Page 136 of 181 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1801
    Today we had a school meeting and had lunch out; I selected a small Caesar salad and water.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I did actually add water before cooking, but I did it on the stovetop. I just sampled a drop of the liquid that was being especially stubborn and didn't want to travel from the container to the pot.

This may be presumptuous, but I'm guessing most of the Vietnamese restaurants in America are owned by, or at least cater to, people from the former South Vietnam, which could explain why I'm more familiar with bean sprouts than carrots.
    Stovetop instructions, I forgot they even had those! I only microwave it, so it didn't occur to me. I wonder if that makes a big difference in the final version, if you give that a try LMK.

I don't know enough about southern Vietnamese immigration vs northern to say one way or another, but yours is as good an argument as I could imagine.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I ended up having the Trader Joe's pho soup for today's lunch, this conversation I guess got under my skin, i was actually looking for something entirely else. The microwaved version was the same as ever, so the broth was broth-like, not at all thick. I tried it with some Sriracha I had just bought (I go with the Huy Fong, I know it's not authentic but it's made in LA and it's the biggest brand in the US) thanks also to this conversation, and that is a dangerous combination. Sriracha has a lot of flavor (and salt and heat) so even the few drops I used nearly overpowered the somewhat delicate pho (that's one of the things I like about this soup, it's not being bossy, there isn't a single flavor overwhelming the others) but it definitely added a lot of personality.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It's normally served in the restaurant with just the broth, noodles, meat, and onions (and occasionally cilantro) in the bowl, with a plate of accoutrements that varies from place to place (in my experience always bean sprout, lime or lemon, and either jalapeno or serrano slices, along with some green stuff that differs, some combo of Thai basil, cilantro, and various types of mint). Fish sauce, hoisin sauce, and sriracha are usually on the table (sometimes you have to ask), and no two people wind up with a bowl that tastes the same.

I'm sort of a hot food junkie and keep several types of hot sauce on hand at all times. I always like to have a chipotle sauce (either chipotle Tabasco or Cholula), a habanero sauce, Texas Pete or Frank's (or, preferably, both), Cholula or Tapatio, and Huy Fong. Strange at it sounds, they all have different flavors that work best for different foods.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Yesterday I took my niece to Chipotle, we each got steak burritos, she hadn't eaten breakfast so she finished her monstrous burrito faster than I did mine.

Today I am taking a few friends to Norms or Souplantation maybe.

It's normally served in the restaurant with just the broth, noodles, meat, and onions (and occasionally cilantro) in the bowl, with a plate of accoutrements that varies from place to place (in my experience always bean sprout, lime or lemon, and either jalapeno or serrano slices, along with some green stuff that differs, some combo of Thai basil, cilantro, and various types of mint). Fish sauce, hoisin sauce, and sriracha are usually on the table (sometimes you have to ask), and no two people wind up with a bowl that tastes the same.

I'm sort of a hot food junkie and keep several types of hot sauce on hand at all times. I always like to have a chipotle sauce (either chipotle Tabasco or Cholula), a habanero sauce, Texas Pete or Frank's (or, preferably, both), Cholula or Tapatio, and Huy Fong. Strange at it sounds, they all have different flavors that work best for different foods.
    Mmm, "green stuff".

You know, now that I have a bottle of Sriracha in the house, I can sorta see why purists take issue with it, it's a might sweeter at home than when I get it at the restaurants, I wonder if leaving it out longer will help with that. Apparently, authentic sriracha has more garlic than sugar which is the opposite of Huy Fong.

I used to have a bottle of Tabasco classic around at all times, but I kept going through it too fast, I'd eventually get sores that were burns on the inside of the mouth and the tongue from doing too much Tabasco, so for the past couple months I have stopped buying it (with a single relapse in the first 2 weeks ). Unfortunately, with the sriracha I'm already starting to worry because it has 3 times the sodium per serving and is going faster than I'd like.

