Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do You Ever Worry About Evacuating With Your Pets In An Emergency?

My kitties are totally indoor cats and have never been on their own outside.

I live in California, so the worst-case-scenerio of an earthquake is in the back of my mind. (I doubt a wildfire would penetrate my part of San Diego though I live near where all that trouble occurred).

But I imagine if my place was ripped apart and I became separated from my pets (I just have the 2 cats), I could whistle their favorite tunes and both of them would find me. While I’d hate to put that to the test, I would bet on it if it ever came to that.

It’s comforting to know because in an emergency like that, the only thing I’d care about is evacuating with my cats - they’re my family. But the whole 9 yards really would include the pet carrier, at least one litter box, and their food and a water dish - but who knows what would be reached during such an emergency? That scares me.

My cats are going to turn 9 years old this summer. I’ve had them since they were kittens, all their life. I believe in my lifelong commitment to taking care of them all their lives. So there’s a lot of love and we’re very close.

Since they were kittens and I was watching a Star Trek Voyager episode marathon, I whistled that show’s theme song to my kittens. I branched into other music too, including a lot of tunes from

Star Wars (especially Yoda’s theme music)
    Indiana Jones
    Top Gun

but my cats also like

TwinkleTwinkle Little Star
    Frosy the Snowman
    Old McDonad’s Farm
    Jingle Bells
    Silent Night
    3 Blind Mice

Even the national anthem from Adolf Hitler’s 3rd Reich (no I’m not a Nazi, I can just whistle their marching music that I learned from the Indiana Jones movies).

So when I whistle, my cats come running to me, and jump in my bed or rub themselves all over me, purring and sometimes talking to me.

This has gone on for 9 years. I just thought about posting it because I was reflecting on it a little while ago, as I like to whistle anyway, and I was instantly ambused by two purring kitties no sooner than I started.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

My brother and I share an apartment, and the only emergency I could see happening where we live, upstate ny, is maybe a fire happening? And then we could grab him and get out ok for the most part. I wouldn't say I worry about it too much though.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

That's funny you can whistle to call your cats. Never tried that and it's probably too late to train them.
    Got one cat that comes running when I call her. She even knows her name. Of course she has many names other than her main one "Mims" like Grundel, Grandma Smeagol, Gollum (when she coughs up the hairballs) Gobachev (has a spot on her head) Defective Paw-pads etc.
    A very unpleasant growling at everyone everything half Siamese phsyco-kitty. But she loves me and will come when I call her. So she would be easy to rescue.

My sister's cat "Obleo" or Obleo-one-kenobleo, Keeton, Wood-chip, is so independent and ignores us when he is called. He would end up being a crispy critter I'm afraid.

The Rottwieller "Pele" or Dogula is very obedient and she does whatever we tell her. When are dogs ever a problem?

Yeah we like to make up stupid names for our animals. Don't like giving human names to animals for some reason.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

I used to have nightmares about accidents and disasters and not being able to save Buster black dog. stupid really because he was always the first to be aware of anything not quite right. In an earthquake he would have hiden under my bed. in a fire he would have come and woken me. and he was well trained. he knew the voice of command and when he could chance his paw and when to listen and obey.

sadly he's no longer around so I don't have the worry of harm befalling him. But nor do I have my early warning system anymore.

I don't worry, but my pets should worry because they will be the first thing I eat when the food supply runs out.

No, I don't worry. Saving my three goldfish isn't that high a priority. So Blondie, Tuco, and Angel Eyes will have to fend for themselves. Though I suppose they might enjoy a flood.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

I do worry about that. We have two Basset hounds, a Siberian husky, and two cats, plus a fish tank. Evacuating that menagerie would be a nightmare.

During the weeks following Katrina, when we had no electricity, I was actually mostly worried about the fish, since their filter circulation was removed. I ended up doing partial water changes every other day, and they all lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
    I ended up doing partial water changes every other day, and they all lived.
    That's dedication! Good work.

You were affected by Katrina, losing electricity? You're in Arkansas if I'm not mistaken, or am I? Southern Mississippi?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai View Post
    No, I don't worry. Saving my three goldfish isn't that high a priority. So Blondie, Tuco, and Angel Eyes will have to fend for themselves. Though I suppose they might enjoy a flood.
    They should worry about shooting each other as well, and the first 2 keep putting each other in nooses and then shooting them out at the last minute.

I have always considered this, I have an oversized pet carrier in the living room, its door is always open as well. But the reality is that my cat is somewhat feral and most likely will find an expert place to hide in case of fire or earthquake, and I'll have to decide how long I can spend looking for him before I succumb to the disaster. And of course, if I find him, he'll likely tear my face off while I try to get him into the carrier, cats don't respond well to emergencies.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I don't worry, but my pets should worry because they will be the first thing I eat when the food supply runs out.

poor pets