Page 43 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Conversation in my classroom yesterday:

Student: "Why did I get a '4' on this [10-point] assignment?"
    Me: "Because this was almost word-for-word the same as other student's."
    Student: "Yeah, I worked on it with another person."
    Me: "But you still have to do your own work. I'm not going to figure out who copied, so I split the points in half between the two."
    Student: "Even on a little assignment like this?"
    Me: "I could've given you both a '0.' It's still plagiarism."
    Student: "Oh. So, that's the way it's gonna be."
    Me [in my head] : "LOL!! LOL!!" (and I had to cover my mouth a couple times in class to keep my laughing smile covered up )
    You were generous. They both would have gotten a zero for that nonsense in my class.

Usually the first time is enough to discourage a second one. If so, I go the zero route.

And JJB, we're currently at a 175-day year, but we could lose 5-15 more if the state's sales tax proposition fails in Nov.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Yes, I think our last day would be May. 15 if the prop fails to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    And JJB, we're currently at a 175-day year, but we could lose 5-15 more if the state's sales tax proposition fails in Nov.
    For whatever reason I was thinking it'd be more not less days, another 1-3 weeks would be huge.

In what other profession (aside from comics or trivia) can a person reference Mr. Mxyzptlk and have it be relevant? Teaching has its bad days, but it rocks most of the time!

Well, I reported to Fort Sam Houston on the 10th of August for "Instructor Duty".

I've spent the last few weeks in school, getting certified and earning my Instructor badge. I have to sit through a few courses then test with a 90% in order to certify on the course. After that I will be reviewed and I still have a few prerequisites to knock out (I have to complete everything within 1 year).

The course is accredited, so the requirements are pretty high. The Air Force tracks all our training and hours in a system they call "STARS". Which is good because once I reach a certain level I can simply apply for my teaching certificate and I will be good to go.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to instructing/teaching. Three years of this, I should be able to decide if I want to teach as a career when I retire. If so, this will work out great since I retire in three years. It should be a smooth transition.
    May the force be with you.

Great to hear, sk_99! Any possibility that a certain author of objectivism will squeeze into your curriculum somehow?

We have a window! Last year, the powers-that-be finally decided that the inconvenience of having to unlock the staff room door every time outweighed the damage and theft of property inside said room. Today, we got a window put in that very door, so we don't have to guess if someone is behind it or open it uber-cautiously. Quickly installed, too (started after school began, done before lunch was over). I didn't see or hear, but they did not seem to have replaced the door, but inserted the window (and added the frame).

It's parent-teacher conference week for my wife. So far, she's had about a 75% no-show of parents. She called one no-show parent with whom she really needed to speak, and the parent hung up on her right after she identified herself.

More dumbing-down of America....
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I'm shocked that Prop. 30 passed here in California. I guess winter break will go back to three weeks this year, where it had been rumored to go to five weeks.