Hybrid View

Thumbs up Less-appreciated holidays (USA and abroad)

Today is Flag Day here in the ol' U.S. of A. It gets some coverage on the news, and sadly fewer and fewer people are displaying their flags, at least around my area (which is fairly patriotic). What other holidays don't get the treatment they deserve? And what others are out there (especially internationally, where some of us don't even know about them) we are clueless about, or how they started?

I laugh about Arbor Day (from some old radio commercial where someone was saying they would go on a diet or lose wait on "Arbor Day, definitely Arbor Day" ) at times, but trees can help all of us out (shade, apples, CO2 levels, etc.).

Others?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

In Boy Scouts, I was a color guard several times in big events, we learned about honoring the flag and folding it properly, and even we didn't really give much thought to Flag Day. It's celebrating the adoption of the US flag, not that big a deal to me, it's what the flag stands for that matters more. The idea of celebrating the adoption of a symbol rings hollow to me, I'd rather folks display their flags whenever they feel patriotic rather than twice a year because the calendar says so.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I'd rather folks display their flags whenever they feel patriotic rather than twice a year because the calendar says so.
    This can also kind of be applied to most other holidays as well, if you think about it (not the flag aspect, just celebrating in general).
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I laugh about Arbor Day (from some old radio commercial where someone was saying they would go on a diet or lose wait on "Arbor Day, definitely Arbor Day" ) at times, but trees can help all of us out (shade, apples, CO2 levels, etc.).
    Arbor day is actually more important than most people think. Did you know, for instance that grown "adult" trees are actually oxygen neutral. This means that they produce as much as they use, as opposed to young tress that actually produce more oxygen than they use.

This is why it's important to plant trees.

It is also why I support deforestation so long as each tree is replaced by a young sapling. It's much better for the environment. Also older trees tend to die and leave kindling which can lead to uncontrolled burning of forests if/when a fire breaks out.

As for lesser appreciated holidays, I believe the world should celebrate my birthday May 10th! This should be a global holiday in which every citizen of the earth should send me one dollar...just for being me!
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    This is why it's important to plant trees.

As for lesser appreciated holidays, I believe the world should celebrate my birthday May 10th! This should be a global holiday in which every citizen of the earth should send me one dollar...just for being me!
    I've actually been doing that for the last 26 years, sk. Your address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington, D.C., right?

As for trees and flags, I try to consider their importance, regardless of the calendar, but joining in with others on certain days is the value of such holidays, I believe. I had US flags in my car more 6 years and 8 months ago (do the math to see what I mean) and I also know how to fold it from Boy Scouts. There've been at least three trees on my property for the last 20+ years for all those great reaons listed.

As Kool and the Gang sang, "cel-e-brate good times, come on! "
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Your address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington, D.C., right?
    Not yet.

There've been at least three trees on my property for the last 20+ years for all those great reaons listed.
    I don't own property right now, but I helped my folks plan a young tree at their place a few years ago. I also worked for a tree company and landscaping business while I was in high school. We planted a lot of trees.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    This can also kind of be applied to most other holidays as well, if you think about it (not the flag aspect, just celebrating in general).
    I suppose, but celebrating the adoption of a symbol seems too removed, unlike Thanksgiving or 4th of July or Christmas where an actual event is being celebrated.

BTW, to this day, it still disgusts me to see people put those cheap little American flags on their cars and let them get all tattered and faded, that's not patriotism being exercised, it's consumerism, and while we may argue that America and consumerism go hand in hand, it doesn't excuse the disrespect to the flag.

I feel that way about $2 flags made in other countries bought at the local mini-mart and yet even still I don't give a crap about flag day.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Patriots Day (the start of the Rev War) doesn't get much pub on April 19th although its celebrated on the 3rd Monday in April. (its also the day the Boston Marathon is run).
    Dude, never even HEARD of that one!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Not to send this into the RP by leaning the thread too much towards the political, but I do update the condition of my car flags in my back window, and save the old ones up to give to the local VFW to properly dispose of them.

I know the dates/seasons of the major holidays (Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Independence Day [figure that one out ], Valentine's, St. Patrick's, New Year's, Cinco de Mayo, Presidents', MLK Jr., etc.) and most of the "less-appreciated" ones (Veterans' Day [11/11... used to be Armistice Day], Memorial, Groundhog, Earth, etc.), while forgetting when others are scheduled (Boxing Day, Arbor, Patriot, Cesar Chavez, Guy Fawlkes [sp?], Bastille, etc.). That was simply my idea for starting the thread, along with learning of some int'l ones.

How can you forget Guy Fawkes Day?

"Remember, remember...."
    Tommy, close your eyes.