Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

So how's this for pathetic planning? Every year, 11th grade students take the California State University EAP (Early Admissions Program) test is comprised of the English (a 45 minute timed writing exam and about a dozen multiple choice questions) and math (about a dozen multiple choice questions). The timed writing is administered in their English class during February/Marc and the multiple choice questions are tacked onto the CST (California Standards Test) which students used to take in April when the CST was typically given. This year, there is no longer a CST, so the students were allotted two days this coming week, Wednesday and Thursday, to take the EAP. I was shocked when I discovered this on Thursday, since I figured blocking off half the day for each test was overkill, since there were only about a dozen questions in each discipline to answer. As it turns out, the California State University system won't assess any EAP that is not attached to a completed CST, so on Wednesday and Thursday, five school days before final exams, the students in 11th grade must complete the entire CST. No teachers were told and neither were students until Friday. I had long ago planned lessons for those days, but they are now out the window. I'm disappointed that the school, district, and/or state, whomever it was that is responsible for this, has done this seemingly out of nowhere.

...and this is one of many reasons why our state is imploding. Sacramento is totally clueless; not to mention corrupt.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    So how's this for pathetic planning? ... I had long ago planned lessons for those days, but they are now out the window. I'm disappointed that the school, district, and/or state, whomever it was that is responsible for this, has done this seemingly out of nowhere.
    Our school had days blocked off for those assessments (plus the 10th grade Life Science test), but changed the schedule for them a couple times; the end result was two days, with one an adjusted bell schedule with 3 (or was it just 2...?) hour block and 30 minutes classes. The Smarter Balanced computer testing was done over a 5-day period in junior English classes (talk about messing with lesson ideas ) about a week or so before the fake CST-ing. I didn't shoot the local messengers over this, as I attended a SB training session (and the district coordinator was top-down told how to do things) and realized there's too much assuming going on from the state level without the necessary clear information. Now, assess THAT real world scenario, kids!

BTW, down to one class mega-grading and half of another; just need time to type up and print the final exam now!
    "That's what Sheev said."

Worked the tickets at the gate for graduation, which means the school year is officially over! But I still have to grade three of my five classes' final exams (some of those are done, some are started), then clean up and put away the stuff in my classroom. We're supposed to get key cards next year, so we have to give our keys back... forever!

Eight school days before graduation - which means eight days of free labor in the classroom for clean up and packing away things for summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    Eight school days before graduation - which means eight days of free labor in the classroom for clean up and packing away things for summer.
    ...and let's not forget the free labor at the BEGINNING of the new school year, too.....

School freedom! Grades recorded and submitted, keys turned in, room stuff packed up, items trashed or recycled, papers filed away, sign-out paperwork signed out. Found out I'll be teaching a course I didn't request, but somebody's got to do it (it is a smaller class, so my overall caseload would be smaller, and I know the material quite well). We English teachers are supposed to meet a couple times over the summer to review and break down the Common Core units that've been created, since we go live with them this school year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    School freedom! Grades recorded and submitted, keys turned in, room stuff packed up, items trashed or recycled, papers filed away, sign-out paperwork signed out. Found out I'll be teaching a course I didn't request, but somebody's got to do it (it is a smaller class, so my overall caseload would be smaller, and I know the material quite well). We English teachers are supposed to meet a couple times over the summer to review and break down the Common Core units that've been created, since we go live with them this school year.
    22 days left for me. A little jelly at that and also the fact that secondary instructors get the last few days to clean and organize the room while elementary teachers in our district have students right until our very last day (although we have the final 3 days as 1/2 days with the kids).
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

At 12:25pm PST a week from today, I released my last class of kids to the summer world, as the final bell of the 2013-2014 school year rang. I still had 3/5 of my grading to complete and all the packing up to do. Some teachers can grade during final exam times, or they pack up their rooms during the same times; I cannot. So it's all afterwards for me.

While I was at work, Mrs. TI7 sent me a text informing me that she finished her report cards and now only has to turn in her keys tomorrow and say adios to the school year. Saturday we'll be east bound and down.