Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Question The new cardbacks for this series...

Is it just me or do you find these to be a little underwhelming? The colour of the packaging isn't bad, but the cartoony Stormtrooper and the lack of anything really dynamic is sort of a big disappointment. This is coming from someone who doesn't even collect on-card!!

*sigh*
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL08vader.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	17425  
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Yep, not overwhelming and not even whelming. Pretty boring. But then I'd prefer if they'd just find one good packaging design (Vintage or OTC) and stick with it for the entirety of the line.

I don't really care for it, but that cardback will definitely stand out in an overcrowded action figure aisle. They have to do whatever it takes to attract attention to the line in a crowded market. Personally, I collect for the figures and not the packaging. My packaging ends up in a box in the garage attic.

A lot of toy companies even send out little "street signs" that their retail partners hang out from the top shelves over the toy sections to help show customers where their favorite brands are located in the aisle. I spotted Indiana Jones signs for the first time this week.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartner View Post
    Is it just me or do you find these to be a little underwhelming? The colour of the packaging isn't bad, but the cartoony Stormtrooper and the lack of anything really dynamic is sort of a big disappointment. This is coming from someone who doesn't even collect on-card!!

*sigh*
    No, it's not just you. I am mostly an opener too, however lines like VOTC and VSC I kept on the cards and some of the TAC figs as well because I really dig how the entire package plus figure looks together. In a sense, it's got artistic value to me. However, this new design is in no way attractive and since there is very little so far that I'm interested in, everything will be an opener this year 'round with the packaging gladly donated to my recycle bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    Yep, not overwhelming and not even whelming. Pretty boring. But then I'd prefer if they'd just find one good packaging design (Vintage or OTC) and stick with it for the entirety of the line.
    Agreed.
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

It's more underwhelming that they're using that same Vader again. He's on the verge of taking over Cantina Han's record for "most unnecessary re-releases."
    Tommy, close your eyes.

What the, is that part of the card in front? or is it Anakin-Vader's new Clone Wars footlocker? It looks out of place as part of the card.

I'm glad I have gotten over my completist ways a while back (at least with Star Wars) these cards asuck. Yay I get to shave shome moneys.

I can't say I'm not a completest with at least the new kick-*ss Gi Joe 25th cards, those are the exception. They rock!
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

I think the card looks pretty good.

But then I'm sick of dark colored cards. They make the toy aisle look so dreary.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    What the, is that part of the card in front? or is it Anakin-Vader's new Clone Wars footlocker? It looks out of place as part of the card.
    Good question!! What is that thing? Anyone?
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Deoxyribonucleic View Post
    Good question!! What is that thing? Anyone?
    Didn't I read somewhere the figures will be coming with a little pack of spare weapons?
    Big thanks to DarkJedi5, TheRealDubya, obi-dad, morpheus282, Tycho and Kidhuman for great deals/trades.

Yes, that is the weapons locker for the clone gear.

I think these look really bad, very flat and underwhelming. The TAC cars, while I didn't love the general motif, was bright and used the right colors and had big, character-specific art. This is light but not bright, it's just plain, and using blue is a HUGE mistake as blue is a color which fails in marketing (red sells, blue slumps). The blister on this cardback makes the figure seem unimportant and just loosely "out there". And worst of all IMO, this harkens back to some of the worst aspects of the ROTS packaging. Bleh!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.