Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21
    I don't really dig the doors that much in the pics I've seen, and I hate the paint - the body and head are like 2 different concepts. I agree withcha about the dome being too dark, but also the way the body is weathered makes it seem "lesser than". I think if nothing else, they should have painted the insides of the exposed cavities a dark color instead of leaving them bald white.

    I've seen another review out there which compared R2 to realistic R2s and I was surprised he was smaller, is that an issue for you? Also, another question, how does the periscope go up and down? That peri looks great.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I don't really dig the doors that much in the pics I've seen, and I hate the paint - the body and head are like 2 different concepts. I agree withcha about the dome being too dark, but also the way the body is weathered makes it seem "lesser than". I think if nothing else, they should have painted the insides of the exposed cavities a dark color instead of leaving them bald white.

    I've seen another review out there which compared R2 to realistic R2s and I was surprised he was smaller, is that an issue for you? Also, another question, how does the periscope go up and down? That peri looks great.
    I don't quite understand what you mean by the body and dome being two different concepts. Could you elaborate?

    As for the weathering, it's not perfect, but it's much better than other figures.

    And to your question about the scale, I honestly didn't notice any scale issues. That doesn't mean there aren't any. I just didn't notice them at the time.

    And finally, the periscope: there's a small groove in the dome in which you can slip your fingernail. Doesn't take much to pull it up from the dome.
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

    Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith Lord 0498 View Post
    I don't quite understand what you mean by the body and dome being two different concepts. Could you elaborate?
    The dome has a semi-realistic finish which actually helps fit it with this CGI animated universe, but it's also got an animated yet detailed sculpt. The body, on the other hand, looks very plain like they were going for a simplistic cartoon-stylized body and then threw a realistic paint wash over that. The detail on the body is a sculpting that deemphasizes what makes it the body, the panels don't stand out well, the legs' shapes too. The body and legs seem unfinished to me.

    As for the weathering, it's not perfect, but it's much better than other figures.
    Speaks poorly of them, then.

    And to your question about the scale, I honestly didn't notice any scale issues. That doesn't mean there aren't any. I just didn't notice them at the time.
    Have you put R2 here next to, for example, R4-G9 body or VOTC?

    And finally, the periscope: there's a small groove in the dome in which you can slip your fingernail. Doesn't take much to pull it up from the dome.
    That's super, way better than the dodgy pop-up one they have in the regular line.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    The dome has a semi-realistic finish which actually helps fit it with this CGI animated universe, but it's also got an animated yet detailed sculpt. The body, on the other hand, looks very plain like they were going for a simplistic cartoon-stylized body and then threw a realistic paint wash over that. The detail on the body is a sculpting that deemphasizes what makes it the body, the panels don't stand out well, the legs' shapes too. The body and legs seem unfinished to me.

    Speaks poorly of them, then.

    Have you put R2 here next to, for example, R4-G9 body or VOTC?

    That's super, way better than the dodgy pop-up one they have in the regular line.
    1) Ah, I get what you're saying now. I just see the figure differently then.

    2) Yeah, it does speak poorly of their past endeavors. Their newer clones have pretty decent weathering, but too many times it looked symmetrical and the "damage" looked too perfect.

    3) I really don't have any other astro droids to compare it against.

    4) Yeah, the periscope works great here.
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

    Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

  5. #25
    Captain Rex review is now up as well:

    http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/Captai...ne%20Wars).htm

    After this, my last one for this first wave will be Obi-Wan Kenobi. Look for that closer to Friday.
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

    Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith Lord 0498 View Post
    1) Ah, I get what you're saying now. I just see the figure differently then.
    I picked up the figure during Comic-Con, and it still bugs me that the body is missing sculpted visual cues, it's like they took a simplified R2 design and simplified it further.

    2) Yeah, it does speak poorly of their past endeavors. Their newer clones have pretty decent weathering, but too many times it looked symmetrical and the "damage" looked too perfect.
    I don't like the R2 weathering all that much, and the ones I've seen are all different, which is ok, but none of them "wow" me. Those clone decos look better, and they land the lines a lot better than this R2 figure does - I got preview Capt Rex yesterday and without the weathering these clones are at a huge loss.

    3) I really don't have any other astro droids to compare it against.
    Gahk! How can you not have a regular R2-D2 or something? Well, I have mine next to the VOTC R2 (actually, the TSC Hoth repaint, which has much better weathering) and it's like R2 has a son. VOTC is 2.5" tall, CW is a quarter-inch shorter, exactly 10% shorter.

    4) Yeah, the periscope works great here.
    Definitely, they need to do this in regular R2 now.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO