Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Had Back to School Night last night (which probably explains why I canghe wok xfko wfk];;wpl 8yup qccl ... ), which is a great experience at our school and with pretty good parent attendance. How's it for you other teachers, if such an event exists where you are? Or any parents going there?
    "That's what Sheev said."

Our school had "Open House" the night after you did.

I had 13 out of my 17 students show up with some representation (mom, dad, grandparent, etc.) which is about average. Those in the lower primary grades generally have 90% or better, but as the grade levels get higher, the amount of parents attending decreases.

I find it relaxing for the most part. I usually meet with parents on a one-on-one basis, peddling the line "It's still early in the year, more time is needed to form a basis (of this or that) about your child." At a certain time, a grade level is designated to being a presentation that is staggered throughout the evening, to allow the parents of those who have multiple kids in different grade levels to attend each presentation.

This year, our 4th grade team decided to put on a presentation in the cafeteria in front of about 50 parents. I didn't like it, (I am not a good public speaker in front of larger adult crowds) but I did okay, since I had to read off a powerpoint basically.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Just got back from a Saturday parent meeting, so no action figure hunting for me this morning. In fact, the same can be said every Saturday. At our school, we have weekly parent education classes on Saturdays. The purpose of the program is to make parents more accountable for their students. We train them to be more strategically involved in what their kids do at home. I give them basic techniques to help their kids in English classes (MAKE THEM READ!!!) and then I work with their kids for 3 hours to get their writing up to speed. It's a minor sacrifice to go each week and almost every Saturday I tell myself "this is the last one," but ultimately it's worth it.

Back to school night, aka "the long dark of Moria," is Thursday for us. I typically get about 30-40 parents. I like meeting the parents and impressing upon them how much of an impact their influence has on the kids.

That's a great program and some dedication there, Maradona. That kind of "remediation" on a weekend shows the caring and determination of a school/district towards learning. Since I stopped being the yearbook advisor, I've felt that I've had more time for tutoring or general help for students; some have even come back in later years to ask for help with their other teachers' work. Feels nice, one of those rare see-that-you-really-make-a-difference moments.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Agreed. The overwhelming majority of the parents involved have limited English skills at best. This type of program teaches them to communicate more effectively in English with emphasis on the skills they would need to help their kids with school. The hope is that if parents are more involved, the benefits will trickle down.

Doing Saturdays after a long week is not as tough as it may sound. If the parents can do it, so can I.

Two things:
    How are our SSG's teacher's health holding up? My wife was out all of last week courtesy of a virus probably from one of her third graders. This is a record in that she lasted almost until November before getting sick. That usually happens by the third week of school.

She's also being reviewed this week by her principal on top of parent/teacher conferences, also this week. With all the hours she's putting in preparing for both events, I calculate that she's probably making California minimum wage now (which is fifty cents higher than the Federal wage).

Ah, the life of the nation's educators!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Well, my daughter just got her report card. She made the A-B honor roll. Her reading and comprehension are through the roof. No surprise there, we read to her every night without fail (my wife and I take turns), she has a small library of her own and she watches television with CC on.

The CC thing started with me, my hearing loss makes it hard to hear certain speakers and words, so I watch with CC so as not to miss anything. My daughter picked up the habit and watches almost everything with CC now.

Her math skills are a little weaker, she's getting mid to high 80's. We will need to work with her on that.
    May the force be with you.

What grade is your daughter in? I was a math major, but I can remember having trouble with subtraction in first grade. In third grade, we did these timed tests. I passed all the addition and subtraction ones on the first try. When I got to the 5th multiplication test, it took me a few tries to get past that one. I think at that grade level, drills and repetition are what you need to learn your arithmetic. Eventually I got to the point where I see two numbers and automatically know their sum or product. And you really only need to know anything up to 10x10 because anything after that is just learning the process of how to work with larger numbers. With addition it is knowing how to carry. In multiplication it is repetitive multiplications of numbers less than 10 followed by addition of the results.

When you get to a more advanced level, you can learn other tips and tricks to make the process easier, especially if you don't have pen and paper to work it out. Multiplying 39 times 79 the traditional way would be hard to do in your head. But if you look at it instead as (40-1)*(80-1), then it becomes easier if you know the distributive property multiplication.

Once you have mastered arithmetic and know algebraic principles, then that give you a good grasp on the language of mathematics. Then the more advanced stuff comes much easier. The problem I saw in teaching intermediate algebra in college is that a lot of people really struggled with those basic algebraic principles.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Two things:
    How are our SSG's teacher's health holding up?
    Better than I expected *knocks wood*. We had a nasty bug go around our house the past week but its hard to say where it came from given me in my school, my wife working in a daycare and our kids in a different daycare. There is about 300 different people it could've came from!
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Serious question here, no intent to flame or incite argument of Rancor Pit proportions, but what is the general attitude in everyone's communities toward teachers and specifically teacher's unions?

Growing up, I always heard how great teachers are but since I've gotten older, I have noticed some anti-teacher union sentiment. Maybe it's just the political nature and people separate the two...but I'm curious what it's like in other states.

Again, I'm not trying to start any political debate here.