Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

If you heat your food in tupperware or styrofoam, you could get cancer and die!

I read about this new study in my newspaper.

You know how you go to Panda Express and you get your happy panda meal in the foam to-go-box? Don't microwave it in that. Put the food on a plate!

Also don't microwave your food in tupperware storage containers!

Little bits of plastic get cooked into your food each time and the collagulate in your blood stream and organs! This is not healthy.

So you know how some people theorize that modern conveniences are causing modern health hazards? OK, I really don't even need to spell out the rest of this thought.

Just be a little less lazy with regards to washing one more dish if you heat up leftovers or bring in take-out.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Any plate or bowl that has a recycling code of 7 is apparently dangerous.

However, most food tastes better reheated in a pan or in the oven, two places plastic shouldn't go anyway. It takes longer, but the results are better.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

hear hear. microwaves should only be used to defrost stuff that's been deep frozen in my opinion. food tastes 1,000,000,000,000 times better when cooked in a natural gas oven or on a natural gas hob. electric ovens dry food out too much. microwaved food tastes really odd to me. even if cooked on a plate. it has a sort of lack of real flavour and the food seems limp and dead somehow.

I always cook microwave meals in a real gas oven or on the stove top in a pan. Actually i say that but i don't cook anything. My partner does it. under my supervision....

Can anyone describe the recycling codes?

Chux referred to Code 7. Which is like what?

My paper had a reference guide to Codes 1-6 or more, but I'll have to see if I can find it. I'm asking anyone else in the meanwhile.

I lost my mother to cancer. It makes me wonder. And yes she did use tupperware, and I think she heated things in the microwave using it.

As to Jargo's comment about microwave meals (the kind that usually come in cardboard boxes) - I'd think they are fine prepared in the micro. He might be right about them tasting better prepared another way - but I don't buy those to take more time to prepare them.

Meanwhile, "Healthy Choice" which goes so far as to really attempt to either control or reveal their nutrician ingreedients, serves their microwave meals in plastic trays with plastic film covers over them. WTF? "Health food" cooked with real microscopic pieces of plastic in every bite? I'm really considering writing their company and asking them to change their packaging. The meals are still good. Their containers may not be. I wonder if it would do any good? Maybe I should write the newspaper?

Finally, isn't all this comparable to preparing salad greens for a healthy meal and then using arsenic for the flavored dressing?

Dang! I have other health problems that could likely claim my life first, but you'd think we'd have gotten a clue about this one sooner? Microwaves have been commonly around in homes since the 1980's!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I saw an interview with Sheryl Crow, might have been on Larry King. Talking about her cancer survival. She was mentioning microwavable foods and the containers they come in causing cancer. She also mentioned water bottles that you leave in your car that get hot. Generally anything in plastic that gets to an extreme temperature is potentially suspect. She also mentioned the freezing part being harmful. I don't know where she got her info, but it sounded believable.

Let me guess was this study done by Scripps Clinic of San Diego? They were one of the first to say artificial sweeteners when heated (put in coffee) change their chemical makeup and are potentially cancerous. This was back in the eighties.

I threw out my Teflon lined pots and pans years ago because of the non-stick part flaking off and being ingested causing cancer. I only cook in stainless steel and occasionally cast iron now.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    I threw out my Teflon lined pots and pans years ago because of the non-stick part flaking off and being ingested causing cancer. I only cook in stainless steel and occasionally cast iron now.
    I have a pot for cooking spaghetti. It has the holes in the lid to make it easier to strain. I started to notice dark specks in the macaroni and cheese. I finally realized it was coming from the pan, so I stopped using that one.

I can't think of too many situations where I cook stuff in plastic, other than TV dinner type things that come packaged that way. I wouldn't think the plastic covers on the Healthy Choice would be an issue. It's above the food and not really touching it. The small amount that could get in the food would probably not be an issue unless you ate food prepared this way all the time.

Besides, this might just be another one of those hyped up things that get posted on the internet, as this link suggests:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/dioxins.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    Let me guess was this study done by Scripps Clinic of San Diego?
    That's who's orchestrating my kidney transplant.

I put a post up about this over at Tycho's MySpace page... so you'll have to go over there and read it (if and when) he approves the comment.

PlasticFetish: I'm sure I would have approved your comment, but I didn't see it at all!

I saw you gave me "kudos" on my blog - but maybe the comment just hasn't gone through the system yet? Anyway, I'll be on the lookout for it.

I'll try posting it again. (I swear MySpace is run by monkeys. I always have tons of problems posting things.)