound that shook the walls of my bedroom. Stuff was falling off my dresser and I sat straight up in bed, wondering what the hell was going on.

My first thought was tornado - and I jumped out of bed, pulled on some shorts and rushed to the front door to look outside, but the night skies were clear and stars were shining. There was a train going by on the track in the distance, but trains on that line have never shook the house like this. It had to be an earthquake.

So I flipped on the TV and sure enough the local news anchors started reporting calls about the quake and said that the studio was hit too.

According to CNN, an earthquake measuring 5.2 magnitude hit the Midwest. The epicenter was in southern Illinois near the Indiana border.

I'm sure SoCal forumites will probably pooh-pooh us Midwesterners, but earthquake tremors aren't a part of daily life here. So did anyone else feel it?
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai View Post
    I'm sure SoCal forumites will probably pooh-pooh us Midwesterners, but earthquake tremors aren't a part of daily life here.
    Here's one SoCal-er who won't. Those bad boys are an awesome, scary experience! I've been through some nasty ones, including the Sylmar quake, where our house sustained some pretty good damage. We're just "lucky" to have them often that we tend to get complacent if they're "small". But 5.2 ain't small! That will certainly get your attention. I'm just glad you're OK, and no worse for the wear having gone through it!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

So that's what that was, I've never been through an earthquake before, so I thought it was just a super strong wind gust rocking my building. I felt the 10:15 aftershock for sure, I also thought it might be a tornado.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I live in South Bend and it didn't even wake me up. Being from Vegas and having so many decent Cali quakes rip me out of bed when I was younger. This one was nothing to me.
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]MOM, THROW DOWN SOME MONEY! THE ICE CREAM MAN IS COMIIING!!!![/FONT]

frickin frackin exciting isn't it? i was all hyped up like a goofball on speed when the quake hit us here in the uk. it was so surreal. you watch footage slowed down to show the way a quake shakes buildings but until you experience that movement and see the walls moving for yourself it just doesn't register that things like that happen for real. and the noise too. that's what i didn't expect. like a big passenger plane going overhead really low. but not like that at all when you think about it after, it's more like a sustained echo of something very very big fallen a long way down into an underground cavern. a huge bass boom. and it seems to be all around rather than coming from any one direction.

I have to say I loved our quake. I want more. which is sad i know but it takes a lot to get me excited and danger is something that does. makes me feel alive.

Nope. Didn't feel it. I'm all the way out here in Kansas though, so that's a bit farther away. They say this area is on a biiiig fault line, but we havn't had an earth quake here . . . ever. Or at least, none that anyone alive remembers.

I know this sounds crazy to people in california who have been through them, but I'd love to be in one just once to see what it's like.

Course, people not from tornado ally say the same thing about tornados. And they probably get the same reaction I will for saying this, which is,

"Oh no you DON'T want to go through one!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jargo View Post
    frickin frackin exciting isn't it? i was all hyped up like a goofball on speed when the quake hit us here in the uk. it was so surreal. you watch footage slowed down to show the way a quake shakes buildings but until you experience that movement and see the walls moving for yourself it just doesn't register that things like that happen for real. and the noise too. that's what i didn't expect. like a big passenger plane going overhead really low. but not like that at all when you think about it after, it's more like a sustained echo of something very very big fallen a long way down into an underground cavern. a huge bass boom. and it seems to be all around rather than coming from any one direction.

I have to say I loved our quake. I want more. which is sad i know but it takes a lot to get me excited and danger is something that does. makes me feel alive.
    It was pretty exciting and you described it pretty well. Like a thunderclap at it's most intense, but it doesn't die down after just a second or two, it keeps on going. Very cool, I almost can't wait for the next one, as long as it's not on the same level as the New Madrid quake from 1812.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Yeah. I felt it. I was watching the Padres' game on TV and the room just kind of took a jump. It was exactly like that. Really quick - just a jump.

My Arcee Transformer (pack-in with HA Skids) fell over because she was in bike form and it's precariously balanced) but that was about it.

But as with the last few, I instantly was up grabbing my shoes, keys, and phone, preparing to evacuate. But then nothing else happened so I went back to the Padres game.

They didn't even mention it on TV except during the post-game show. Perhaps a pitch for a strike came in too low because the batter jumped to 3 feet taller in that single instant as the earth bounced in SoCal? But nothing else happened.

In that stadium, I doubt you would feel anything less than a 7.0.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

That explains why the picture frame mysteriously fell off the shelf. I guess I wasn't sitting down at that moment, since I didn't "feel" it was a quake.
    "That's what Sheev said."

A series of nasty tremblors, with the big one being either 5.9 or 5.7 (it appears the US Geological Survey hasn't decided, as they show both on different pages), right near the border of San Diego and Imperial Counties and Mexico. Felt that sucker all the way up here for several seconds.

I will never get used to this.
    Tommy, close your eyes.