Target no longer honoring coupons?

Sorry if this has been brought up already. I've been away and haven't checked thoroughly.

At a Target in Vegas this morning, I saw a sign at the register. It said, "Due to fraudulent tampering and transferring, we are unable to any longer honor the following coupons." And then a pic of two online coupons, one of which was the "$5 off a $25 toy purchase" coupon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's nothing on the coupon that says it can't be transferred, copied, or used more than once by a customer, right?

Sounds to me like word got out, Target was getting a lot of these, and they're just exercising their right to crappy customer service. (Reneging on an offer simply because it's popular is their right, but it can't be described as anything else.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

That's what you get for being away http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/sho...target+coupons
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    At a Target in Vegas this morning, I saw a sign at the register. It said, "Due to fraudulent tampering and transferring, we are unable to any longer honor the following coupons." And then a pic of two online coupons, one of which was the "$5 off a $25 toy purchase" coupon.
    The second coupon was a photoshopped version of the first one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's nothing on the coupon that says it can't be transferred, copied, or used more than once by a customer, right?
    In fact, you're wrong. It says implicitly that it is void if "transferred" or "copied", and it absolutely was both.

Sounds to me like word got out, Target was getting a lot of these, and they're just exercising their right to crappy customer service. (Reneging on an offer simply because it's popular is their right, but it can't be described as anything else.)
    Well, that's not the case at all, they were putting up with the initial violations of people just sending 'em out everywhere, but once they were altered in an attempt to use them on non-toy purchases, Target put their foot down.

I've attached a shot of the notice in question, and a close-up of the coupon (which I voided out so we don't get in trouble). You can see the alteration at issue in the notice, it's painfully lame, they didn't even capitalize the "p" after cutting off "Toy". Way to go, morons!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	target notice.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	17721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	target notice2.gif 
Views:	39 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	17722  
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yep. I hate this kind of stuff. We had people who would do that kind of thing to new cashiers when I worked in a grocery store several years ago. They'd try to find a cashier who was new and run . . . probably HUNDEREDS of altered coupons past them for around 200 bucks worth of groceries (much more 5 years ago than it was today). They'd walk away paying as little as 50 cents. Finaly got that lady arrested when she wound up getting a recipt that said our store owed her 25 cents.

This kind of thing makes me hate coupons with a passion.

The thing that confused me about this coupon to begin with was that it said void if copied. If you are printing it from online, how would they know the difference between your original and any copy you make? You wouldn't even need to make copies. You could just print as many as you want from the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    The thing that confused me about this coupon to begin with was that it said void if copied. If you are printing it from online, how would they know the difference between your original and any copy you make? You wouldn't even need to make copies. You could just print as many as you want from the computer.
    Precisely...

Idiot move on Target's part. They shouldn't feel TOO bad about it's use as it DID bring them more business. (Okay, the photoshopped coupons were bad) But I know there wouldn't have been so many toys bought from them had we only been able to use the coupon once.

Perhaps they could have put an individual code on each coupon that would have denied the use of the same coupon again. Though that would have prolly required more money and effort that they weren't willing to commit to.
    Move along, move along

This isn't the first time they had trouble with coupons. On the first day of ROTS toys, they had a coupon they mailed out where you were to get $1 each figure you bought. After I got home I realized they only took it off of the Lava Vader. When I went back to point it out, they said I was wrong, and they had already sent the coupons off so they couldn't look at one to check. I was able to get most of it back anyway because of a price reduction. I could have saved more if they had allowed us to buy more than just 3 figures.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    This isn't the first time they had trouble with coupons. On the first day of ROTS toys, they had a coupon they mailed out where you were to get $1 each figure you bought. After I got home I realized they only took it off of the Lava Vader. When I went back to point it out, they said I was wrong, and they had already sent the coupons off so they couldn't look at one to check. I was able to get most of it back anyway because of a price reduction. I could have saved more if they had allowed us to buy more than just 3 figures.
    Last edited by Mvader91; 07-11-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Left out used in title