Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

No, I won't be teaching. I just started at the University of Colorado (I moved here yesterday; classes start Monday) to study film so I can make movies that can be shot down and scrutinized online. (If by "route," you meant turning into a homicidal maniac like Anakin, I'm not planning on that, either. )

As for personal items, one of my teachers in high school brought in a group of action figures every week and put them on display. Each week had a theme - underwater (Spongebob, the Yellow Submarine, Nemo, etc.), aliens (Yoda, Toy Story alien, etc.). There was often a bit of Star Wars and it was really cool.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    BCJ, I love the "you stuff" on the wall behind your desk. I don't think enough teachers do that type of thing (in my experience at least) and that leads to a cold, sterile environment. Just because I'm not trying to be their friend doesn't mean I don't want my kids to know me.

You're covering your "Dimension 1" very well, my friend.
    My rule (well, one of my 3 rules) is that everything must have a reason for being in the classroom. My area is by my desk for looking, not touching. Other things around the room are slightly more "interactive," and more for/by the students (no work to display just yet). I have struggled with that friend/friendly aspect for years, mainly because of all the TV coverage/lawsuits about teachers who DO get too friend-ly, and a not-yet mature teenager often can't tell the difference. I try to be nice, polite, and occasionally funny (maybe not ) but remain the adult and teacher most of the time. To some, that's boring or stiff at times, but I've seen too many others that are very friendly and I have to wonder when/if something bad might unintentionally happen to them.
    "That's what Sheev said."

So, BCJ, how did the first day back at school go?
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

What a great thread, thanks for the well wishes TeeEye.

This time of the year is the duldrums for teachers. The last meal. The final calm before the storm. Your mind cannot escape that your respite which lasted two months, is going to come to a sudden end and soon, we will find ourselves knee deep in planning, paperwork, scheduling, meetings, procedures, rules, and pre-teen drama (but what other professions can boast summers off?)

BCJ, your classroom looks like a feast for the eyes. A visual celebration. Kudos to you for reinforcing your lessons all while maintaining kick arse aesthetics.

Cappy, student teaching is a learning experience. My two placements saw the highest of highs (like I had great lessons when my evaluator came in) and a few quite pathetic and miserable lows (I did not have a great relationship with my second placement, a kindergarten teacher of all things, not my fault though). You will gain an insight to what level you are most comfortable with and as BCJ, keep a sharp eye out for ideas, lessons, etc. from other teachers. I kept a notebook that catalogued the best of ideas from other teachers when I substitute taught (talk about a humble job) and was even known to pilfer a few activities (copies of course).

Anyway, here is to a good year to all teachers, students, and to the families of them.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

I received this from a former student about a year ago:

Please read it through before getting upset. It's good for a laugh...

"TEACHERS ARE OVERPAID!
    I, for one, am sick and tired of those highly paid teachers. Their hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do, baby-sit! We can get that for less than minimum wage. That's right! I would give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked, not any silly planning time. That would be $15.00 a day. Each parent should pay $15.00 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now, how many do they teach in a day? Maybe 25. Then that's 15 x 25= $375.00 a day. But remember they only work 200 days a year! I'm not going to pay them for any vacations. Let's see? That's 375 x 200 = $75,000.00. (Hold on, my calculator must need batteries!)

What about those Leading Teachers or the ones with Masters Degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage just to be that fair. Let's round it off to $6.00 an hour. That would be $6.00 times five hours times 25 children times 200 days = $150,000.00 per year. Wait a minute, there is something wrong here!

THERE SURE IS...

And this doesn't even mention teachers who teach more than 1 period a day."

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    So, BCJ, how did the first day back at school go?
    This was one of the best first days in a long time. No major issues with the classroom A/C, no discipline problems at all, no tardy students, some actually laughed at intentionally funny comments, kids answered questions and weren't too quiet, no complaining about having to write the first day. Overall, I give it a

Quote Originally Posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
    BCJ, your classroom looks like a feast for the eyes. A visual celebration. Kudos to you for reinforcing your lessons all while maintaining kick arse aesthetics.
    Thanks! I try to add a few items each year (I didn't show the Taco Bell TPM ceiling display I flattened as a wall trim). My "Wall of M.T.J.E." idea was new last year (but not much participation... More Than Just Existence was to include photos or other "proof" of students living enjoyable lives; there were four ).

see, I just get an office space (sharing one right now), so while I bummed that I can't put up geeky stuff, I can put goofy stuff on my office walls. I had a slew ofs tupid things in my office last year, including posters from ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, THE OFFICE and the Admiral Ackbar poster that says, 'ES UNA TRAMPA!" and so forth. I think at the end of this semester, i'll get my own official office that I can load up with books i'll never read, but that can intimidate my kids. hehehhehe

I taught my first four classes of the week and despite being a bit nervous and probably sweating like Robin Williams up there, it went well. Most of my classes were very responsive to my upbeat teaching style and my jokes; me telling them to all become Cubs fans cos if the Cubs make it to the series i'm calling off class got laughs every time (either at the notion of a Cubs world series or at my excitement about it, i'm not sure ).

I just need to get into the routine though as on tuesday and thursday, I don't have to teach until 5:15 pm and I go until 9:40 with only a 15 minute break. It's just kind of bleurgh to wait around, but this does leave these afternoons open.

But now that I got the opening chats out of the way, we start actual discussion and whatnot tomorrow for all of my classes, which i'm really excited about!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute View Post
    I had a slew ofs tupid things in my office last year, including posters from ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, THE OFFICE and the Admiral Ackbar poster that says, 'ES UNA TRAMPA!" and so forth.

me telling them to all become Cubs fans cos if the Cubs make it to the series i'm calling off class got laughs every time (either at the notion of a Cubs world series or at my excitement about it, i'm not sure ).
    I would absolutely LOVE such an Ackbar poster!

I can speak with my students of my allegiance to the Pittsburgh Pirates, which as of this post, if still a Major League Baseball franchise. No frontrunner, bandwagoners here.

BTW, here's a run-down of the SW items visible in my classroom:
    - Anakin w/ Vader shadow (as example of foreshadowing)
    - Leia/Luke, Anakin/Padme card (as example of gender roles), with a ROTS trading card that's titled "Star Crossed Lovers" (a Romeo & Juliet allusion)
    - Taco Bell ceiling hanger display (used as wall border)
    - R2D2, clone trooper, and Vader candy containers
    - various pictures of my SW collection, or me at events

Not to sound like bragging, but I really like (and appreciate) my classroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    Has anyone had a student refer to you as "Tee-otch"?
    No, but based on my last name (Jos? ), there are several cuss words or insults available to them, and I've been given a couple rap artist-style names over the years. :representmypeepsyo : All in fun and hopefully with respect?