Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Arrow Our local SW events/gatherings

This is a section for conventions. Most Lucasfilm-sponsored or -licensed gatherings sell stuff, display stuff, simply show off stuff, but there are simple get-togethers elsewhere, elusive, unless we show them off.

Yesterday, my local library (different branch than I usually go to, however) had a family SW Day, with a local costume group there, storytime readings, costume contests for kids ( ), trivia (I didn't know one for sure and another was a subtle one), coloring, R2-D2 cut-out masks, etc. Fun times. See the pic below for the Emperor's reading of Green Eggs and Ham. He read it unlike Dr. Seuss; too aggressive.

Anyhow, there's obviously more in the country, in the world, that are just like this. And maybe, if posted early enough, some can attend them, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SWLibraryA.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	17452  
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Nothing cool like that where I live, so sadly I cannot contribute. The only thing I hear of in passing are "geek parties" held by the 501st.Since I'm not a member, I think I am banned by the other geeks
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Looks like members of the 501st legion are present! I did a library event in costume!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

I don't know if it's specfically 501st, but the Inland Empire Fan Force was there.

And speaking of such, tomorrow they will have their Unofficial SW Day at Disneyland, to protest the lack of SW Weekends there. I will attend as an unofficial member of the IEFF (I bought the t-shirt and will try to make the 2pm by-the-castle photo, but I have yet to sign up or join in any other reindeer games of theirs) and try to find some of those cool-looking Disney/SW character figures or Potato Head ones at the Star Trader shop.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by ol' naive Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    And speaking of such, tomorrow they will have their Unofficial SW Day at Disneyland, to protest the lack of SW Weekends there. I will attend as an unofficial member of the IEFF (I bought the t-shirt and will try to make the 2pm by-the-castle photo, but I have yet to sign up or join in any other reindeer games of theirs) and try to find some of those cool-looking Disney/SW character figures or Potato Head ones at the Star Trader shop.
    This was more than just one local group's gathering. There were groups from all over CA. I made a wonderful first impression by spilling guacamole (which I don't even like; it was just included with the meal) all over myself at lunch. No photos of the group picture (yet?), but there are some shots from around the park.

The Jedi leader at the padawan academy did a flip, but my photo keeps him upside down FOREVER!

Figure out what my Darth Vader watch is trying to say (hee hee).

At the Indiana Jones show, he duels a nefarious villainess (on top of a bald rock?).

I did pig out on figures (sort of... at least, based on my limited buying recently) and decided on the "Yam Solo" Mr. PH. Couple of cool pins. Nice, but tiring, day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JediHandstand.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	17641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IndyVillain.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	17642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watch4Rocks.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	17643  

I finally found a picture of that Unofficial SW Day (took a while for it to get posted, and for me to remember to check again )...

http://www.starwarsdisneyland.com/PHOTO%202008.jpg

This year's USW Day is Sat. June 27th. I may be back!

This year, there were free tickets available for the library's SW Day... which were gone within a day. I was waiting to hear from a friend if he and his family wanted to go, so I delayed in checking on them. But, volunteering has its priveledges. I was in the area of the college professor talking about mythology (read: Joseph Campbell ) and heroes in the SW saga (mainly the OT, mainly ANH). Not much crowd control required there. I have no pics, because the lighting indoors wasn't great, and outdoors, it got dark (duh... ) and shadowy.

I missed hearing the panel with the director of Fanboys, as well as the different age costume contests. The IEFF was there once more, with their SW cars and costumes, plus some videos and pictures. Story time (divided into Rebel and Imperial), more character masks, trivia, SW artists (one guy has doen a few SW Galaxy cards and young adult book covers).

It was better organized this year, but it was later in the day (last year was Sat. morning, this was Fri. evening). Overall? Awesome!

Wow, that sounds really cool! Sounds like your library had more going on than most non-official SW conventions.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Make a list!

How many of you have attended at least 10 SW-related gatherings? 'Cause if you have, then a Top Ten List is your prize!

BEL-CAM JOS' TOP TEN STAR WARS GATHERINGS ATTENDED:
    10.Star Wars costume display at FIDM... Los Angeles, CA
    9. SW Day at library (see above)... Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    8. Unofficial SW Days at Disneyland... Anaheim, CA
    7. LA ScienCenter SW and technology exhibit... Los Angeles, CA
    6. Yerba Buena Gardens SW display... San Francisco, CA
    5. Comic Con SW Day... San Diego, CA
    4. John Williams at Hollywood Bowl... Los Angeles, CA
    3. Celebration IV... Los Angeles, CA
    2. Waiting in line for midnight showings/opening days of ROJ/ANHSE/TPM/AOTC/ROTS... various locations around southern CA
    1. Magic of Myth Smithsonian Exhibit... Washington, D.C.

I think that the upcoming SW in Concert this week should make the list.

I've been lucky enough to see the Magic of Myth and Jim Henson exhibits at the Smithsonian. Both were incredibly cool, but to be that close to items that are forever etched into my memory and be separated by a thin sheet of plexiglass... Excellent experiences both times and well worth the 8+ hour drive. I think I burned 15 rolls of film at the Star Wars exhibit between two trips and I wish I could have taken 30 more.

There's a local SciFi type convention in my area that happens every summer, and they're doing another in a couple of weeks in the next county. The guest list isn't as cool as back in June (Dave Prowse, Ray Park,...), but it should still be a blast. Check it out here - http://www.adventurecon.com/