Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Whew. I just had the scare of my life.

Back in late May, my host teacher and I agreed that I will teach US government, Western Civ and World history. We've been emailing each other the last few days in preparation for next week and she mentions to me where I should start planning for 9/10 US history, even though she told me last spring that she still wanted to teach those two classes. I pooped myself when I realized that I was going to have five preps.

I told her I was "up to the challenge" and then she remembered our conversation and was actually relieved that I was "letting her keep" her two US classes. The worst part was is that I got the email from her telling me I had five preps last night about 11:00, which caused a little bit of sleeplessness!
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    Whew. I just had the scare of my life.

I pooped myself when I realized that I was going to have five preps.

The worst part was is that I got the email from her telling me I had five preps last night about 11:00, which caused a little bit of sleeplessness!
    When I started my student teaching, I found out the first day of school what subjects I was going to teach. Luckily, my two master teachers were planning on letting me watch for a week or so before beginning my own lessons. :whew: Funniest part was that the teaching program called about two months into the year, a phone message is on my machine, telling me which HS school site I am supposed to teach at; I called them back to tell them I'd been teaching in the classrooms for a few weeks already. They were surprised as to how I knew where to go. Gotta love the education system!

And TI, I've had some parent conflicts in the past. Some even called me at home. And Back to School Night was tough; I actually asked an administrator to be in the classroom during that time.

I am now starting to get the nerves for Day One.
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 08-19-2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: For absolute prefection, I mean, perfection...
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    When I started my student teaching, I found out the first day of school what subjects I was going to teach. Luckily, my two master teachers were planning on letting me watch for a week or so before beginning my own lessons. :whew: Funniest part was that the teaching program called about two months into the year, a phone message is on my machine, telling me which HS school site I am supposed to teach at; I called them back to tell them I'd been teaching in the classrooms for a few weeks already. They were surprised as to how I knew where to go. Gotta love the education system!

And TI, I've had some parent conflicts in the past. Some even called me at home. And Back to School Night was tough; I actually asked an administrator to be in the classroom during that time.

I am now starting to get the nerves for Day One.
    Teaching at the college level, I can gleefully avoid any sort of parent interaction or complaints. I can simply tell them, "if your child is over 18, it is against the law for me to reveal any information regarding grades, attendance, etc, etc." Gotta love that!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Well I am off to teach the youth of America...have a great day everyone!!
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

What "extra duty" (yes, I am setting myself up for comments on this one, so fire away ) assignments have you/your teachers signed up for? I usually go for track & field officiating (recording high/long jump or shot/discus or timer for races, etc.)
    You seem to be into the track & field. Did you compete, and if so, what events? I was a distance runner. Not in great shape now though, only running about one day a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    You seem to be into the track & field. Did you compete, and if so, what events? I was a distance runner. Not in great shape now though, only running about one day a week.
    My current "shape" is globular.

Events I ran at least twice in a meet in HS (* = more of a regular event for me)
    220 yd
    440 yd *
    880 yd *
    mile
    2 mile
    mile relay *
    high jump *
    long jump
    triple jump *
    3 mile (cross country team) *

Events I ran in junior college:
    800 m
    1500 or 1600 m
    high jump
    triple jump

I was a ultimate "tweener" runner; not good enough for a top varsity spot, too good for JV, and never really found (obviously... ) "my" event. They tried me at hurdles and pole vault, too. I knew I'd never make it at 100, shot, or discus. My PRs are average-good, for the most part.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

My current "shape" is globular.

Events I ran at least twice in a meet in HS (* = more of a regular event for me)
    220 yd
    440 yd *
    880 yd *
    mile
    2 mile
    mile relay *
    high jump *
    long jump
    triple jump *
    3 mile (cross country team) *

Events I ran in junior college:
    800 m
    1500 or 1600 m
    high jump
    triple jump

I was a ultimate "tweener" runner; not good enough for a top varsity spot, too good for JV, and never really found (obviously... ) "my" event. They tried me at hurdles and pole vault, too. I knew I'd never make it at 100, shot, or discus. My PRs are average-good, for the most part.
    So, it looks like you were mostly a middle distance runner. You actually ran the yard distances rather than meters? Our high school track wasn't metric at the time, but they had the marks on it so that we were able to run the metric distances. We didn't really have separate meets for JV except for maybe a JV league meet. Everyone competed in the dual meets. Only three per event could compete at the varsity league meet. Same thing with invitationals, though that might have only been two per event.

Four entries per meet was our limit; invitationals I think was the same. Once it got to "playoff" time (meaning after league meets), coaches usually limited it to two or three to get the best performances. Most of the distances were run at the yard marks, but some were meters. College was all metric.

BTW, here're some pics of parts of three of the four walls in room C-40:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClassroomA.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	18033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClassroomB.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	18034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClassroomC.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	18035  

Great "Foreshadowing" example!

My sister recently started teaching for her first year; it's at an inner-city school and she teaches math and science. She seems to like it apart from one or two problem kids (as in any class). My mom started student teaching, too, so I have a few teachers in the family.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

BCJ, I love the "you stuff" on the wall behind your desk. I don't think enough teachers do that type of thing (in my experience at least) and that leads to a cold, sterile environment. Just because I'm not trying to be their friend doesn't mean I don't want my kids to know me.

You're covering your "Dimension 1" very well, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by JJL
    Great "Foreshadowing" example!
    Is that the route you plan on heading as well?
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.