I'm very picky about Cholula and Tapatio, in that I cannot stand either one about 90% of the time. It stems from my roommate back in the '90s making some burgers with Tapatio in a frying pan and letting the sauce burn, that stuff smells AWFUL when it burns, easily one of the worst smells I've ever smelled; I never liked the flavor to begin with, but that stench pushed me entirely off the stuff. That said, Fritos had Tapatio Frito Twists last year and they were excellent, possibly the best spicy chips of all time, but they discontinued them for Tapatio Doritos which are rank nasty. Cholula just kinda reminds me a little of Tapatio so I generally don't go for it by instinct, but occasionally I'll have it at restaurants if there's nothing else and it's ok for a few bites.

Frank's Red Hot is frustrating, it's an ok sauce but the flavor seems more commercial today than it did a decade ago, like they raised the salt and lowered the heat.

I've never had Texas Pete's, I think I've seen it at Whole Foods - they have a lot of choices - but never got around to it.

I totally hear you on each one having a unique flavor, absolutely. If you ever want to try the hottest, craziest sauce, track down Brother Bru Bru's Hot Pepper Sauce, it's got no sodium or vinegar so it's a really unique flavor and it's hotter than the sun (or it was when I got it 8 or 9 years ago): http://www.brobrubru.com/

I don't dislike Tabasco, but it's so heavy on the vinegar that I can't use it as often. Texas Pete is a NC-based hot sauce company that's just fairly recently started appearing nationwide. (Before I could find it at the supermarket here, I'd go to Chick-Fil-A and get a lot more packets than necessary. I often joke that true North Carolinians have blood that's about 50% Sun Drop and 50% Texas Pete. Sun Drop also started appearing out here within the last year or so; it's sort of like what Mountain Dew would be if it didn't taste like pee.) TP is sort of between what Frank's used to be and Tapatio, only a bit sweeter.

I picked up some Melinda's Naga Jolokia sauce last night. Haven't had a chance to try it. I have a feeling it's going to be one I have to use very, very sparingly.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I don't dislike Tabasco, but it's so heavy on the vinegar that I can't use it as often. Texas Pete is a NC-based hot sauce company that's just fairly recently started appearing nationwide. (Before I could find it at the supermarket here, I'd go to Chick-Fil-A and get a lot more packets than necessary. I often joke that true North Carolinians have blood that's about 50% Sun Drop and 50% Texas Pete. Sun Drop also started appearing out here within the last year or so; it's sort of like what Mountain Dew would be if it didn't taste like pee.) TP is sort of between what Frank's used to be and Tapatio, only a bit sweeter.

I picked up some Melinda's Naga Jolokia sauce last night. Haven't had a chance to try it. I have a feeling it's going to be one I have to use very, very sparingly.
    What's wrong with vinegar in hot sauce? I've heard a lot of people complain about that, to me it's a perfect carrier for the tabasco chile flavor.

Texas Pete is from North Carolina? What do they say in the Pace Picante commercial, "New York City?!? Get a rope."

I have also noticed Sun Drop hitting around here recent, I've never tried Sun Drop but I find Mountain Dew and Mello Yello taste like soap.

I've never heard of Naga Jolokia sauce, sounds dangerous just from the name.

Naga Jolokia is the ghost pepper. I think it may have been very recently unseated, but it's the hottest known pepper (or at least was).

I don't dislike vinegar. I actually quite like it, but the vinegar content in the basic Tabasco is so high that it hurts my teeth to use more than a little of it.

I hope Sun Drop sells well nationwide so they'll start carrying the caffeine-free variety around here.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I drove past a few pho places today, but wasn't inspired enough by Chux' and Tricks' Place to try them.

Coupons to Chick Fil-A (a #1 meal, no pickle, and fruit punch to drink), plus a stop at Handel's for ice cream (supposed to be Snappy Turtle flavor; and there was chocolate ice cream, there were pecans, but alas no caramel ).
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."