Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Is Christian Bale our new Harrison Ford?

Christian Bale will be Bruce Wayne for the foreseeable future, more than likely.

Shortly, or even currently (I don't know) he will be on the set filming as John Connor.

Two legendary franchises: Batman and Terminator. He even has a look to him where I could see him cast as James Bond, as well.

I can't remember too many actors getting two or more huge title roles like that since Harrison Ford: Han Solo (Star Wars) and Indiana Jones.

Musclemen Arnold and Sylvester have niche movies, especially Stallone with Rocky and Rambo, but they are not comparable to such industry giants as Star Wars, Jones, Batman, and Terminator.

So has Christian Bale quietly taken Harrison Ford's mantel?

I'd have nothing against him if he has. Bale's a good actor and I like his movies. American Psycho is a lot of fun for me as well.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Personaly, I think Ford still has a few good movies left in him before he gives up his mantle, but I do see your point.

You're right Tycho, Arnold has NO BUSINESS being mentioned in the same breath as the Terminator franchise.

To me Christian Bale is NO Harrison Ford. He's not going to be James Bond any time soon, especially with the (well deserved) favorable reviews Daniel Craig got last time.

Harrison Ford's fame & association to both of those franchises has everything to do with his association with GLu - talk about a mutually beneficial relationship.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

What I meant was that Arnold isn't associated with 2 (two) or more mainline franchises. For example, he didn't do Predator 2. Of course he made the Terminator movies happen to begin with.

Now I think Total Recall was to have a sequel. I'm not sure if it did. But Arnold didn't do that either - and it's still not a franchise like SW or Terminator (will be for Bale).
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post

Bale's a good actor and I like his movies. American Psycho is a lot of fun for me as well.
    I loved the part in American Psycho where he's describing how he likes Huey Lewis & the News while dancing across the floor all funky in his rain coat fixing to bludgeon someone.

He's already played a good post apocalyptic role in Reign of Fire. Brave but scared.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

I see your point now, Tycho. It always seemed to me back in the 80s and 90s that Arnold's movies were basically sequels of each other - even if the characters were different (eg Commando & Red Dawn to go along with Terminator - it's all Arnold being Arnold). The 2 Conan movies were a bit of a departure, and it would still be nice to see "Old Arnie" cap those off with Conan the King, featuring a much older Barbarian.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    He's already played a good post apocalyptic role in Reign of Fire. Brave but scared.
    That perfectly describes John Connor. He became a warrior out of necessity. For all Sarah's training him, he didn't want to believe Judgement Day was really going to happen. Then when it did, in T3, he took command very reluctantly. "Montana Civil Defense" called for help and asked who was in charge. Seizing his destiny and yeilding to "fate" (a theme in Terminator), John answers to 'who's in charge?' with "I am." That was a great scene.

I know people didn't like the ending of T3, but it had to end that way. I think it was a great movie. No, it wasn't as good as T2, probably the best film of them all. The original Terminator would have been awesome with today's modern special effects, but it stands as a classic and testament to what James Cammeron and Stan Winston can do!

I loved the part in American Psycho where he's describing how he likes Huey Lewis & the News while dancing across the floor all funky in his rain coat fixing to bludgeon someone.
    That's a classic motif for immitation if people get the reference. He also went into Whitney Houston, and I forget which others. He sounds almost like he's making a forums post. Hehe. But I think it's a less-known movie and the reference would escape a lot of people. I did like how Willem DaFoe rehashes the Huey Lewis discussion when he comes to interview "Patrick Bateman" at his law office. Then Bateman even denies liking Huey Lewis and says he "sounds too black." Hehe.

Yeah, Christian Bale's characters have a lot of character. I know he'll lose the spotlight with Batman, because of Heath Ledger's death, but I've been pleased that reviews have not overlooked Michael Kane, Gary Oldman, and Morgan Freeman. Along with Heath Ledger, they put a lot of talent into Batman. It's not a superhero movie romp right off the cookie cutter. They've taken Batman and done something else - something better. I might be seeing it today instead of waiting until tomorrow. Hope so. I can't wait. I know my expectations are high, but everything I heard so far justifies that. Most people complain about movies for whatever reason (Indiana Jones 4 - which kind of deserved the complaints). But Batman isn't harvesting them and people are saying The Dark Night is even better than " 'Begins."

That makes Batman 3 a very tough film to do in order to continue the franchise. But whenever they bring back Liam Neeson as Rhas Guhl and his army of Ninjas for the next round of the war for Gotham, I think it will top any superhero movie ever done, including even the other Batman films.

I don't really care for Bale as Batman, he's not bad, but he just seems kinda...bland.

I would have rather seen him as the new Superman, he's much more suited to the character I think.

In any event, I do not see him as the new Harrison Ford.

Ford MADE Indiana Jones, not the other way around. He also made the character of Han Solo. IMHO

Bale plays parts, he plays them well, but he's still just playing them. Ford has a way of taking parts and making them his own. He's a much different type of actor.

Granted Bale has had some good shots at top movies/franchises, but IMO, it takes more than that to be a Harrison Ford.
    May the force be with you.

Johnny Depp is a better actor. Sorry.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

It's very true that Johnny Depp really ACTS and creates his characters. He's pretty amazing. He has Pirates of the Caribbean, but what else (as a major franchise)?