Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Lucas' new movie: Red Tails

Tuskegee Airmen to be subject of George Lucas film

I'm not going to quote the whole article, as it's rather long.

However, given his free and loose regard to history (particularly in pretending everything thirty years ago happened totally different from the way every other source records it as happening), do we really need an historical film by Lucas?

Is this his way of trying to convince people he's still a serious filmmaker? I'm not trying to impose a judgment call on the prequels here, but he has lost a lot of clout since TPM came out.

More importantly, when does Ahmed Best get to pick which of the Tuskegee Airmen he gets to play? And will Hasbro hold a midnight sale for the figures?

Sorry. To me, this is akin to Stan Lee writing an academic treatise on the economy of Botswana in the 1970s.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

This sounds like a re-hash of The Tuskegee Airmen to me. From the link, it seems to me that Lucas really won't have much more to offer over the 1995 movie. I give it 2 *yawns* for originality and effort on G.Lu's part.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    Is this his way of trying to convince people he's still a serious filmmaker?
    No, I think it's just a project he's been wanting to do for a long time. Or at least they've been talking about it for a few years, so I'm frankly not sure why it's in the news.

He was supposed to do this film a long time ago, but I guess he put it on the back burner. He'd have to put a new twist on the story to top Tuskeegee Airmen.
    There are still plenty of P-51 Mustangs around though. Sure like to see those Warbirds in action any chance I get.
    With the improvements in CGI we might get some nice action out of the German Messerschmitts and Focke Wulfs. Maybe even see a German Jet Me-262, which one of the Airmen reportedly shot down.

If he took the actual testimony from some of these guys and made the action scenes really intense, we might see some killer flying action.
    He did after all base a lot of the fighter action in A New Hope on the old documentary films of WWII, so we know he's into it.

He wouldn't even have to base it on the Tuskeegee Airmen, because there are a lot of good storys from that time, but I guess it is a good premise for a film, or so he thinks.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

but he has lost a lot of clout since TPM came out.
    You mean because he has only produced 3 top 25 grossing films since (including TPM). Give me a break, he may have lost a lot of support for the Star Wars story line from old time fans, but the franchise is still going strong with nearly 2.5 billion dollars grossed for 3 films. That's clout, no matter how you cut it.

But I do agree, this film does not garner much enthusiasm from me, and I am a big far of old time war films, especially the fighter planes.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    There are still plenty of P-51 Mustangs around though.
    I think most of the P-51's they flew were -51C's which aren't that common. It'll very interesting to see how accurate he is with his aircraft choice. They flew a good percentage of their flights in non-P-51 aircraft (P-39, P-40, P-47).

Maybe even see a German Jet Me-262, which one of the Airmen reportedly shot down.
    There is at least 1 of these flying already with another 1 or 2 being restored by the same group. It would be awesome to see a real Me-262 in a movie. There is also a company that sells brand new FW-190's which also would be nice to see a real one used rather than CGI.

Doing some quick online reading it seems that the frequently quoted stat that they never lost a bomber under their protection has been overturned. I guess there are period quotes/statements from Tuskegee pilots written at the time where they refer to bombers being shot out of their formation. I don't think it takes away from what they accomplished in a segregated military/society it just needs to be corrected.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I meant by "clout" that, at one point, everyone thought his movies were great. The original trilogy and the Indy films are pretty universally acclaimed. The prequels made a killing based solely on the name. Same for Indy IV. It will be his next movie that really shows what people think of him.

On the bright side, he hasn't fallen from grace nearly as quickly or as thoroughly as Roberto Benigni seemed to from Life Is Beautiful to Pinnochio.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port View Post
    I think most of the P-51's they flew were -51C's which aren't that common. It'll very interesting to see how accurate he is with his aircraft choice. They flew a good percentage of their flights in non-P-51 aircraft (P-39, P-40, P-47).

There is at least 1 of these flying already with another 1 or 2 being restored by the same group. It would be awesome to see a real Me-262 in a movie. There is also a company that sells brand new FW-190's which also would be nice to see a real one used rather than CGI.

Doing some quick online reading it seems that the frequently quoted stat that they never lost a bomber under their protection has been overturned. I guess there are period quotes/statements from Tuskegee pilots written at the time where they refer to bombers being shot out of their formation. I don't think it takes away from what they accomplished in a segregated military/society it just needs to be corrected.
    I knew they were flying the P-47 Thunderbolts before the Mustangs. It never occured to me they were flying the P-40 Warhawk and the P-39 Aircobra, which means they were in the mediteranean theatre, probably relegated to ground support, as those slow obsolete aircraft mostly did ground attack etc.

