Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Special love to all teachers: preschool, elementary, Jr. High (special high five for intense courage under fire), Sr. High, and colllege. Good teachers (like good coaches) are what makes humans the superior species on planet earth. They inspire mankind's greatness, empower his faith, and give us the means to make dreams come true.

(Bad teachers create monsters, but that's another rant and not our focus here....)

The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of a teacher (sorry Vader, had you learned that you wouldn't have ended up in your black suit).

I'm proud to know teachers, proud to have had great teachers in my life, and proud to send my children into the hands of the next generation of great teachers (plus I'm proud to send my children out of the house!!!!!).

Good luck this year teachers. You matter. May the force be with you.
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone View Post
    (Bad teachers create monsters, but that's another rant and not our focus here....)
    Perhaps its just the teacher in me talking, but (at least at an upper level) bad teachers teach me just as much about teaching as good ones. While I model my own style and methods after the good ones, I use the bad ones as an example of what I do not to do.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    Perhaps its just the teacher in me talking, but (at least at an upper level) bad teachers teach me just as much about teaching as good ones. While I model my own style and methods after the good ones, I use the bad ones as an example of what I do not to do.

That's good for the teacher Captian, but still doesn't help the student.

Let me give you an example. A little boy was very poor at math, in fact, he was just plain bored with it. One day that boy started to do well in the subject in a game called around the world. Two students would be given flashcards (multiplication, addition, etc.). The winner (the one who said the answer first) advanced to face off with another student while the looser sat down. So one day this boy (yes it's me, and no I'm not a monster for those keeping tabs) started to win several rounds, 12 in a row in fact. "Math is fun" he thought. Indeed this boy beat the three smartest kids in his class during his epic run. Then he finally lost (no big deal). What was the teacher's response to his small moment of glory? "I'm glad you lost," she said, "you were annoying me." After that day, my small-lived affair with math ended in bitter, bitter angst. Luckily I still liked all other subjects so school was never a drag....except math.
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

I'd feel disrespectful saying I'm a teacher, but I am doing my student teaching this semester.
    This is where the career begins, Cappy, so yes, you are a teacher!

I'm an instructor (we don't use the word teacher....heaven forbid! Dumb cops...) in our law enforcement academy. I have lesson plans, labs, and lectures to prepare, but I only teach a 12 hour segment in the academy. Academies happen only when we're hiring, and thank the Maker I'll have three academies by year's end (this is extra bucks for me at a much higher pay than my regular job since I'm considered an adjunct faculty member through the local junior college).

I would consider myself a quasi-teacher whereas you are definitely on your way!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I've done the same thing. I remember what didn't work for me as a student, and try to NOT repeat that problem. I have my problems, sure, but I hope my good techniques and lessons overshadow my negative points.

What SW stuff (if any) is in/around your classroom, if you get your own?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    What SW stuff (if any) is in/around your classroom, if you get your own?
    For me, the only thing I could see ever making its way into one of my classes would be figures, especially those with historical elements in them (i.e. Vader's helmet).

Earlier this year I was at Hot Topic and saw the poster of "Educational Decree No. 98" from "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" and I knew I had to have it for my class. What is "Educational Decree No. 98" you ask? "Those wishing to join the Inquisitorial Squad for extra credit may sign up in the High Inquisitor's office."

I used to think I might go into teaching, but I never did go into the education program as an undergrad. I was thinking about doing it after graduation. I picked up the application packet and after looking through that I decided it wasn't for me. I decided to do what my college roommate did, which was go to grad school in math and then teach community college. As a grad student, I taught a class each quarter under the direction of a lead instructor, but I just never got comfortable doing it. I wasn't able to open up and have fun with it, and most of the students were probably bored to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    I wasn't able to open up and have fun with it, and most of the students were probably bored to tears.
    I can tell you first hand that it is due to not having done it long enough. Sure, there are "naturals" who find their "teacher pants" right away. In my experience thus far, I can see where I'm good and where I need improvement. I know I have another 30 years or so to get it right, so I don't worry about it. I simply make a note to be mindful of it next time.

For example, during my mid-tier I was required to teach a minimum of two lessons. My first lesson was on turn of the century urban living/development. That lesson went absolutely, 100% perfect to the point that students were asking me questions related to the topic (but not essential to the lesson) after the lecture. Figuring I had somehow captured lightning in a bottle, I used basically the exact same lesson format for a section on the Women's Suffrage movement. If you listen closely, you can still hear the bomb I dropped echoing somewhere over Lake Erie.

One of the great things I love about the military is the training. There is always something new to learn or something old to brush up on.

As a Non-commissioned Officer it often falls to me to teach as well. I received my "Instructor" identifier back in 1998.

I have been "teaching" for years. The subjects vary greatly, everything from, how to conduct convoy operations to field sanitation to MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) specific training. My MOS is 68A (Biomedical Equipment Technician). My "real world" job is to maintain and repair medical equipment. Then there is leadership training, mentoring and developing a new crop of NCO's to carry the mission forward. To me that has been the most rewarding, to take young Soldiers, train them, develop them and watch them grow into good leaders.

I am currently working on getting a slot at the school house. This would be a full time teaching position geared towards MOS training. We get a fresh crop of Soldiers and teach them the fundamentals of electronics, mechanics, pneumatics, hydraulics, etc. all relating specifically to our "real world" job.

I am also considering the "Troops to Teachers" program. I want to take up a teaching position directly after I retire (5 more years!!!). Something to hold me over until I can get elected into office.
    May the force be with you.

My wife's first day of school went pretty well for the most part.

Her main trouble was with a couple of parents whose kids are in her class. They are two moms we consider friends (both of their husbands work with me at the Sheriff's Office) but who cannot stand each other. I guess they got into it and one mom is considering yanking their kid out of my wife's class.

Both are Type A personalities. Both are very active volunteering in the classroom. It's too bad they're thinking of themselves and not their child's education.

¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!