Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vintage 12 backs signed by Actor

Hey, just wanted to ask what people thought. I have a few Kenner vintage 12 backs such as Luke and Leia. (I also have a SW Boba Fett carded and a ROTJ Vader) None of these cards are mint. They look nice from a distance, . Actually, Luke is in the best shape w/ slight bubble damage, but the card only has some minor 'spider webs'. Anyway, if given the opprotunity to get these signed by the actors(Hamill, Fisher, etc..), do you think it would add to their value?(I also have a vintage ESB poster I thought about having signed as well.) Basically what I'm asking is, do you think it is better to leave the cards as they are or have them signed? Let me know your opinions. Thanks.

It all depends on your preference. Some collectors like autographs others think that is brings down the value. I personally am not a fan, but they are your figures. Do what makes you happiest.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

I just wanted to know what others thought. I haven't decided yet. I like the idea, but at the same time it seems like it might take away from the carded figures.

If you're trying to raise their value, I'd say no. If you have extras and these would be something different, I'd go for it. Since getting the autographs (or at least being able to verify them) isn't guaranteed, it'll take some effort. Maybe Yoda said it best, "no more will I teach you today." No, no, I mean "do, or do not; there is no try."
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Like I said, it's not like they are mint. So it's not like I'm ruining them, . If I do get the signatures, they would be obtained in person. Maybe signatures would be better on the poster or maybe a lightsaber. I do have Ray Parks on a Hasbro lightsaber. I made my own Luke from ANH from an actual Graflex 3 cell, but it would be hard to get his signature. I have a Vader ANH saber from Icons, but I don't think Prowse's signature would add much since his is more common and easier to obtain. That is another reason to consider Hamill and Fisher's signatures, they are much harder to get than the others.

If you are just doing it for yourself, then go for it. However, like mentioned by everyone else, autographs often reduce the collectible value unless you can provide some kind of certificate of authenticity or other proof that the autographs aren't forgeries.

I haven't seen many vintage figures signed myself. I guess if people get their figures signed, then they keep them for themselves(like I would).If I kept(for my kids), until I died it would be like 60 years old or so with the actor's autograph(who would be dead by then also). Then it seemslike it might be worth more. Maybe not now, but later. The only proof you can really get, is if you have a photo made at the time I guess.

Although they aren't vintage figures, I've had a few of my cards signed by actors (Kenny Baker and María de Aragón [Greedo]) because I had the opportunity and wanted to. I'm really glad that I did. Granted these are POTF2 cards and are as common as grains of sand, for me it enhances the pieces for me personally, and that's all that matters.

The big question is because these are 12 Backs: what value do they hold for you? Are you looking for monetary value or intrinsic value?
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I think it will increase the current value if your toys can get the Actor's signature. That was exclusive
    [URL="http://www.toyscompass.com"][I][B]Never too old to learn[/B][/I][/URL]

Well, it looks like the few who replied would not do it. That is fine, I still haven't decided. Spending $200 on Mark Hamill's signature on a figure seems kind of crazy. Of course, it will cost that much on whatever he signs. What do you think about a signed lightsaber? If Mark Hamill signed and Icons or MR lightsaber, what would you think. I saw a Icons Vader lightsaber signed by David Prowse on Ebay for $1200. It seems like that might be a little high for his autograph, maybe Hamill's, but even that seems extreme.