Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    I vote for a "Pick 'Em Up Party" at JT's!

It's mission is twofold: we pick up and re-pose JT's collection, AND we pick up JT's morale.

Like many others have said, JT has done tons of stuff for all of us for the better part of a decade (or more! He's gone the extra mile for my son and me for years!). It's the least we can do for him!

I'm not afraid to unleash my shenanigans! I've got MabuCon2008 under my belt!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I get a SEAT on the trolley, like 90% of the time. I have to sit down, as I'm not as strong as I used to be, and I get dizzy standing through the trolley's motion (and especially stopping). So I'm very agressive and fast at getting seats and I figure out where to get on board on the trolley as well. The front or very back tend to not collect as many people because folks congregate in the middle of the trolley stop. I just avoid doing exactly what everyone else is doing.

Then if I have to stand, I'm still slim I guess, so I dart in and snag a seat as soon as someone leaves. I specifically keep an eye out for that. And I'm medically challenged. So I will NOT yeild an available seat to even an old lady or a pregnant woman - I'm taking it. I have just as much need.

As to convenience? I'm used to the system down here. I make sure I ride the special Red Line and it takes me 30 minutes flat and no transfers.

Glad to see you've made some positive changes in your life, JT. If you ponder them, those alone will help you pick your morale up. I sure as heck need something to boost mine right now - though I'm not down on Star Wars.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

JediTricks, it is funny that you are saying some of what you are saying. My collection has made me a little depressed lately. I'll likely start a thread about it when I find the time to type it all. I can understand you cutting back or quitting collecting Star Wars figures. I can also understand you not wanting to do all the reporting, coverage, writeups, etc. anymore. I think we'd all support you in whatever you decide (as though you need our blessing). But I do think we would all miss you around here if you didn't tell us why the latest Smallville was terrible, why the new Star Trek reboot movie will suck, why the new G.I. Joe movie will be a disaster, why Tycho will be wrong to like Transformers 2, or to not just say the Dark Knight was good, but why.

Hope you hang around!

The SD trolley is a nice system, but it's kinda slow. You'd think they'd double the number of cars around areas when major events are going on. Like, say, downtown around Comic-Con or Padres games.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Droid: Transformers 2 is going to be awesome! Like Michael-Bay-awesome!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Well, there's nothing wrong with having some of your collection in storage bins as I can certainly attest to. I know we all have romanticized notions of having everything out on display but for most of us, it's a pipe dream.
    The thing is, I already have a bunch of those stupid bins in my apartment, and now a few on the balcony too. Once stuff goes in there, generally it goes to die.
    With a 20% discount, I was able to get a round trip for $54.40. For some reason, when I tried to book for that Friday of the Con a few weeks later, they would no longer accept the code and so I didn't book beforehand and left it open as to whether I'd go on that day or not.
    Right, I dunno why I was thinking $70 each way, it was half that last year. Not a bad price, but I spent less on gas for the whole 6-day trip.

As for the trolleys, Tycho's never mentioned how cramped they can get and how small the seats are. By comparison, our Metro subways and buses feel almost luxurious! (can't believe I just said that)
    Yeah, he really oversold the concept of the trolley at me last year, and the reality was a far cry from things. While I dumped $60 on parking at the con, the ability to drop my swag off halfway through, and to get off my feet and listen to my own tunes, not to mention get where I'm going in 13 minutes instead of 45, really was worth it (I had been planning to take the trolley on Thursday, but Steve's complications meant I had to get in early and there was NO WAY I'd waste a half hour I could be sleeping on that trolley business).

And the cost, LA has the pricing down all over San Diego as their transit pricing is by zone and it's complicated as hell. The newer SD trolley cars are actually decent, but you're right, the red line subway here is more comfortable, you're not as jammed into someone's face all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    I vote for a "Pick 'Em Up Party" at JT's!

It's mission is twofold: we pick up and re-pose JT's collection, AND we pick up JT's morale.

Like many others have said, JT has done tons of stuff for all of us for the better part of a decade (or more! He's gone the extra mile for my son and me for years!). It's the least we can do for him!

