Page 48 of 57 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Well, here's the only negative I'll share: worst final exams time in my career teaching.

There, now that that's out of the way... :brusheshands: All things considered, this year was somewhere in the middle; not too terrible, not totally awesome. Just have to finish grading exams, clean up and close up my classroom, hand in keys and paperwork. Year #11 is almost in the books!
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I've got 11 more school days before turning in final grades and cleaning up. This 12th year of teaching has been my most arduous. We lost a student in February and my friend who taught across the hall from me died in April of cancer-related complications a week short of his 46th birthday. Add to that a transition to being leadership adviser and yearbook sponsor, along with continuing to sponsor the school newspaper and the after school peer counseling program and I ended up with the most trying teaching year I've had. I can hardly wait until the last day of school (June 7), graduation (June 10), staff meetings (June 11 & 12), and grad-nite (June 14) are over. Challenge is important, so I hope the trials of this year help make me a more effective teacher next year.

Looking back more specifically, and with a decent night's sleep after the last day of finals, here's how this year went:
    - first year with new principal (who had been part of the school before)
    - WASC review team (of which I was part of the campus leadership committee)
    - CA Distinguished School review team (I wasn't on this committee)
    - trying to maintain school's strong scores in the area
    - first time teaching juniors, including getting a new class two weeks into the year (worked out fairly fine, except for the students who physically challenged me once or twice)
    - supposed to have collaborated with the Special Education dept. (scheduling changes ended that, but the computer schedule and paperwork still showed it was going on)
    - standard help with HS exit exam, standardized testing coverage
    - 2nd recycling scholarship based on collecting items (also to buy HSEE snacks for those students)
    - some good colleagues retiring
    - stopped our department literary journal (for various reasons, some financial; members of dept. only realized I really wasn't doing it again at the end of the year despite my comments confirming it all year)
    - more "facepalm" meetings with parents/counselors/admin.
    - my 3-year review (it went interestingly well?)
    - upcoming changes to Common Core national standards
    - more physical issues (back, feet and toes, sleep, memory) than before

Again, all the good things still outweigh the not-so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Looking back more specifically, and with a decent night's sleep after the last day of finals, here's how this year went:
    - first year with new principal (who had been part of the school before)
    - WASC review team (of which I was part of the campus leadership committee)
    - CA Distinguished School review team (I wasn't on this committee)
    - trying to maintain school's strong scores in the area
    - first time teaching juniors, including getting a new class two weeks into the year (worked out fairly fine, except for the students who physically challenged me once or twice)
    - supposed to have collaborated with the Special Education dept. (scheduling changes ended that, but the computer schedule and paperwork still showed it was going on)
    - standard help with HS exit exam, standardized testing coverage
    - 2nd recycling scholarship based on collecting items (also to buy HSEE snacks for those students)
    - some good colleagues retiring
    - stopped our department literary journal (for various reasons, some financial; members of dept. only realized I really wasn't doing it again at the end of the year despite my comments confirming it all year)
    - more "facepalm" meetings with parents/counselors/admin.
    - my 3-year review (it went interestingly well?)
    - upcoming changes to Common Core national standards
    - more physical issues (back, feet and toes, sleep, memory) than before

Again, all the good things still outweigh the not-so.
    I saw that you taught juniors this year? Is it true that high school teachers generally want to teach the upperclassmen since they are more likely to be invested in education and they know the game after 10+ years of education as opposed to the underclassmen who are filled with a mix of students who may go on to vocational, drop-out, and are still hormonal?

Also, the Common Core national standards are being implemented in NY for the second year in a row. The first was full of kinks. Is CA aligned pretty well to the standards? I thought our state was aligned until I saw how much much higher rigor the new standards are. Not surprising the standards have been met with much anger since are students are being asked to perform at higher tasks that they are largely not capable of meeting.

This past year was rewarding. I feel a sense of comfort with my job that I had not yet experienced in my previous years. I also continued to serve as the PTA liason for our school, coordinated recycling in my school for the 5th year in a row, started a knitting club with a co-teacher and students (I have no idea to knit, just volunteered to monitor the students) and became coordinator of our student council when a teacher went on extended leave.

