Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    12 February... Pancake Day!!!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Patriots Day (the start of the Rev War) doesn't get much pub on April 19th although its celebrated on the 3rd Monday in April. (its also the day the Boston Marathon is run).

I can hear John Denver right now "Plaaant a treeee... plaaant a treeee"
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    This can also kind of be applied to most other holidays as well, if you think about it (not the flag aspect, just celebrating in general).
    I suppose, but celebrating the adoption of a symbol seems too removed, unlike Thanksgiving or 4th of July or Christmas where an actual event is being celebrated.

BTW, to this day, it still disgusts me to see people put those cheap little American flags on their cars and let them get all tattered and faded, that's not patriotism being exercised, it's consumerism, and while we may argue that America and consumerism go hand in hand, it doesn't excuse the disrespect to the flag.

I feel that way about $2 flags made in other countries bought at the local mini-mart and yet even still I don't give a crap about flag day.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Patriots Day (the start of the Rev War) doesn't get much pub on April 19th although its celebrated on the 3rd Monday in April. (its also the day the Boston Marathon is run).
    Dude, never even HEARD of that one!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Not to send this into the RP by leaning the thread too much towards the political, but I do update the condition of my car flags in my back window, and save the old ones up to give to the local VFW to properly dispose of them.

I know the dates/seasons of the major holidays (Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Independence Day [figure that one out ], Valentine's, St. Patrick's, New Year's, Cinco de Mayo, Presidents', MLK Jr., etc.) and most of the "less-appreciated" ones (Veterans' Day [11/11... used to be Armistice Day], Memorial, Groundhog, Earth, etc.), while forgetting when others are scheduled (Boxing Day, Arbor, Patriot, Cesar Chavez, Guy Fawlkes [sp?], Bastille, etc.). That was simply my idea for starting the thread, along with learning of some int'l ones.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

How can you forget Guy Fawkes Day?

"Remember, remember...."
    Tommy, close your eyes.

No holidays when you have to work all of them...
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthQuack View Post
    No holidays when you have to work all of them...
    Yeah, but *cha-ching* I sure love the premium pay I get for working them!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Ease up on the P&R, this thread may get shut down, better to start a new thread in the pit.

February 2nd - Duck-Billed Platypus Day! All hail the platypi!

May 25th - Towel Day! This holiday should be celebrated by watching "South Park" re-runs in which Towelie is the main character or he plays a key role in the story line.
    May the force be with you.

Summer Solstice
    My sister who will be going to a birthday on Saturday says they will also be celebtrating Summer Solstice. Mentioned something about a drum circle.
    Don't know much about Pagan holidays, but it sounds like a lot of fun.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"