Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

I'm about to head to workshop day on campus for several hours. These things are usually okay, but I grow far too irritated with the older faculty who try to take over discussions with their own stories and whatnot. But hey, free breakfast and lunch, right?!???!

Semester starts on Monday. where did my summer go?
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute View Post
    where did my summer go?
    It got beaten by some angry Baby Boomers during one of those Town Hall meetings about healthcare...
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone View Post
    It got beaten by some angry Baby Boomers during one of those Town Hall meetings about healthcare...
    I just grow tired of discussions that always seem to go in the direction of 'oh, I had this student....' yeah, i don't give a sh--. I've had bad students too and I dealt with it. They interrupt speakers and gossip when they should be paying attention.

today was pretty solid though; I chose two workshops that were great, including the changes to MLA citation (grrrr) and breakfast and lunch were tasty!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

^MLA citation changes, WTF? I'm trying to finish my dissertation, why are there changes?

Double grrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone View Post
    ^MLA citation changes, WTF? I'm trying to finish my dissertation, why are there changes?

Double grrrrrr
    Cos somebody somewhere decided it would be a great idea and it probably makes money for..............I dunno who exactly, but dammit, money is made!

I don't have my handout on me, but it's something like the titles of EVERYTHING (movies, books, songs, etc) are in italics, URL's are removed from web sources, and in each cited entry, you have to indicate the medium: print, web, etc, etc.

It's moving more towards APA, which is far far easier (having taught my first business writing course last semester, I can say this with certainty!)

Cos somebody somewhere decided it would be a great idea and it probably makes money for..............I dunno who exactly, but dammit, money is made!

I don't have my handout on me, but it's something like the titles of EVERYTHING (movies, books, songs, etc) are in italics, URL's are removed from web sources, and in each cited entry, you have to indicate the medium: print, web, etc, etc.

It's moving more towards APA, which is far far easier (having taught my first business writing course last semester, I can say this with certainty!)
    Our dept. decided on MLA as our standard style, but some of us like to broaden the students' horizons and share APA, too. That "new" method sounds more like it was done while on crystal meth; too weird for me.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Language is constantly evolving. I looked around online and found the MLA changes. They don't seem too major to me. I have to alter several of my handouts to compensate for the update.

Our students have been back since August 10th. I have actually been back since about a week before that. The summer went by quick, but now that I'm in the zone again, I'm glad to be teaching.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

I don't have my handout on me, but it's something like the titles of EVERYTHING (movies, books, songs, etc) are in italics,
    Italics have been an option for a while. Does this mean no more underline? Smaller titles, like an article are in quotes and the journal is italics...not too much change.

URL's are removed from web sources, and in each cited entry, you have to indicate the medium: print, web, etc, etc.

URL should have been removed! Indicating source makes sense. APA is probably better!

These actually sound like reasonable changes.

I just don't like change. That often means new editions of books.

I am only halfway through my grading; I hope to get to the 2/3 mark or better after today. Sigh...
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(