I'm not afraid to unleash my shenanigans! I've got MabuCon2008 under my belt!
    I appreciate the thought, but it's not as simple as that, there's a lot of side-issues at play that merely culminated in the earthquake. Plus, the only pick-up here is to move out of this apartment, it's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I get a SEAT on the trolley, like 90% of the time. I have to sit down, as I'm not as strong as I used to be, and I get dizzy standing through the trolley's motion (and especially stopping). So I'm very agressive and fast at getting seats and I figure out where to get on board on the trolley as well. The front or very back tend to not collect as many people because folks congregate in the middle of the trolley stop. I just avoid doing exactly what everyone else is doing. Then if I have to stand, I'm still slim I guess, so I dart in and snag a seat as soon as someone leaves. I specifically keep an eye out for that. And I'm medically challenged. So I will NOT yeild an available seat to even an old lady or a pregnant woman - I'm taking it. I have just as much need.
    Yeah, that sounds like a real blast fighting crowds for the last seat, jammed up in some creepy stranger's face all invading your personal space... wait a minute, maybe you're the creepy stranger!

As to convenience? I'm used to the system down here. I make sure I ride the special Red Line and it takes me 30 minutes flat and no transfers.
    35 minutes, plus the wait of up to 10 minutes for these things (I know they claim 5, but last year each one was over that). Or the 13 minutes it took me to get from your door to the Hilton parking lot next door to the con, and I don't have to stand and wait for any trolley.

Glad to see you've made some positive changes in your life, JT. If you ponder them, those alone will help you pick your morale up. I sure as heck need something to boost mine right now - though I'm not down on Star Wars.
    I'm confused as to how you see "positive changes" from me in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    JediTricks, it is funny that you are saying some of what you are saying. My collection has made me a little depressed lately. I'll likely start a thread about it when I find the time to type it all. I can understand you cutting back or quitting collecting Star Wars figures. I can also understand you not wanting to do all the reporting, coverage, writeups, etc. anymore. I think we'd all support you in whatever you decide (as though you need our blessing). But I do think we would all miss you around here if you didn't tell us why the latest Smallville was terrible, why the new Star Trek reboot movie will suck, why the new G.I. Joe movie will be a disaster, why Tycho will be wrong to like Transformers 2, or to not just say the Dark Knight was good, but why.

Hope you hang around!
    Thank you, I appreciate that a lot. And I would hope someone would take up the mantle of expounding on why stuff sucks if I left. I'm definitely getting the Falcon at the end of the month, but then what? I dunno. So weird having long-timers like us feeling confused and frustrated by how collecting is, but maybe after 13 years it's important to take a hard look at these sorts of things.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    The SD trolley is a nice system, but it's kinda slow. You'd think they'd double the number of cars around areas when major events are going on. Like, say, downtown around Comic-Con or Padres games.
    The people on the transit board are nuts, there's such a weird routing for the trolleys, and the buses are way confusing when you see it laid out, and the pricing is crazy, and then they make special lines that it turns out don't run extra and don't run as late as they need to.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Since we're talking about the SD trolley, I wonder if I would've been better off walking from the train station to the convention center? It didn't look like that long of a walk.

Tycho, sure you can always get a seat because you have a legitimate right to one. However, I'm a chronic seat yielder whenever I take public transportation so I often have to count on not getting a seat.

Going to the con, I took the front car and then another guy, looked a bit like Dustin Roberts, maybe it was even him and he had press registration though I didn't see his name, took the seat next to me and I felt very squished. Leaving the con is even worse because not only is it crowded but everyone has bagloads of stuff.

Assuming I take the Amtrak down there next year, I might consider walking as it looks like it might just be a 15 min. walk for me.

It's an 8/10ths of a mile walk, the same one I have when I walk to the Vista theater, so it's probably not a bad walk - 15 mins at the most, the trolley with wait is roughly the same - but keep in mind that your feet will hate you for that walk after a day at the convention center (and I believe it's slightly uphill, to boot).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    (and I believe it's slightly uphill, to boot).
    Unless you pay the extra fee, it's uphill both ways.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    It's an 8/10ths of a mile walk, the same one I have when I walk to the Vista theater, so it's probably not a bad walk - 15 mins at the most, the trolley with wait is roughly the same - but keep in mind that your feet will hate you for that walk after a day at the convention center (and I believe it's slightly uphill, to boot).
    Well, my walk to the Vista is uphill. Of course, it's also but a fraction of your walk over there.

All of this could be moot, however, as I'll most likely try to book a room so I can stay for 2 days at least. I don't think I could take 3 or more days there!