Page 123 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133173 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1890
    I had my first attempt at biscuits and gravy. It went pretty well imho, although I need to work on my gravy making skills.

You have taken your first step into a larger, gravier world, my young apprentice.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    You have taken your first step into a larger, gravier world, my young apprentice.
    And here I thought you'd make a comment about taking a step towards the southern side of the Force?

I make gravy frequently to go on my potatoes, but I still have trouble with it. I just use flour, milk, and some sort of chicken flavor stuff to add to it. I never know how much of each to put in to get the right amount and right thickness. It ends up working well enough for me, though.

There's the phrase "good gravy" for a reason; there is no way to have a bad one. (read the Magna Carta AND the Bolivian Constitution; it's true).

All those TV commercials telling me about Burger King's new and improved (uh oh) fries finally worked: BK Something? Burger and a large fries. They were decent, but nothing to write at home about. Wait a minute...
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    I make gravy frequently to go on my potatoes, but I still have trouble with it. I just use flour, milk, and some sort of chicken flavor stuff to add to it. I never know how much of each to put in to get the right amount and right thickness. It ends up working well enough for me, though.
    I was going for more of a 'white' gravy. Butter, flower, milk and salt and pepper. I think I know what I did wrong, I didn't put in enough milk, the gravy was a little flourly. I put this 'creation' with shrimp and andouie (sp) sausage over my biscuits. Although the stock is an excellant idea!

Went to Balaton last night and had some beef goulash with dumplings. I had the other half for lunch today. I had a bowl of steak burger soup for mini-dinner before the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    I was going for more of a 'white' gravy. Butter, flower, milk and salt and pepper. I think I know what I did wrong, I didn't put in enough milk, the gravy was a little flourly. I put this 'creation' with shrimp and andouie (sp) sausage over my biscuits. Although the stock is an excellant idea!
    Here's a tip: melt the butter in the pan first and add the flour to it and let the flour cook. If you don't let the flour cook a little before you start adding the wet ingredients, you will get that awful powdery taste.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

"Sawmill gravy" is what you guys are talking about, and while I'm not a huge fan, it does benefit from a fat to sufficiently blend the flour with the milk. My roommate would use bacon grease and drippings which adds a ton of nuance.

I'm going to probably skip lunch today as I made myself a big breakfast: a bunch of egg substitute scrambled (I came within mere moments of going omelet, but backed out due to the fear that I'd blow it and/or not like it), fried up a potato latke, a couple strips of bacon, and 2 slices of sourdough toast.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I had popcorn for lunch. I wasn't particularly hungry. I'm going over to my dad and stepmum's this evening for brisket and latkes to celebrate the first night of Chewbacca.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

"On the 8th parcec of Chewbacca, my Wookiee growled to me..." Or, should I have used the same syllables from "dradle" and "wookiee"?

Only a banana and water, plus one bite-size Snickers mini.