Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Found an interesting deal for anybody here that maybe interested in looking into it more, Adobe ColdFusion 9 free for teachers and students. From my understanding ColdFusion includes IDE using CFML, a full scripting language resembling HTML. It is commonly used to create data-drive sites or intranets. Other features include object-relational mapping, instance-based licensing, and AIR local/remote database synchronization.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    How often does this happen with other SSG teacher or is my wife (and therefore me) blessed with this? Good thing our "off time" isn't important!
    Ugh, and it's not just parents of her students. It's parents of our sons friends and parents that are in the PTA and so on.

At least you were in the store. My wife usually jumps out of the car to pick up a few quick things. "I'll only be 5 minutes." A half an hour later she walks out with bread and milk. "Oh I ran into such and such."

You know whats really beginning to drive me nuts? Going to Parent-Teacher conferences for our son. I put the over/under on how many times my wife would tell his teacher that she herself was a teacher at 5 times. And as soon as my sons teacher discovers that my wife is a teacher, then she always talks solely to her and in a different language.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Thankfully I don't get the conversations, just recognition. I also follow the "rule of the schoolyard," where it's okay for a student to initiate the "hello" and weird for the teacher to do so.

Living within 20 miles of the school where I teach means I see a lot of current and former students and parents about the area. But I try to keep my teacher life and "regular" life separate, to avoid any potential issues with how students and/or parents perceive things, so that there aren't problems now or later.

But I have no issues with speaking to current or former colleagues when out and about. But always try to include those people I'm out with in any conversations I have in public; so I attempt to limit the amount of "teacher jargon" that Darth Metalmute mentioned.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Well, well, well. My wife has been deemed a worthy teacher again!
    New principal and staff this year muscle flexing.

She was a victim of Alexander Haig syndrome: "I'm in charge!"
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Think of the tagline from those Mastercard commercials: today, a student told me his notebook did not have a course score in it. I asked him he didn't put his name on it, because then I wouldn't know whose it was to give him the overall class grade; he said no. Then he proceeded to tell me he left it at home and didn't turn it in last time. I told him that would explain why there's no score, and that I can't grade what isn't turned in. He asked what he can do, and I told him he could bring it tomorrow since it's not with him now. He seemed okay with that.

Priceless.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

MasterCard commercials, if you have to type out a paragraph, you're doing it wrong.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Think of the tagline from those Mastercard commercials: today, a student told me his notebook did not have a course score in it. I asked him he didn't put his name on it, because then I wouldn't know whose it was to give him the overall class grade; he said no. Then he proceeded to tell me he left it at home and didn't turn it in last time. I told him that would explain why there's no score, and that I can't grade what isn't turned in. He asked what he can do, and I told him he could bring it tomorrow since it's not with him now. He seemed okay with that.

Priceless.
    My mantra: NO NAME, NO CREDIT! I always advise students not to put their name on anything they are not proud of, though. So I interpret anything without a name as having been deemed unworthy of one. A colleague of mine just tosses them in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    My mantra: NO NAME, NO CREDIT! I always advise students not to put their name on anything they are not proud of, though. So I interpret anything without a name as having been deemed unworthy of one. A colleague of mine just tosses them in the trash.
    That's what I thought at first. But in his case, he received no grade because it was at his house, never turned it in!

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
    MasterCard commercials, if you have to type out a paragraph, you're doing it wrong.
    And I had no dollar amount$, either.

A few months back, a teacher on campus organized a letters-for-the-troops campaign, and sent them to base(s) overseas. Well, yesterday, one of the soldiers (who'd atendted the school) came to the campus to personally thank the classes who sent letters. Talk about showing kids how their efforts have rewards beyond points and grades. :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    A few months back, a teacher on campus organized a letters-for-the-troops campaign, and sent them to base(s) overseas. Well, yesterday, one of the soldiers (who'd atendted the school) came to the campus to personally thank the classes who sent letters. Talk about showing kids how their efforts have rewards beyond points and grades. :salute:
    *Pushes "Like" button*
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!