There are many errors when the toy companies do the Mustang, like when BBI came out with Bud Anderson's "Old Crow" in a "D" camo style when it's supposed to be a "C" with the Spitfire-like canopy. I've never seen one of those in real life, and don't know if any are flying. The first Mustang in the war with the Rolls-Royce engine. Featured accurately at least in "Dogfights" on the History channel.

Most movies even though they use similar aircraft or different models are innacurate, but I guess they get as close as they can. Like "Tora Tora Tora" (P-40-E's instead of B's altered AT-6's made to look like Kates, Vals, and Zeros) "Pearl Harbor" (P-40N's) Battle of Britain (Spitfire Mk. II or III's ?instead of I's not to mention the Spanish Hispano Suiza Messerschmitts, and Hienkle 111 bombers)
    "Midway" was totally innacurate, there were no Hellcats, or Avengers (on the carriers at least) but rather obsolete Wildcats, Dauntlesses, and the ill fated guppy-looking Devastators.
    Then again the general public doesn't know the difference, but I noticed these things since I was very young.

The real aircraft don't exist much anymore and I don't think even Lucas could make a Mustang D into a C up close with CGI. They would have to actually modify one to look that way. Kinda hard to do to a single plane that's worth millions, let alone a squadron. So they'll probably use the D model.

If they could at least use those FW-190's That would be the only way to go as far as the main opponent German aircraft. I was unaware they made replicas.
    I saw that replica ME-262 on TV a while back awesome!
    I also saw recently on the web a guy trying to land either a replica? or the real thing ME-109G Gustav at an airshow and one of the landing gears collapsed, but it was a walk-away and looked repairable whew!
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    The prequels made a killing based solely on the name. Same for Indy IV.
    That might have been true if the films were only popular for a weekend or so, then bad word of mouth would have defeated them. But people who actually enjoyed these movies -- and, gasp! I'm one of them, and there are plenty others -- saw them repeatedly, and likely encouraged others to see them. Other people must have at least heard some good things if they went to see them in the first place. Also, AOTC and ROTS still did well after TPM might have "ruined" the franchise for many. Not quite as well, but still really well.

I've never seen one of those in real life, and don't know if any are flying.
    There are a few, but not as many as the D model. The Collins Foundation has a very rare 2-seater. Kermit Weeks has a P-51C painted in the Tuskegee Red Tail in his collection (Fantasy of Flight). CAF has one too.

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/aircraftpages/p51c.htm
    http://www.collingsfoundation.org/ma_p51mustang.htm
    http://www.commemorativeairforce.org...ort.cgi?N61429

The first Mustang in the war with the Rolls-Royce engine. Featured accurately at least in "Dogfights" on the History channel.

Most movies even though they use similar aircraft or different models are inaccurate, but I guess they get as close as they can.
    Ugh, don't get me started on Pearl Harbor. At least movies like "Tora Tora Tora" tried to replicate the aircraft but that M. Bay piece of junk didn't even get close. Basically no piece of equipment in that movie (on land, in air or on the sea was right). I guess if you're OK with fake people used in historic events using incorrect aircraft and ships is OK too.

As much as I like to see the correct aircraft used there are limitations I agree. There aren't any Japanese torpedo aircraft available so it can't be expected to be used. I guess with the use of CGI now that this excuse isn't really valid anymore.

It's true that the majority of the general public won't know the difference but I don't see that as an excuse to do things wrong. The reason most folks don't know the difference is they aren't exposed to aircraft, especially older ones. Ask Joe on the street to name 5 aircraft and 5 cars, he'll know the cars. So if M. Bay decided to use a '67 Mustang in Pearl Harbor folks would notice. Unfortunately he doesn't think as highly of using the correct aircraft in a movie where the military hardware is central to the events unfolding.

I think Ron Howard did an amazing job with all the details trying to create an honest representation of NASA during the Apollo missions and even then he still goofed here and there. But most folks, even the nitpicky folks like me, were willing to over look those because so much of the movie was spot on.

The real aircraft don't exist much anymore and I don't think even Lucas could make a Mustang D into a C up close with CGI. They would have to actually modify one to look that way. Kinda hard to do to a single plane that's worth millions, let alone a squadron. So they'll probably use the D model.
    I would think a mockup of a cockpit with a blue screen for the close ups and CGI for the distant shots would be ideal. It sure would be a nice treat to see a WW2 movie filled with era/squadron/theater appropriate aircraft.

I was unaware they made replicas.
    On my wishlist....

http://www.flugwerk.de/

I saw that replica ME-262 on TV a while back awesome!
    I also saw recently on the web a guy trying to land either a replica? or the real thing ME-109G Gustav at an airshow and one of the landing gears collapsed, but it was a walk-away and looked repairable whew!
    Unfortunately that was a real Bf-109G that had the landing gear failure. I would really like to see a real Bf-109 used and not a Hispano version. They don't have the same sleak lines with those bulging engine cowls.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.