Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    So what was this thread originally about anyhow?
    Actually, I hijacked the thread about the Ohio earthquake to connect it to the LA area one a little bit ago. Must be those crazy shifting techtonic plates...
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

How about those Chinese plates?

I have felt (pun intended) that I've been feeling more little earthquakes lately, and the news reported that several have been based near the Salton Sea (probably 100+ miles away from here) over the past few days, which apparently is on a southern connector to the infamous San Andreas Fault. Maybe Mother Nature is mad that her best shaker has been linked to violent video games...

Frighteningly enough, that fault has apparently been dormant for around 300 years, and is overdue for a big shaker.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I seem to remember from a geography course that the Salton Sea was created from an earthquake that let the run-off water collect in the basin it left there.

No the Salton Sea is the sight of the landing of a huge alien spacecraft that was used to transport North American dinosaurs off the planet before a giant asteroid hit the earth.

Ah! the Ark of dinosaur meat.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

You know how the publishing cartels will never give the true truth...

This thread now looks like a joke next to the Italian earthquake.

Geeze. Those poor folks never had a chance, I guess.

It makes me rethink living in California a little. But I think quakes are less frequent than Midwest tornadoes or Southern hurricanes and Northeast snowstorms.

No. I'll stay in SoCal thank you. I'd suppose Italy is equally as appealing to Italians. (I've been there, but I'd rather be Californian any day of the week.)

The ironic thing is that Italians were not only forewarned but they did have a chance to prepare or evacuate several weeks prior to the quake. A scientist there was using a new method to predict earthquakes by measuring radon gas levels/emissions and discovered that a major quake could be possible. He even had vans with loudspeakers attached to them drive through the streets in an attempt to warn people.

CNN story