Page 28 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner View Post
    Oh and congrats to the California based teachers. You will surely have and extra jig in your step this week.
    They say the only stupid question is the one not asked, so I'll bite: why exactly should we CA teachers be dancing jigs this week?
    "That's what Sheev said."

I'm guessing it has to do with the additional day off this week due to furloughing. I thought it was only for LAUSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner View Post
    1) Why was conference night so late in the school year? That may be one reason for the low turnout.
    This was our second parent conference night of the year. The first was the first week of December, during the first semester. We also had Back to School Night in September.

2) The turnout rate is usually pretty good for elementary schools. Most parents recognize the need to keep on top of things for their elementary school age students.
    Often, school districts fail to understand that scheduling conference nights unilaterally makes parents have to choose between their elementary kids and high school kids. Many times, parents have complained to me about this.

Ultimately, the parent conference model that I have been exposed to during my career, just this one school for 9 years, leads me to believe there must be a better way for teachers and parents to communicate. My students and their parents can access me online, but less than 10% do. Many teachers offer this option, but until there is some reform in the area of conferencing to make it more alluring to parents, I think they'll just continue to stay home on conference nights.
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 06-05-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    I'm guessing it has to do with the additional day off this week due to furloughing. I thought it was only for LAUSD.
    Our day was last week; it actually allowed me to catch up on some grading.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Our day was last week; it actually allowed me to catch up on some grading.
    And now our last day of the year is today... but I still have about half my finals left to grade.

My tentative teaching schedule has me with a non-6th period (it will be 4th) as my prep for the first time in about six years (if you don't count the year I taught all six periods with no prep).

Today is my wife's first full day of freedom and, oh, is she happy! Especially since she's out shopping!

There goes my overtime!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Got word that I'm coming back to teach for the third and final year of my contract next year. I'm very, VERY happy about this. The only question I have: what do I do after next year?!??!! PhD?!??! Writing Certificate?!?! ahhhhh!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute View Post
    what do I do after next year?!??!! PhD?!??! Writing Certificate?!?!!
    Wal-Mart Stockboy?!?!! McDonald's fry salter?!?!! Slicker's Mom's sweat rag?!?!!
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

They turned in 4th quarter grades at my wifes school on the last Friday in May. Today was their last day with students. Needless to say she is very happy the school year is over.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Received some back-to-school paperwork in the mail today. Sigh... it's getting closer to August. Holding onto summer like grim death...