Page 25 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

I started collecting final projects yesterday; next week is our finals week, but I don't have an official final and I learned during my first semester teaching not to collect items during finals week cos more than likely, students will blow off their english courses for their more "important" classes (I guess writing isn't important, eh??! ).

My two classes yesterday turned everything in and I actually got them all graded. In my first class, I have roughly 7 out of 17 registered (a few have dropped though) that will pass the course. I expected this though, aside from one student who just bombed the final paper and portfolio.

My second class is a bit worse with 6 out of 17 or so passing. I was really shocked at these numbers as I had more students in my projections passing, but again, bombed the final paper and portfolio. I was kinda irritated too as the portfolio consists of revising two papers and then writing some reflections; an easy 100 points. Lots of students had problems with the research paper as they would give me facts/research and not provide cites, so they lost serious points. I spent a month and a half going over this with them and many of them just ignored me. You would think that a student would pay attention with 400 points on the line.

I'm collecting the other two classes worth of work today; I don't expect it'll be too rough as 95% of these students are on the ball, big time. I hope to be done grading by tomorrow night. I'm giving them two days next week to pick things up, but then grades will be posted. After that, I'm done and can relax till mid January!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

I have had no desire to grade any of the four piles of final exams the last couple days. Notice what I am NOT doing right now, eh?
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I have had no desire to grade any of the four piles of final exams the last couple days. Notice what I am NOT doing right now, eh?
    I feel that.

I finished all of my grading in about three days and the following week I stayed in my office m-w for about 5-8 hours each day so students could pick stuff up. I had more come in than I expected, mostly on tues and wed, but hey, I didn't mind. I spent those days in my office watching movies on my ipod, reading a stack of rolling stones that had been collecting dust, and I even attended our faculty holiday party on monday.

Tallies for my classes:
    #1- 7 failed, 7 passed
    #2- 10 failed, 6 passed
    #3-#4- roughly 42 passed, 4-6 failed

I did have a first this semester: a student e-mailing me about their grade (failed) and then asked me to find it in my heart to pass them. They even tried to do assignments they missed and mail them to me. Never had that happen before!

but alas, i'm done for the semester and now starts my 3 1/2 week paid break. Wooot!

How's everybody else doing/holding up?
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Only finished one of five classes (essay with 20 short answer questions), and am STILL in no hurry to get to them.

Family's in town (I had been down south a few miles visiting, now back home), so that'll surely increase my desire to grade...

I graded 140 3-5 page essays last week. I did not want to have to grade over the break, so I stayed up until around 1-2 each night finishing. On Friday, I gave back all their papers. Class sizes have increased this year. I have 178 students on my rosters, whereas before I never had more than 120 over 5 periods. Rather than complain and cut the quality of the class and quantity of essays, like many of my colleagues at the school have, I just assign the same amount and spend more time grading.

Our district, blessed by fate and luck last year to only have less than 10 teachers let go (I think it was just 3 in fact), is projected to have closer to 70+ (I suppose that includes any retirements, too). We have to cut almost $12M in costs this school year and '10-'11. Anakin said it best, "this is not good." How are the rest of you holding out so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Our district, blessed by fate and luck last year to only have less than 10 teachers let go (I think it was just 3 in fact), is projected to have closer to 70+ (I suppose that includes any retirements, too). We have to cut almost $12M in costs this school year and '10-'11. Anakin said it best, "this is not good." How are the rest of you holding out so far?
    My university has instituted a program that is bringing students in at records numbers, so I'm hoping I'll be good for 2010-2011, which is the last year in my contract. I'm going to start looking around the area at the other colleges, including tech schools, as well as private schools to see if they have any openings, just to be safe. Luckily, in this economy, more folks are returning for higher degrees, so i'm hoping that next year is a lock and they just haven't told us yet.

Oh. Lord it's Girl Scout cookie season. Those of you who don't teach elementary grades will never know how lucky you are! Mrs. TI7 has been inundated with requests to buy cookies from every GS-associated student in the school. We'd need a building the size of Costco to comply and store the goods; plus we'd be beyond broke......
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Oh. Lord it's Girl Scout cookie season. Those of you who don't teach elementary grades will never know how lucky you are! Mrs. TI7 has been inundated with requests to buy cookies from every GS-associated student in the school. We'd need a building the size of Costco to comply and store the goods; plus we'd be beyond broke......
    Can't help you with the money problem to purchase said cookies, but if you need to dump GS cookies off on someone due to a lack of space I'll give you my address and by all means send them my way. I'm partial to the thin mints and lemon iced ones, but a cookie donation of any type/flavor will gladly be accepted.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I'll help out and take the samoas!
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"