Page 27 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Oh, but I have a pile of papers on my lap as I am typing this message. :noreliefforthegraders:
    Isn't that what t.a.'s are for?

Parent Conference Night is today. I love when parents show interest in their kids. Sadly, only a small percentage does.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    Parent Conference Night is today. I love when parents show interest in their kids. Sadly, only a small percentage does.
    I'd love to see parental involvement even at the college level. I'd LOVE to send out progress reports to the parents of some of these schmuck 18-19 year olds who are gleefully wasting time and their parents $$. I'd see lots of participation and hard work if that happened. Stupid FERPA.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Awesome! Pretty soon I'll get to be a member in this thread! I'm gonna be a teacher of sorts. More of an instructor at training school but nonetheless...
    Dude, I totally looked up the word "instructor," and it's like, a cinammon or something for "teacher." Sweet!
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute View Post
    I'd love to see parental involvement even at the college level. I'd LOVE to send out progress reports to the parents of some of these schmuck 18-19 year olds who are gleefully wasting time and their parents $$. I'd see lots of participation and hard work if that happened. Stupid FERPA.
    Of the 178 students enrolled on my rosters, 34 parents showed up for parent conference night. Anyone wondering about the crisis in education need not look much further than that ratio. On top of that, this is a GREAT school: our API is 818, graduation rate has been 92-96% the last few years.

Above all this, though, I blame the drop off in comic book readership over the past 20 years. I know, this may sound bizarre, but I'm an English teacher readership and circulation are way down compared to when I was in high school in the late 80s. Apart from that, comics are no longer priced or written for kids.

Not to mention that they're available only in specialty shops which, in most areas, aren't in places kids would be going anyway. You don't get that introduction by finding a comic based on a movie or toy you know at the grocery store or gas station (most people don't even go into gas stations anymore), then finding out that there are entire stores devoted to this unbridled awesomeness. Even things like Free Comic Book Day, which should really heighten awareness, are essentially for folks who are already reading. (The comic shops have to pay to carry the books. Why doesn't Diamond use the proceeds to run an advertising blitz?)

I don't blame video games for the downturn in comics. They were around in the 1980s. The NES, SNES, GameBoy, and Sega Genesis were all on sale and massively popular during the sales heyday of the early 1990s. People tend to forget that.

Given how many people claim they learned to read, or became interested in reading, as a result of comics, you really have a point there.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

My wife is beginning to sport that "light at the end of the tunnel" look!

Through a weary face, of course....
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Am getting closer to finishing those pesky research projects; here's hoping their quality improves, however.

I avoid being a "countdown" person, as it makes one less focused and, well, tunnel-eyed. But there are 12 left, with the last three as half-day finals (two classes per). But who's counting?

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Am getting closer to finishing those pesky research projects; here's hoping their quality improves, however.

... with the last three as half-day finals (two classes per). But who's counting?
    No dice on the quality, and sadly, few students took my opportunity for re-write extra credit seriously.

All that's left now are the three finals days next week. I'm counting, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    Of the 178 students enrolled on my rosters, 34 parents showed up for parent conference night. Anyone wondering about the crisis in education need not look much further than that ratio. On top of that, this is a GREAT school: our API is 818, graduation rate has been 92-96% the last few years.
    Two things stood out (I know this was a while back) but:

1) Why was conference night so late in the school year? That may be one reason for the low turnout.

2) The turnout rate is usually pretty good for elementary schools. Most parents recognize the need to keep on top of things for their elementary school age students.

While parents should turn out regardless of age, I know the expectation is that students, when they reach middle and high school age, the need to "be in the know" isn't as great.

I have about 75% turnout for my 5th grade class during our open house and even greater for conference days and nights.

Of course scheduling conferences and having parents blow them off is a different story.

Oh and congrats to the California based teachers. You will surely have and extra jig in your step this week.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.