Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Clone Wars novelization (spoilers, until film's out)

I saved up some coupons, and it was 20% off, too, so I bought Karen Traviss' hardcover of the upcoming film (I wasn't aware it was based on the film, but I suppose I should have been). Her style's pretty decent, and it's only 256 pages long (explains the cheaper cover price of $20). Since I don't care about spoilers for the film, I'll read it now, but only post details as spoilers until after the August film release.

Anyone else picking this one up? I'm normally a read-the-hardcover-from-the-library-then-wait-to-buy-the-paperback kind of SW EU reader, but it was a good deal. And, my local libraries have been tardy about SW books lately.
    "That's what Sheev said."

To be honest, I had no idea that there was such a novel for "Clone Wars". I thought they were only releasing a children's novel. Either way, I'll probably wait until I see the movie. I'm not dying to know what happens in it. I can wait.
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

i got the email from Borders reminding me that it was coming out on saturday. i go into the store and it's not there and their computer system says that it isn't available and they have no idea when it will be coming out. i'm starting to really hate Borders and may have to start doing my book purchasing at Barnes & Noble. it took me an extra month to get the last Last of the Jedi and that was because i finally broke down and had them special order one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Jax View Post
    i'm starting to really hate Borders and may have to start doing my book purchasing at Barnes & Noble.
    I've found that B&N has better service and selection than B (which gives you more coupons and discounts), but I refuse to use B&N's online service due to past frustrations (long story). There was no display in the front of my local B&N, but there were a couple standing cardboard displays in the back by the children's section. There is a junior novelization (about the size of a Last of the Jedi/Jedi Apprentice/Jedi Quest book), a sticker book, coloring book, activity book, hardcover Visual Dictionary-type (I'm debating getting this one or not), and a thin softcover book (kind of like the old record/cassette readers). I'm disappointed there's no folders, binders, school items (yet? :hinthintwinkwink: ), clothing, etc. but maybe those'll come closer to the movie's release.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    ...but I refuse to use B&N's online service due to past frustrations (long story).
    I wish I would have read this sooner. I ordered a couple of items from B&N online nine days ago (and counting). It seems they can't live up to their promised window of delivery time.

Am I getting close, BCJ?
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    I wish I would have read this sooner. I ordered a couple of items from B&N online nine days ago (and counting). It seems they can't live up to their promised window of delivery time.

Am I getting close, BCJ?
    I'll give you the 11pm news teaser:
    "Your package gets sent to another state, and they say they'll charge you twice to cancel the order, since it's within their window to deliver it to your home? More later in the broadcast."

I finished this novel. If it follows the film script closely, the movie will do well with kids and the parents with their kids, maybe not so much with nitpicker fans. Traviss does a good job of writing for a tweener audience: appeal to the long-time EU readers, but also for teenagers who need a slightly dialed down style (but not writing down to a lower level; not easy to pull off for many authors). Overall, I'd give it an 8.4 on my non-scientific scale. Semi-spoilers below.

SPOILERS

- no Grievous, eh? Interesting that he is only mentioned, but not seen. His Magna Guards are.
    - fair amount of death, usually clone troopers (some with names) and a droid.
    - Palaptine gets to think as Sidious, which doubtfully would be featured in the movie (maybe a look or tone of voice change).
    - Padme appears (perhaps a cameo by Threepio).
    - Dooku's gonna be good here, Ventress is okay, Capt Rex plays a big role.
    - quite a bit of Anakin's reflections about his slave days on Tatooine.
    - a few famous SW lines, as well as some allusions to what happens in later (E3-E6) films.

I forgot to check out the book section when I went to WM Friday night and haven't had a chance to go back.

I do like Traviss's style, at least in the Republic Commando novels.

I got a couple of gift cards to B&N for my birthday so I might use one of them and get the book. Or I might check Target, WM or Sam's and see what the prices are.

Borders is good with the coupons, I have to admit, but not as good as it once was. I haven't signed up for B&N's club

picked up the young adult version as well as the hardcover Traviss version. both are short so should be able to crank them out this weekend.

I thumbed through it today, and the bit about "Snips" was enough to kill the tiny shred of hope I had for Clone Wars.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I thumbed through it today, and the bit about "Snips" was enough to kill the tiny shred of hope I had for Clone Wars.
    So, then you won't like the other* "pet" name? (see * below if if want to know, ignore it if you want to remain information free)

* Skyguy. This bugged me, too.