Page 43 of 189 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast
    Yesterday, our new arena (for a minor league hockey team the Reign... affiliated with the Kings) had its grand opening to the public. They had their food at 50% off, so I tried their garlic fries. TOO much garlic; had to scrape it off.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Yesterday I had peanuts for lunch. My sched was all goofy and I felt like staying home, so I just grabbed a handful of those for lunch.

Today, I'm either taking my mom to lunch somewhere (maybe Souplantation, I could go for a few passes at the salad bar) or I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    The ones I highlighted in bold we don't have here. Some of them are elsewhere in Washington, but not close to me. Of the rest, I haven't eaten at Panda Express or Popeye's. The latter is kind of new. I think I ate at one in an airport, but I got a chef's salad or something. I've never ordered from Papa John's, but I think I've had some at work.
    Popeyes isn't new, it's been around since the '70s, around here since the '80s, and they're actually the #2 chicken chain in terms of store numbers. It's New Orleans-style fried chicken, spicy, and every side dish has meat in it.

I'm not surprised you don't have In-n-Out, Foster's, Fatburger or Tommy's, those are all VERY local (granted, many of the original fast food chains started here in SoCal - McDonalds, Wienerschnitzel, Jack in the Box, Carl's Jr., Taco Bell), Del Taco is fairly local but a national chain. I am surprised you don't have Baja Fresh in local minimalls, Hot Dog on a Stick in malls. I didn't realize El Pollo Loco was sorta localized still, they have a small east coast presence too. Carl's Jr is pretty sizable, I think they're #4, but that's only after they bought Hardee's. Rally's isn't even local, they pushed into this area about 20 years ago and have been struggling to get footing ever since, they're bigger in the south, I believe.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The last remaining slice of left over cheese pizza from take out from a local Italian restaurant and a Coke with lots o' ice!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Popeyes isn't new, it's been around since the '70s, around here since the '80s, and they're actually the #2 chicken chain in terms of store numbers. It's New Orleans-style fried chicken, spicy, and every side dish has meat in it.
    What I meant was that this location was new, having opened in the last year or two I think.

I'm not surprised you don't have In-n-Out, Foster's, Fatburger or Tommy's, those are all VERY local (granted, many of the original fast food chains started here in SoCal - McDonalds, Wienerschnitzel, Jack in the Box, Carl's Jr., Taco Bell), Del Taco is fairly local but a national chain. I am surprised you don't have Baja Fresh in local minimalls, Hot Dog on a Stick in malls. I didn't realize El Pollo Loco was sorta localized still, they have a small east coast presence too. Carl's Jr is pretty sizable, I think they're #4, but that's only after they bought Hardee's. Rally's isn't even local, they pushed into this area about 20 years ago and have been struggling to get footing ever since, they're bigger in the south, I believe.
    A lot of them do have locations here in Washington state, but not close to me. They are all in Seattle or points south. I'm in a city of about 75,000 near the Canadian border.

Carl's Jr - Closest one is Renton, WA

In-N-Out - Looks like they are only in CA, NV, AZ & UT. I saw a few when I was in the San Francicso area in July.

Foster's Freeze - Appears to be CA only

Hot Dog on a Stick - Closest one is Lynnwood, WA

Baja Fresh - Closest one is Everett, WA

Del Taco - Closest is Federal Way, WA

El Pollo Loco - Closest is Vancouver, WA

Rally's - Closest is Madera, CA

Fatburger - Closest in U.S. is Lynnwood, WA, but Langley, B.C. is probably closer if I want to cross the border.

Original Tommy's - Closest appears to be Valencia, CA

When I eat at the food court at the mall (which isn't very often), I usually go to Subway. I've had Sbarro a few times, and there is a McDonald's in there too. I've yet to try Manchu Wok or Ivar's. I've had Orange Julius before. There is a Taco Time there, but I guess I prefer Taco Bell.

I wish Popeye's would go under and Bojangle's would go national, filling the void. The last time I had Popeye's (about a month ago), it was bland and forgettable. Bojangle's never disappoints.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Souplantation it was. I made a salad with pasta in it for once, "pasta salad", ha ha. Salad bar was decent, hot food was a little sub-par, soup was great - I had 2 bowls of Albondigas Locas (spicy meatball soup). Free cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    What I meant was that this location was new, having opened in the last year or two I think.
    Me words good no.

A lot of them do have locations here in Washington state, but not close to me. They are all in Seattle or points south. I'm in a city of about 75,000 near the Canadian border.
    Eww, does that mean they sell gas in litres there?

Carl's Jr - Closest one is Renton, WA
    Find yourself there... often.

In-N-Out - Looks like they are only in CA, NV, AZ & UT. I saw a few when I was in the San Francicso area in July.
    Yeah, they are very local, but very very awesome.

