Page 154 of 193 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 1924
    Had intended to have an early dinner/late lunch at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner place near Knott's Berry Farm, but it ended up as really just dinner. Menu for me? Country fried steak, mashed potatoes & gravy, corn, salad, chicken noodle soup, too many biscuits, water. Took the leftovers and dessert home.
    "That's what Sheev said."

It's been a really long time since I had chicken-fried steak, I think since early teens, but I remember it being ruinous of an otherwise adequate piece of beef in both texture and flavor. I would hope that's not the case with yours, especially way out at Knott's, but every time I see it on a menu or plate it's all I can think.

My lunch was nothing interesting, rigatoni alfredo chicken broccoli in a bowl, not bad but I added red pepper flake to give it another level (though I should have let that pepper sit longer to get its flavor oils spread out more, and I need to buy a better quality of red pepper flake, the cheap stuff ain't doing it for me anymore). Beverage was cranberry lime cocktail from Ocean Spray, good but they could dial back the added sugar a bit.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    It's been a really long time since I had chicken-fried steak, I think since early teens, but I remember it being ruinous of an otherwise adequate piece of beef in both texture and flavor. I would hope that's not the case with yours, especially way out at Knott's, but every time I see it on a menu or plate it's all I can think.
    With enough gravy, NOTHING tastes bad. It's a different taste for meat, and most of the time I've liked it.

Over the last two days at work, we had a free lunch (I know, no such thing...) from a local taco place (pretty tasty, but not too warm) of mini tacos (beef and/or chicken) with rice; then I ordered their meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, green beans, wheat dinner roll the next day. Today, I went back to the cheaper PB&J, banana from home. Water on all days, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    With enough gravy, NOTHING tastes bad. It's a different taste for meat, and most of the time I've liked it.

Over the last two days at work, we had a free lunch (I know, no such thing...) from a local taco place (pretty tasty, but not too warm) of mini tacos (beef and/or chicken) with rice; then I ordered their meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, green beans, wheat dinner roll the next day. Today, I went back to the cheaper PB&J, banana from home. Water on all days, of course.
    Not for me, gravy itself starts to taste bad in abundance. Too salty, too gloppy, whatever the savory version of "cloying" would be (I suppose it'd still be "cloying", but since that usually carries a sweet connotation I wouldn't use it without the "savory" modifier). My roommate used to bury food in sawmill gravy and it grew yucky fast. Disneyland's Plaza Inn will sometimes go hog wild with brown gravy if you ask for it on the potatoes and it gets gross in that much amount.

I don't quite remember what the actual taste was for the meat in country fried steak, now I have to go find one lest this conversation drive me mad.

Yesterday was late lunch/early dinner at Burbank Sizzler. Today I think just something in the nuker, in fact I'll put it in right now: chicken with potatoes in a creamy sauce (not gravy ). Also a couple pieces of pecan praline from Trader Joe's while I wait.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Looks like JT's quest will send him to Oklahoma (or he can just come us the road a ways here to Bakersfield since half of Oklahoma lives here anyway...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_fried_steak
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

My quest sent me to Denny's for lunch today, on the way back from shopping, for a country fried ruining of a piece of beef. Pretty much what I remembered, it's got an unwelcome greasiness, the beef and coating and oil together make an odd fourth flavor that's not particularly pleasant, and I had the gravy put on the side so I could decide - I've since decided the gravy is a necessity if you don't want to gag on this dish, yet I used very little - they gave me probably 6 ounces and I used a few dabs. I put some tabasco on the last few bites but all it did was make the coating soggy and the tabasco tasted entirely separate from the main dish.

Granted, I knew Dennys wasn't going to be the pinnacle of the cuisine but still, it confirmed what I remembered from my youth - that dish needs to be retired.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Granted, I knew Dennys wasn't going to be the pinnacle of the cuisine but still, it confirmed what I remembered from my youth - that dish needs to be retired.
    Hey, that'd be like saying "I saw this sci-fi movie called Zardoz. Sci fi is an AWFUL movie genre." Don't let Denny's deter you from the bliss that is the country (or chicken) fried steak; I'd recommend Norm's or Chili's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Hey, that'd be like saying "I saw this sci-fi movie called Zardoz. Sci fi is an AWFUL movie genre." Don't let Denny's deter you from the bliss that is the country (or chicken) fried steak; I'd recommend Norm's or Chili's.
    Bah, it tasted the same as when I was 13, bad. And while I love Norm's, they aren't the bastion of quality. However, they are close, so perhaps if I'm feeling masochistic one of these days I'll consider undertaking that misery there and put this argument to bed once and for all.