Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

The 2008 Summer Olympics

Does anyone really care? I usually try to watch the opening ceremony, but it seems to drag on longer and longer each year (SPOILER: This years clocks in at a nauseating four hours and eight minutes) and has become more about showcasing/promoting/whoring the host country than the athletes involved. From the pictures I've seen from the ceremony thus far (which took place about 8:00am EST) these Olympics are no different. Hopefully NBC takes the time to edit them down, since I'm fairly certain I won't lose any sleep if I don't see Trinidad and Tobago make their grand entrance.

As for the actual events, I'm not sure I could be more apathetic and, from what I read here on these here world wide webz, I'm not alone. I think its silly for NBC and the other nine hundred networks that seem to have broadcast rights to allow time for so much coverage. Call it a hunch, but I don't think too many people in the U.S. tune in for the opening rounds of Women's Synchronized Swimming. I can understand showing basketball and baseball games in their entirety as people with even a casual interest in the sport will tune in, but does the average person care to see every single heat of the Men's 200m butterfly?

Is anyone else less than excited?
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I didn't even read your post (whoever started this thread ), but I was going to request that SPOILERS be put in the title.

I have a little interest, but I'm going to keep away from news reports (radio, online, TV, etc.) giving live results. I'll watch my normal track & field, basketball, occasional swimming or gymnastics, and try to pick an "unusual" sport (like curling from the Winter Games).
    "That's what Sheev said."

I love the Winter Olympics more than the Summer Games, mostly because the US doesn't dominate in everything, just makes it more fun to root for them, I also hate seeing spoilers...although it's tough to avoid them these days in the age that we're in....I will try to watch a lot of it though, I'll even be able to see the live stuff at 4am when I'm working!
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I was going to request that SPOILERS be put in the title.
    Because I stated how long the opening ceremony lasts? That's borderline retarded.

I'm a fan of track and field, so I'll be trying to catch as much of that as possible when it starts next week. For those who are really into it, they like seeing the prelims, and distance people like me like being able to see the 10,000 meters in its entirety. One of my college coaches got the Triplecast back in 1992 and some of us that were still in the area for the summer would come in and watch. That was great being able to see the 10,000 final uninterrupted with knowledgeable commentators like Frank Shorter and Marty Liquori.

I'm not sure how much coverage there will be in the NBC primetime schedule, since they have other sports to show. Universal HD will probably be the better bet to catch more extensive coverage, but I don't yet know when they'll be showing the events. I'll have most of the week after next off, so I'll be able to follow it a little closer at that point.

Being close to Canada, I'll also have the option to watch CBC's coverage. Sometimes I like their coverage better. Since they don't have as many athletes to cover as the U.S., and even fewer that will be winning medals, they are able to focus on great athletes and great competition regardless of whether they have any contenders in it. When they do have an athlete do well, it means a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    Because I stated how long the opening ceremony lasts? That's borderline retarded.
    That's helpful! Now I know who much Chinese food to order for all the people coming over to watch!

They will get hungry again soon, y'know!

¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

the whole Olympics are spoilers, since they are all time delayed when shown on TV.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidhuman View Post
    the whole Olympics are spoilers, since they are all time delayed when shown on TV.
    That was my point. I never read any of the posts (as I said) when I posted, so if that makes me borderline retarded, then so be it. The spoiler aspect was based on results of events later, not the opening ceremony. :OlympicSpiritofTogetherness: [edit: that sounded harsh on my part; no harm no foul ]

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7
    Now I know who much Chinese food to order for all the people coming over to watch!
    I did have Chinese take-out for dinner, in honor of the event.

[edit]And those drummers to start the ceremony were quite impressive.
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 08-08-2008 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Watching the TV
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    :OlympicSpiritofTogetherness:
    Sure enough. If India and Pakistan can play nice for a couple weeks, they surely we can get a long.

And I will now make an official statement and eat my hat: I watched damn near all four hours of the opening ceremony tonight. The show Beijing put on was second to none. Also, its fun to watch all the hot chicks during the parade of nations.

There are only two Olympic Sports I give a rat's arse about: Ice Hockey (two more years...) and Women's Beach *giggity* Volleyball.
    The rest of it just interrupts new Conan O'Brien episodes.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!