Wal Mart Exclusive Droid Factory 2 packs

Hey gang, I wound up getting a full 6 pack of these "new" (I'm rolling my eyes here) figures which include the first Build-A-Droid parts. I'm a bit miffed with them on the whole, and here's why:

The "main" draw to this collection for me was Battle Damaged R2 from the first Death Star battle. In my minds eye I can CLEARLY see the blast point where the laser bolt got him - it's even shown prominently on the package in 2 spots. SO WHY THE HECK ISN'T IT PAINTED ON THE FIGURE???? I'm sure this figure is going to be revisited very soon with an improved paint job, which will cause me to have to buy it again. This guy doesn't meet my requirements at all.

There are very few figures out of these 13 that I feel I want to keep for my collection. Right now I'm down to the Hoth Han (I think this is the closest figure we've had so far to the vintage Hoth Han. His hood is up and his coat is the bluish grey colour. Just a great figure overall!), the grey Death Star Droid & the R2 unit from the Plo Koon pack. BD R2 isn't good enough (as per my comments above) and it looks like me kids did the deco on the other R2 units (the ones from the Kit Fisto & Watto packs) with Crayola washable markers. Brutal, brutal, brutal.

The R2/R4 units all look like they've been zapped by the jawas in the SW Lego videogame! Talk about rubbery legs....I've had to straighten mine up a couple of times.

And now a couple of positive comments: the BAF IS Superposeable. He has knees that bend and swivel at the top, hips, waist, shoulders, elbows and a ball jointed head. The downside to this figure is that he's rubbery like the Sandcrawler pack-in droid, NOT shiny & hard like Endor or ROTS 3PO.

The R3PO is much improved. He now has the poseable knees a la Endor Throne 3PO and the face is much better than the older Saga Collection version.

I won't touch on the repack/repaint figures - if you've seen ROTS Vader & Plo Koon and the shirtless CW Kit Fisto (recently re-released under the Saga2 banner) you've seen these before. Plo Koon has a redder jacket on and Kit contains a soft goods cape.

My recommendation is this: PLEASE have a good look at the pictures of these figures before you spend the money and MAKE SURE they're what you want. Had I known what I was getting for the money I would have most certainly chosen not to buy them.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Compare the new Plo Koon to the old one -- it's a world of difference. I really had no idea the old Plo was so orange until I got the new one. The paint has also been vastly improved on Watto and Luke and a little bit on Kit, but it's not really obvious unless you see the figures side-by-side.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Watto may be more movie accurate, but the "real" Plo looks more orange than that new drab olive greeny brown colour. http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3D2%26hl%3Den
    Big thanks to DarkJedi5, TheRealDubya, obi-dad, morpheus282, Tycho and Kidhuman for great deals/trades.

Quote Originally Posted by jjreason View Post
    The "main" draw to this collection for me was Battle Damaged R2 from the first Death Star battle. In my minds eye I can CLEARLY see the blast point where the laser bolt got him - it's even shown prominently on the package in 2 spots. SO WHY THE HECK ISN'T IT PAINTED ON THE FIGURE???? I'm sure this figure is going to be revisited very soon with an improved paint job, which will cause me to have to buy it again. This guy doesn't meet my requirements at all.
    I disagree to a degree. The relevant blast points are painted on, they're just not as prominent, on my figure anyway. I went back and watched the DVD and was impressed with the sculpting on Artoo. His panel doors are blasted open, even the wires on his head are movie accurate. He could do with some more "grease" on his dome though.
    Back to his paint job, if the blast points were 50% darker this would be one of the most perfect onscreen representations of Artoo I've seen. I included some photos. What do others think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fenn_3628.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	17833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fenn_3631.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	17834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fenn_3632.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	17835  
    [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]

I have the light colored blob on his head, but the one on his right chest area isn't quite as clearly marked as yours (mine, it appears, got a bit more silver/grey in the creases than yours, pretty much covering up that white blast mark on the chest). It still needs to have a black finish over the silver to make it prominent like the movie - mine (especially in the chest) looks like they forgot one of the steps in the painting process.

I will concur though, they got the sculpt right.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Man, this whole set looks super weak. I have no problem abandoning it, Hasbro's crazy for putting out so many turkeys just to get an underwhelming protocol droid built, especially when the basic line has protocols in it too.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

[FONT=Courier New]I got the whole set, even though I could live without the majority of the figures, but I really liked all of the astromechs and the 2 protocol droids (neither of which I have), especially the orange and green Astro that came with Kit Fisto.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Speaking of Wal-Mart exclusives, does anyone know the street date for their Gunship? I've seen 2 different dates (August and November) and I don't want to miss it...[/FONT]