It was also the first year of A.P.P.R (Annual Professional Performance Review) the new teacher evaluation process in our district, and I was very satisfied with my evaluation, despite the anxiety it caused.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner View Post
    I saw that you taught juniors this year? Is it true that high school teachers generally want to teach the upperclassmen since they are more likely to be invested in education and they know the game after 10+ years of education as opposed to the underclassmen who are filled with a mix of students who may go on to vocational, drop-out, and are still hormonal?

Also, the Common Core national standards are being implemented in NY for the second year in a row. The first was full of kinks. Is CA aligned pretty well to the standards? I thought our state was aligned until I saw how much much higher rigor the new standards are. Not surprising the standards have been met with much anger since are students are being asked to perform at higher tasks that they are largely not capable of meeting.

This past year was rewarding. I feel a sense of comfort with my job that I had not yet experienced in my previous years. I also continued to serve as the PTA liason for our school, coordinated recycling in my school for the 5th year in a row, started a knitting club with a co-teacher and students (I have no idea to knit, just volunteered to monitor the students) and became coordinator of our student council when a teacher went on extended leave.

It was also the first year of A.P.P.R (Annual Professional Performance Review) the new teacher evaluation process in our district, and I was very satisfied with my evaluation, despite the anxiety it caused.
    Actually, I've preferred the lower grades (9th and 10th) since they aren't as cynical to education and realizing they're closer to leaving HS. Juniors are still hormonal, but most have learned to keep the verbal aspects of that more quiet. As of my preliminary schedule, I have ALL juniors this coming year; I'm hoping there will be a change, even if it adds a single freshman or sophomore class.

Our district started with the CC standards planning a year ago, so we're somewhat prepared. To be honest, it's not all that different from what my school's been doing the post several years, anyway.

Great to hear of your accomplishments! My 11th year was in the middle: some bad, some good. I gave out my second recycling scholarship (from items collected over the year, minus funds used for Exit Exam snacks), was on our school's focus team for WASC accreditation, and taught juniors for the first time. I had a period that was my most immature 10th graders I have ever taught.

I was evaluated this year (our district does it every 2 or 3 years, once you pass about 5 in the district), but I felt the lesson and timing of the evaluation would work against me (day after the HSEE). Turned out fine.

I will likely go back to my classroom tomorrow to start putting my room back in place. I do that, just a few hours at a time, so I'm not stressing to do so the week (or weekend) before school resumes.

I will likely go back to my classroom tomorrow to start putting my room back in place. I do that, just a few hours at a time, so I'm not stressing to do so the week (or weekend) before school resumes.
    Well, due to waxing of floors and painting of hallways, I couldn't get into my classroom until about a week ago, but it's ready to go, I suppose. Just need to plan the first week (only three days long: Wed.-Fri.) of lessons. Here we go, year 12 of teaching!

Well, due to waxing of floors and painting of hallways, I couldn't get into my classroom until about a week ago, but it's ready to go, I suppose. Just need to plan the first week (only three days long: Wed.-Fri.) of lessons. Here we go, year 12 of teaching!
    When does school start?

Classes begin this Wednesday, but we report for teacher/district meetings starting tomorrow.

Remember when Labor Day was your clue that school was soon approaching? Now it's the first day off AFTER the year's begun (we only have that one day off, from day one, until Veterans' Day in Nov. ).

I, too, haven't had access to the classroom and won't until Tuesday, our first meeting day. The kids come back on August 13 and there will be meetings and, in my case, lots of photocopying, up until that day. This will be year 13 and I no longer have to be the leadership or yearbook advisor, so hopefully the year is far less hectic that the last one. I wish all the teachers on this board a speedy and successful year behind the desk, in front of the board, and underneath mounds of papers awaiting grades. Go Team Venture!

Classes begin this Wednesday, but we report for teacher/district meetings starting tomorrow.

Remember when Labor Day was your clue that school was soon approaching? Now it's the first day off AFTER the year's begun (we only have that one day off, from day one, until Veterans' Day in Nov. ).
    I think that when I was in 1st and 2nd grade, we started before Labor Day, but after that I think it was always after Labor Day. At the very least, it was in September and not August. When I was in first grade, I think we were done with school by June 3. We took a trip to California, and the lines at Disneyland were usually not long, probably due to most kids not yet being out of school.