Page 135 of 191 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145185 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1901
    I was actually at Dairy Queen today as well. First my girlfriend and I went to a pizza place for which I had a coupon for a free small pizza. Later, we felt like having something ice creamy, so we went to DQ. She had a banana split and I had a small Blizzard. It was the flavor of the month, which was some sort of carmel pie delight or something. I saw a thing on our table promoting the chicken strip basket, though, and it looked pretty good. If only we hadn't already had pizza.

No lunch today....but....Elephant Bar for dinner. On Prom Night. Busy. Hot and cold running teenage hormones on the menu dressed in formals and tuxes.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Yesterday it was a Jumbo Jack with cheese and 2 tacos. Today I am about to eat Trader Joe's Rosemary Apricot Chicken Salad, it's really good.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I was at Trader Joe's yesterday and actually remembered to pick up a pack of their pho. I'll let you know how it compares to "authentic" (didn't you say you weren't familiar with it?).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I am thinking either a Trader Joe's spicy thai chicken prepared noodle salad, or one of the soups mentioned below.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I was at Trader Joe's yesterday and actually remembered to pick up a pack of their pho. I'll let you know how it compares to "authentic" (didn't you say you weren't familiar with it?).
    Quite right, and just yesterday while I was looking through my freezer for dinner and saw my own package of Pho, I wondered if you had ever gotten down to trying it. (I ended up not having it last night, just wanted something not soup - T Joes now has 3 great Asian soups in the freezer: Pho, Vegetable Kao Soi (very spicy, very good coconut soup), and Chicken Wonton soup (veggies so fresh you should add 15 seconds to the cooking to get them a little less crisp - soup in general shouldn't have crisp things ).

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

No lunch; early afternoon dental appointment.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Well, I ended up having to nuke a hot pocket because I mismanaged time and had to leave, so I had that thai peanut chicken prepared noodle salad for dinner instead.

Today I am probably doing Sizzler or Chipotle or maybe even Souplantation.

Finally trying the Trader Joe's frozen pho, and here's my thoughts:

The first thing that struck me was there were no bean sprouts or cilantro visible or that I could taste. I know bean sprouts are tough to do frozen, but they're pretty important.

I tried some of the liquid before adding water, and it tasted very good. It actually tasted more like pho that's been seasoned upon serving than the basic broth, but that's a good thing for a frozen meal.

When I added the water, I triple-checked I'd got the amount right. This is, by far, the thickest pho I've ever seen. Also, unfortunately, when I added the water, it diluted the taste quite a bit.

Haven't had pho with bell peppers or carrots, both of which this had quite a bit of, but that's not a bad thing, either.

When I realized the taste was going to be weaker than I'm used to, I tossed a couple of fresh jalapeno slices in. I added fish sauce, sriracha, and hoisin to the finished product (like I would in a restaurant). It was at this point I realized I had no mint (which doesn't appear to be in the pho already, either) or lemon, nor did I have fresh basil, so I added a bit of fresh orange juice and dried basil.

It's pretty good; I like it. I think it's just far enough from "real" pho that I wouldn't call it that, but no biggie. I do wish the flavor were a bit stronger without adding the extras, since a frozen meal shouldn't require tinkering, but, again, no biggie.

You should try it in a restaurant sometime if you like this. It's usually around $4-6 for a bowl about twice the size of what the TJ's makes (less solid stuff, but a lot more meat, unless someone's being stingy). Aren't there millions of pho places in LA?

BTW, it definitely tastes like there's lemongrass in there, even if I can't see any.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Today it's Indian take out for lunch from Samosa House East. I'm thinking charcoal cauliflower, bbq soy, soy chicken, and a samosa. Dessert is cheesecake factory cheesecake from the store in the Marina (it's a friend's birthday, so I picked one up yesterday afternoon).

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Finally trying the Trader Joe's frozen pho, and here's my thoughts:

The first thing that struck me was there were no bean sprouts or cilantro visible or that I could taste. I know bean sprouts are tough to do frozen, but they're pretty important.

I tried some of the liquid before adding water, and it tasted very good. It actually tasted more like pho that's been seasoned upon serving than the basic broth, but that's a good thing for a frozen meal.

When I added the water, I triple-checked I'd got the amount right. This is, by far, the thickest pho I've ever seen. Also, unfortunately, when I added the water, it diluted the taste quite a bit.

Haven't had pho with bell peppers or carrots, both of which this had quite a bit of, but that's not a bad thing, either.

When I realized the taste was going to be weaker than I'm used to, I tossed a couple of fresh jalapeno slices in. I added fish sauce, sriracha, and hoisin to the finished product (like I would in a restaurant). It was at this point I realized I had no mint (which doesn't appear to be in the pho already, either) or lemon, nor did I have fresh basil, so I added a bit of fresh orange juice and dried basil.

It's pretty good; I like it. I think it's just far enough from "real" pho that I wouldn't call it that, but no biggie. I do wish the flavor were a bit stronger without adding the extras, since a frozen meal shouldn't require tinkering, but, again, no biggie.

You should try it in a restaurant sometime if you like this. It's usually around $4-6 for a bowl about twice the size of what the TJ's makes (less solid stuff, but a lot more meat, unless someone's being stingy). Aren't there millions of pho places in LA?

BTW, it definitely tastes like there's lemongrass in there, even if I can't see any.
    Thanks for the review, glad to hear you like it even if it's not quite up to snuff (but it is frozen and three bucks).

You made it wrong I think, as you added the water AFTER you nuked it, it says to add the water BEFORE cooking it - no idea if that'd change anything though, and that would let you control the flavor power, but I've never found it weak OR thick doing it water-first so I'm guessing that does change things.

I think bean sprouts need to be fresh to work in something like that, apparently they're a southern Vietnam add-on, but much of the stuff they DID use in their soup is also from there so regionality is not exactly tight that way. Cilantro is in the ingredients list, I guess they filtered out the leaves after they made the broth (too bad, I like the leaves, their wonton soup has 'em), and there's coriander extract in there as well which is also cilantro.

Mmm, sriracha, that's a great idea, I've been meaning to buy a bottle but it doesn't play well with my asthma so I need to be careful with it.

There is mint, lime, and basil in the broth, but if you want the physical aspect you can't go wrong with add-ons. Sounds like you made it your own. And you are right on the money that there's lemongrass in the broth, it's high up in the ingredients list.

There aren't as many Vietnamese places on the west side of town, there are a lot where I used to live in East Hollywood. I'll keep an eye out for one here though.

I did actually add water before cooking, but I did it on the stovetop. I just sampled a drop of the liquid that was being especially stubborn and didn't want to travel from the container to the pot.

This may be presumptuous, but I'm guessing most of the Vietnamese restaurants in America are owned by, or at least cater to, people from the former South Vietnam, which could explain why I'm more familiar with bean sprouts than carrots.
    Tommy, close your eyes.