Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Are the AT-TE's legs that bad?

I've been looking at this toy and considering buying it when I get a chance; but am a little hesitant when I read of problems with the legs supporting the weight of the overall toy.

How bad is it really? Bad enough that I should hold off on buying it in the hopes that a corrected rerelease will show up in a year or two? Or is it something that can be easily overlooked or corrected?

I'm actually tempted to buy this before the Falcon since I've owned 4 Falcon toys over the course of the last 20 years and the AT-TE has the distinction of being all new and a vehicle that I have wanted for about 6 years now.

I experienced the set firsthand at Tycho's during Comic-Con, and those legs were holding it up in most poses, but whenever we'd push the button to activate the rear deck, something would get out of alignment - often, the front end would drop. Also, oftentimes when the vehicle was picked up, at least one of the lower legs was left behind, and sometimes a few poses were not careful enough and the lower legs would abandon ship almost like it had been critically hit. I dunno how this thing would do full of figures either, it was barely holding its own most of the time as it was.

The Falcon has leg problems too, but nothing like this.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Anybody know of a quick fix jury rig for this sort of thing?

I have bought everything I want so far except the Falcon and the AT-TE. Was just fixing to do so soon, as there are plenty around, but now am a little hesitant.

Maybe this would be something Hasbro needs to be aware of immediately in the Q&A, so they can fix it now.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

It's been discussed already, but the nuts and bolts of the fix is apparently a 3/16 flexible clear plastic tubing that you can find at any major hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. A small piece cut to 5/8" IIRC, is the right size. Insert this into the space between the prongs that connect the legs to the body. This allows for a tighter fit, yet not so unwielding that you can't take it apart again if needed. Though the originator of this fix does stress to be careful when taking it apart again after you've inserted the tubing.

Here's a direct link to the thread on anotheR Site, along with the pictures:
    http://threads.rebelscum.com/showfla...=&fpart=8&vc=1

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k..._closeup_2.jpg
    http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k...nt_closeup.jpg

It seems like a minor inexpensive fix to the problem. I still one week after purchasing it, have yet to open the box. Man I'm slacking....
    -Sal
    Move along, move along

I've been hearing some disturbing news that Hasbro has cut production of the AT-TE and Falcon short because of the cost. So once this initial shipment has sold through, that's it. Hasbro's not making any more.

Maybe that's why the Hasbro rep said that they needed 100% support of the toys from the fans.

Also the stores that can't seem to sell either one are already planning to drop the prices for both in a couple of weeks. That would probably include my Wal-Mart since they haven't sold a single Falcon or AT-TE in almost a week.

I'm not going to take any chances here. I would like to support Hasbro's decision to make large vehicles (because success will eventually trickle down to the GI Joe toy line) and I want to do that by paying full price for these two awesome toys.

So, I'll be buying the AT-TE first chance I get and will try to get the Falcon within the next couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi master sal View Post
    It's been discussed already, but the nuts and bolts of the fix is apparently a 3/16 flexible clear plastic tubing that you can find at any major hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. A small piece cut to 5/8" IIRC, is the right size. Insert this into the space between the prongs that connect the legs to the body. This allows for a tighter fit, yet not so unwielding that you can't take it apart again if needed. Though the originator of this fix does stress to be careful when taking it apart again after you've inserted the tubing.

Here's a direct link to the thread on anotheR Site, along with the pictures:
    http://threads.rebelscum.com/showfla...=&fpart=8&vc=1

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k..._closeup_2.jpg
    http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k...nt_closeup.jpg

It seems like a minor inexpensive fix to the problem. I still one week after purchasing it, have yet to open the box. Man I'm slacking....
    -Sal
    Thanks, that looks like a good enough solution.
    As long as it's a simple fix like that, I don't mind.

Now I'm more afraid they are going to cut production as BigB said.

I guess I need to go over to the Falcon forum to see what's going on with that.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Good idea on the tubing, it is flexible after all.

Production drop? I doubt it, the sales on the first day were stellar, that should coast it right into Christmas which is where both pieces will do their main business. I suspect these rumors are just fear-based ether, but we'll see. I intend to buy the Falcon at the end of this month, not likely to buy the AT-TE without a price drop merely because I don't have the space or money.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

[FONT=Courier New]
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I've been hearing some disturbing news that Hasbro has cut production of the AT-TE and Falcon short because of the cost. So once this initial shipment has sold through, that's it. Hasbro's not making any more.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Maybe that's why the Hasbro rep said that they needed 100% support of the toys from the fans.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Also the stores that can't seem to sell either one are already planning to drop the prices for both in a couple of weeks. That would probably include my Wal-Mart since they haven't sold a single Falcon or AT-TE in almost a week.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I'm not going to take any chances here. I would like to support Hasbro's decision to make large vehicles (because success will eventually trickle down to the GI Joe toy line) and I want to do that by paying full price for these two awesome toys.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]So, I'll be buying the AT-TE first chance I get and will try to get the Falcon within the next couple of weeks.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Can I ask where you heard this? I am still hoping to pick up another AT-TE (now that I fix the leg problem, I'm just about over the moon about it!) or two in the coming months for my clone army and I'd really hate to see it be gone for good.[/FONT]

Well I'm picking up my second AT-TE tonight! If costs go down, I'll try for a receipt adjust and a refund. Otherwise, I'm fine with paying full price.

These sold VERY WELL for TRU. It's WM and Target's fault for not having midnight madness events or not putting their stuff out the next morning. (I realize some WMs and Ts did this, but many did not, thereby losing sales)

OOOh wait! KMart is having a Buy 2 get 1 free sale on ALL SW toys! I'm going there and getting 3!!! Their cost is the SAME as everyone else too, I just called my local one to find out.

Though when I talked with the girl who checked she said they were having a buy 1 get 1 half off. So we'll see when I get there. Either deal is sweet enough for me. They just better have 2 or 3. I can just see them only having one on the shelves and refusing to bring out more even if they have them in stock.

Go to kmart.com look to the right for the weekly ad. Click on that and find the one for this week (ad prices end TOMORROW!!!) print out the page with the SW ad on it and take it to the store (in case they don't have the circular-this way they can't back out of giving it to you for that price).
    Move along, move along

[FONT=Courier New]
    Quote Originally Posted by jedi master sal View Post
    ...OOOh wait! KMart is having a Buy 2 get 1 free sale on ALL SW toys! I'm going there and getting 3!!! Their cost is the SAME as everyone else too, I just called my local one to find out.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New] ...[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Go to kmart.com look to the right for the weekly ad. Click on that and find the one for this week (ad prices end TOMORROW!!!) print out the page with the SW ad on it and take it to the store (in case they don't have the circular-this way they can't back out of giving it to you for that price).
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Thanks for the tip about K Mart. I will have to check them out. I'm down to $140.00 in my toy fund until NEXT Friday, but I may have to break down and buy another AT-TE or two tonight or tomorrow (if I can find them at K Mart. The Target near my office had 3 when I stopped there during my lunch break.[/FONT]