Foster's Freeze - Appears to be CA only
    They are super local, but their own version of awesome, and even though they're a dessert stand primarily, they make a mean burger and lunch goodies. Actually, I need to get to Fosters more often. Some El Pollo Locos have their frozen treats now though, but it's not the same.

Hot Dog on a Stick - Closest one is Lynnwood, WA
    If you find yourself there, get a dog and a lemonade, and another dog with mustard, and fries but you usually have to salt them yourself.

Baja Fresh - Closest one is Everett, WA
    Good but not worth going way out of your way for.

Del Taco - Closest is Federal Way, WA
    Ditto.

El Pollo Loco - Closest is Vancouver, WA
    Wait, there's a Vancouver in Washington? That's very confusing!

Rally's - Closest is Madera, CA
    HAW! Yeah, that's not close. If you ever find yourself there with like 3 people to feed, check it out, they have a lot of 2 burgers for $3 or $4 that are loaded with toppings.

Fatburger - Closest in U.S. is Lynnwood, WA, but Langley, B.C. is probably closer if I want to cross the border.
    Wow, I didn't expect there to be a Fatburger in Canada or Washington!

Original Tommy's - Closest appears to be Valencia, CA
    No surprise, the original Original Tommy's is down the street from here at Beverly and Rampart or Rimpau, not far and not a good neighborhood.

When I eat at the food court at the mall (which isn't very often), I usually go to Subway. I've had Sbarro a few times, and there is a McDonald's in there too. I've yet to try Manchu Wok or Ivar's. I've had Orange Julius before. There is a Taco Time there, but I guess I prefer Taco Bell.
    Subway is nice but not "special" anymore. Still, I like them for the veggies and bread foremost, the meat just brings it all together.

Sbarro is rank mall food, nigh-inedible pizza that should be condemned by the Pope. Never heard of Manchu Wok or Ivar's, the latter doesn't really sound like much of anything.

Orange Julius is pretty awesome, that too is an LA thing, an LA Jew thing no less, and somehow it took off. I bought my sister one a few weeks ago at the mall, they're pretty uncommon here, almost as uncommon as Dairy Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I wish Popeye's would go under and Bojangle's would go national, filling the void. The last time I had Popeye's (about a month ago), it was bland and forgettable. Bojangle's never disappoints.
    Wow, I haven't had Popeyes in a while but it was never bland, just over-battered (I'm a believer in Pioneer-style breading or KFC-style batter, anything bigger than that is too much... I miss Pioneer Chicken, but not enough to go to any of the last 5). I wonder if that had something to do with being merged with Church's Chicken, who is IMO the least-competent fast food chicken ever (they make up for their crummy flavor with incredible deals though, but so did Popeyes).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I dunno. I remember them being somewhat spicy, but this last time was really rather tasteless. Plus, jambalaya wasn't on the menu.

If you make it to the southeast in your travels, definitely go to Bojangle's. A steak biscuit, dirty rice, and 32-oz sweet tea is the best lunch in the world (though some prefer their chicken, I think their steak biscuit is the bee's knees... and ankles, and everything else).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I went to a Vietnamese restaurant yesterday with my sister. We had spring vegetable rolls with dipping sauce. Then the main course was a vegetable bowl with some kind of clear sauce, with rice vermecelli, and marinated then fried tofu. To drink was some cold coffee drink. The best cold coffee I've ever had.
    I must say I was a little apprehensive about eating Vietnamese as it was my first time and I couldn't remember what the names of the dishes were, but it was mighty tasty.

I'm trying to venture outside my comfort zone.

Eww, does that mean they sell gas in litres there?
    Nope, you have to go across the border for that. But, in the days before cable, we had to watch a lot of Canadian TV.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Wait, there's a Vancouver in Washington? That's very confusing!
    Yes, it is just across the river from Portland.

Subway is nice but not "special" anymore. Still, I like them for the veggies and bread foremost, the meat just brings it all together.
    I like it because it is bit more healthy than typical fast food, at least in terms of fat. Kind of high in sodium though, especially since I have pickles and olives on my turkey breast sandwich.

Sbarro is rank mall food, nigh-inedible pizza that should be condemned by the Pope. Never heard of Manchu Wok or Ivar's, the latter doesn't really sound like much of anything.
    Yeah, I've passed on Sbarro in recent years, except for once or twice in the airport. We passed by a big one in New York City that looked like it had a buffet or something in it. That would be more to my liking. Manchu Wok seems pretty widespread across the country based on what I saw on their website. The wiki page says it started in Canada and is similar to Panda Express. I've not eaten there so I don't know. Until you mentioned it, I didn't realize Panda Express was a chain. Ivar's is sort of a Seattle icon, famous for their clam chowder and seafood. I think they still sponsor the Seattle 4th of July fireworks display, the Fourth of Jul-Ivars.

Blue2th, Vietnamese food is the shiznit.
    Tommy, close your eyes.