Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Only if it's in a complete sentence and includes the question in your answer.

Unless I'm greatly mistaken, author Toni Morrison is not a dude.

Our last day of Standardized testing was today. Woo hoo!
    Yeah, Toni Morrison slammed his ideas, meaning the ideas of our president. I should've clarified that.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

No prob. Teachers are always trying to clarify.

I had to use one of my remaining 44 leave days today: no voice and blowing my nose/coughing. My first day off in almost a year; lost my chance at the nonexistent perfect attendance award.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Toni Morrison was one of the speakers considered for our college graduation. But the president of the senior class, who was in charge of arrangements, instead picked the founder of some stupid clothing company (Abercrombie and Fitch, I think) because his son went to the college (and may have been a senior, I disremember). This was mainly because the son was a friend of the class president, who was a lazy fratboy.

So, yes, instead of a great speaker who is the only living American recipient of the Nobel Prize for Literature, we got a boring-arse guy who sells crappy "distressed" clothing and can't speak publicly to save his life.

Gotta love campus politics.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Found out today that my contract for next year was renewed; THANK GOD. This means i'll stay full-time with my usual salary, which is pretty nice. I was worried that I would have to work two jobs next year, teaching and retail, but alas, things look much better. I was so relieved when I got the call as it had been weighing on my mind for months and now I can finally enjoy my summer.

And speaking of summer, I got my *****iest student e-mail a few weeks ago; a student that I failed told me that my class was "boring as hell" and that they "didn't learn anything" and blah blah blah. I wanted to tell them that perhaps if they had showed up more than a few times during the last 6-7 weeks, this person might have learned something. My best reply was something along the lines of "I see that you took the time to e-mail me about your grade. If you had that sort of initiative in class, you might have passed" but I ignored this idea as it's best not to reply, IMHO. I talked to my superior about the situation in case they contacted them (which they "threatened" to do, which made me laugh even harder) and she told me if this person called, she had the info to set them straight. I mean, if you miss 6-7 weeks of class, two paper assignments, bomb a final project worth 475 points, etc, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Kids these days...

I also found out a few weeks ago that an article I wrote about the antihero in graphic novels is being published next year! Booya!

and one of my bosses sent me this and it made me giggle, hard:

English as an International Communications Medium

The European Union commissioners have announced that an agreement has been
    reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European
    communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British government conceded that English
    spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased
    plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly sivil
    servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be
    replased with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters
    kan have one less letter. There will be a growing publik enthusiasm in the
    sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replased by "f". This will
    make words like "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to
    reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments
    will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a
    deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of
    silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by
    "z" and "w" by "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from
    words kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer
    kombinations of leters.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze
    forst pläs.
    European Korespondent
    Hope you folks liked it!
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Guyute; 05-23-2009 at 12:59 AM.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Some students (not all) want to whine and complain, and the process takes more effort than just doing the assigned work.

And I love the whole "class is boring" routine. Hello, it is not supposed to be all fun and games 24/7!! You have to work to earn a grade!!

Having said that, Tuesday is my last day before summer vacation, and I am soooo glad.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

JMG: Congrats on the renewal!

And as for your student, can you say "entitlement"?

I think next year you should explain the school's policy with regard to grades and attendance; heavily punctuated with a recording of Darth Sidious' line: "Wipe them out. All of them", when it come to those students who fail to comply!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

We have 19 days left at my school. 4 are minimum days and 1 is shortened. Can't wait for summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    We have 19 days left at my school. 4 are minimum days and 1 is shortened. Can't wait for summer.
    My wife has four days left. It's funny that we're only 100 miles north of LA yet the school districts are so different as to when school starts.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    My wife has four days left. It's funny that we're only 100 miles north of LA yet the school districts are so different as to when school starts.
    It would make sense to end now, CSTs were last week and APs the two weeks before. But that would mean my school district, LAUSD, made sense.

My last day is tomorrow, and I will only be there until noon or so. Then it's summer, who hoo!!
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed