Page 31 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Unhappy

I'm going to keep my teaching comments to myself; things aren't too good on my end either (and the worst part is that my school and district are excellent, so it would be deplorable elsewhere ).
    "That's what Sheev said."

JMG,
    What did you think of the article in the Bland about how the teachers are not feeling the economic crunch?
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    JMG,
    What did you think of the article in the Bland about how the teachers are not feeling the economic crunch?
    I haven't read it, but from hearing that general statement I kind of have to laugh at it. Depending on your seniority/position, a teacher may or may not be changed/hurt by the current economic state. Considering I *only* have my Master's and am heading towards the end of my contract where I teach, I'm definitely feeling the crunch. Now, if you have tenure, you could pretty much take a dump in your dean's breakfast and not be fired.

In terms of looking for jobs, as I understand it, there are lots of jobs, usually in the south or out west. My wife and I plan to head out west when she gets her Master's as we want to live in Vegas for a bit and then see what happens.

Now, for high school/elementary, etc teachers, they are definitely feeling the crunch as they're getting laid off left and right. This is only going to harm those who vote against their levies though as if you get rid of teachers, you get larger class sizes which means less time per student and then the student gets a lesser education and can't compete in college and beyond.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

The article was about suburban high school/elementary teachers and how they make *cough* $90,000 a year in Northwest Ohio.

It was definetely an over-generalfication as most of the positions listed where actually administrators and specials, and the teachers that were listed hold multiple jobs; ie. track, student council etc.

The Bland has always had it out for the teachers and this was their way to get the reading masses angry.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Still working on becoming an art teacher at the moment. Won't actualy be one for at least another 4 years. Reading this thread though has me wondering.

Am I making a huge mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroleptic View Post
    Am I making a huge mistake?
    No, you are not making a mistake.

My rant above is because my wife just had her annual review a few days ago (her teaching was observed by one of her administrators) and got in trouble for not using the "official" curriculum blessed by the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia (which SK99 astutely knew has all sorts of money attached....use our stuff or it's off with your head!). The kids didn't understand the concepts as laid out by the material, so she successfully taught the concept using other materials she prefers the kids (year after year) did understand. She was spanked because she used books out of the party line. Hopefully, this insanity will cease by the time you get your degree.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    No, you are not making a mistake.

My rant above is because my wife just had her annual review a few days ago (her teaching was observed by one of her administrators) and got in trouble for not using the "official" curriculum blessed by the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia (which SK99 astutely knew has all sorts of money attached). The kids didn't understand the concepts as laid out by the material, so she successfully taught the concept using materials the kids did understand. She was spanked because she used books out of the party line. Hopefully, this insanity will cease by the time you get your degree.
    Ah. You speak of NCLB? Yeah I'm not too thrilled about that either. I see it almost as an attempt by some in our government to intentionaly destroy our public school system because they see free education as a terrible thing.

For what it's worth, I wish more teachers would stand up and teach how they feel is best, even if it gets them in trouble, and applaud your wife for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroleptic View Post
    Ah. You speak of NCLB? Yeah I'm not too thrilled about that either. I see it almost as an attempt by some in our government to intentionaly destroy our public school system because they see free education as a terrible thing.

For what it's worth, I wish more teachers would stand up and teach how they feel is best, even if it gets them in trouble, and applaud your wife for doing so.
    Actually, NCLB is being phased out for Race to the Top, which IMHO is worse, if that's possible. Schools should be to prepare kids for their future lives and critical thinking an decision-making, not take out-of-context exams at a pace determined by someone/something else.

Wait, didn't I say I'd shut up?
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Wait, didn't I say I'd shut up?
    Yes, but your statements are worth breaking silence.

I went to the grocery store with Mrs. TI7 yesterday to pick up a few necessities for dinner. It shouldn't have taken more than 10 minutes to accomplish. We were in the store for 2½ hours because my wife kept running into parents, kids, and retired colleagues who just had to discuss little Jimmy's progress, or catch up on old times.

How often does this happen with other SSG teachers or is my wife (and therefore me) blessed with this? Good thing our "off time" isn't important!