Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Happening

The Happening

I've not seen this movie. I can't even say that I'm looking forward to it. I will definitely see it, but on TV. Shyamalan's been on a downhill slope since Signs, and this looks to continue that downward trend, but I still hold some (likely vain) hope that the genius who made The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable is still somewhere in his head, and will eventually return.

I can't help but wonder what the hell is going on in the previews, though. It looks like people suddenly start doing really stupid things, like lying down in front of tractors and walking off buildings. It doesn't look at all interesting or believable. (And it definitely doesn't appear to be the film that will break his trend of worsening movies, especially since the big selling point seems to be that it's rated R.)

Is that what's really going on, though? Can someone who knows more about this (or is actually going to see it) let me know. I'm not worried about spoilers; Shyamalan is so dependent on silly twists and has telegraphed them way too early on ever since Signs that I'm not concerned, as I'd know the ending about ten minutes into the movie, anyway.

One day... one day M Knight Shyamalan will make great movies again, and Mark Wahlberg will star in great movies again. (I can always dream, right?)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I don't think anything is "causing" people to behave like that, from what I have read. It seems like they're killing themselves to avoid dying from some other way, which is, I assume, whatever is "happening."

The trailers with the people talking about the bees makes me wish this movie would have been called "Deadly, Deadly Bees." Then I would have been first in line. Unless I hear Zooey Deschanel gets butt-*** naked in it, then I'll pass.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I've not seen this movie. I can't even say that I'm looking forward to it. I will definitely see it, but on TV. Shyamalan's been on a downhill slope since Signs, and this looks to continue that downward trend, but I still hold some (likely vain) hope that the genius who made The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable is still somewhere in his head, and will eventually return.
    I was thinking people didn't think much of Unbreakable. I recall when that ended, some guy in the theater said kind of loud, "That sucked." I enjoyed it though. Other than those two movies, the only other one I saw was Lady in the Water, which I thought was all right. This movie looks like I might be interested, but I probably won't go.

Saw it today with Hulk.

M. Night Shamalamadingdong should have stuck with PG-13 movies with twists.

Cause... well, this was his worst film ever. And I happened to like all the others.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

From what JBF said the twist is "killer plants" and "Mother Nature getting revenge for man's pollution of Earth." Basically all the people are acting stupid/killing themselves because they are under the influence of noxious spores/gas they breathed in. This gas/spore combo is revealed to come from plants, presumably mutations resulting from pollution. That sound about right Beast?
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    From what JBF said the twist is "killer plants" and "Mother Nature getting revenge for man's pollution of Earth." Basically all the people are acting stupid/killing themselves because they are under the influence of noxious spores/gas they breathed in. This gas/spore combo is revealed to come from plants, presumably mutations resulting from pollution. That sound about right Beast?
    Yep... and it's not really even a twist. It's right there in the narrative early on.

What's even worse is that M. Night tried to balance the horror with really painfully unfunny humor.

Like the crazy old lady who lives all alone with no electricity, radio, or phone. Who's a complete freakin' loon. Slapping a kid who reached for a cookie like she cursed like a sailor, and who keeps a lifesize doll in her bed.

It's yeah... umm, stupid covers it.

I liked it, had fun watching it. Better than The Village, Signs, and (presumably) Lady in the Water.

Chux how can you call him a genius for Unbreakable and 6th Sense but rip on the twists in those other ones? They are all equally silly, IMO. I do like his movies though, for the most part.

It had some creepy death scenes and a few good actors in it. As for the plot, sure it's silly but I'm tired of all these comic book movies and sequels and remakes and goofy cartoons so it was better than alot of stuff this summer.

Indy 4 = Fun but rehashed
    Iron Man = Fun but another in a long line of superhero movies
    Dark Knight = see above, plus if it wasn't for Heath Ledger my interest would be low
    Hulk = reboot of a 5 year old crapfest
    Wall*E = yet ANOTHER goofy Pixar flick
    Caspian = I've seen enough of the Lord of the Rings movies, don't need anymore
    Clone Wars = looks fun, but an old franchise
    The Happening = goofy when looking back but it's a fun ride and not something I see advertised every summer like the stuff above.

What else looks good this summer? Not much I can think of. Pineapple Express might be decent but those guys are getting stale, too.

I'm gonna have to go see that new Vin Diesel Babylon movie, I guess.

Apperantly a lot of plot points in the film that don't pay off is due to Fox making M. Night drop some subplots that were planned and important to the story. The plants were responding to human anger/agression. That was what was setting them off. That's why they kill the crazy old lady who's all by herself. There was also the Mood Ring subplot that factored into the storyline, which is why the ring was so important in the film.

That was messed up what happened to the 2 teenage kids but I guess they had to move the story along ! Also what's up with that old man he liked hot dogs a little to much ?

I wasn't really ripping on him for having twists, but when you've done it in both your movies, the audience suspects it in the third. When it's in the third, they are looking for it in every movie after that, paying more attention to clues than the story itself. When it's a surprise, it's not bad; when it's a known habit of the director, it's a hindrance.
    Tommy, close your eyes.