Page 22 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Mrs Chux already has the obligatory, "Call me about my bratty kid causing disturbances in class, will you? It's obvious you're not going to see eye to eye! He's had this problem with teachers who don't like him before! I'm pulling him from your class!" phone call. Normally it takes a full month.
    I might be getting that very same call soon too, Chux. But I headed it off at the pass (hopefully), by mentioning it with to student's counselor first. Ah, the honeymoon lasted almost three full weeks...

And, for the first time ever, I made it through back-to-back classes without breaking down during the playing of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" for a Grapes of Wrath lesson. Stupid self-sense of patriotism and honor... :USA:
    "That's what Sheev said."

My wife is a teacher. She got laid off after last year and was just starting to enjoy the thought of having a year off when school started and she was reminded that she is the favorite substitue in the district. She has worked all but 2 days so far and is now doing long-term subbing for a teacher that got hurt and will be out for a while.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cruel View Post
    She has worked all but 2 days so far and is now doing long-term subbing for a teacher that got hurt and will be out for a while.
    That's how I was hired myself. Good luck to her!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cruel View Post
    My wife is a teacher. She got laid off after last year and was just starting to enjoy the thought of having a year off when school started and she was reminded that she is the favorite substitue in the district. She has worked all but 2 days so far and is now doing long-term subbing for a teacher that got hurt and will be out for a while.
    As a plus, long term subbing pays better than day to day subbing, but that's in LAUSD. After 100 days, she'd also qualify for full benefits. I know of subs who make more than some teachers thanks to long term assignments.

My "issue" student's parent replied and is on my side. Hooray! Discipline migth not be as dead as chivalry after all.

Subbing gets yourself "out there," meaning secretaries and teachers see what you can do well, your relationship with the kids, and how you handle the structure (or the lack thereof sometimes) of teaching someone else's lessons. If she gets a "congrats on your job, but we're sorry to lose you as a substitute" comment, that's high praise.

How have any of you teachers spent your 3-day weekend? I've put off grading as long as I can (guess that means tomorrow ).

So my second grader said her teacher is getting a divorce and repeated a phone conversation she overheard between her teacher and soon-to-be-X. I asked the teacher about it this morning and she said it was true, she was getting a divorce. I didn't press her on it, but drew her attention to what my daughter had shared.

I feel really weird because my daughter loves this teacher, but it seems a bit much for a student to know so much about a teacher's private life....now my daughter is all worried for her teacher and is asking me and my wife about divorce, etc.

I'm not trying to raise a snowflake, but isn't divorce something that should be kept out of the classroom between a teacher and her students?

What to do?
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

My students know very little about me, unless I choose to inform them (which isn't too often). Having no Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc. page keeps it that way, too. There's a BIG difference between teacher-as-buddy and teacher-as-role-model, and I take the later label VERY seriously and carefully. I can be friendly, but I won't be their friend, their peer. That gets into some dangerous territory, and I've seen some of those potentially go wrong.

What to do? I go with "just say no" to TMI.

My 9th first day of school was today. Meeting the new students, setting expectations, and establishing guidelines becomes more organic each time, but I still hate repeating my syllabus 6 times in a day. Throughout the school year, I strive to never talk as much as circumstances force me on to the first day.

Sometimes, I've made it a classwork/homework assignment to have the students take notes on the syllabus, then discuss the next day the key points they either mentioned or missed. I haven't done the syllabus-on-the-first-day thing for about 5 years now.