Page 33 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Any teachers here having to make sacrifices due to budget constraints in their state? Our district is laying off elementary school teachers for the 2nd year in a row due to shortfalls in the budget. If I was hired two years later, I would be out of job, but made the cutoff.

Our district is choosing to close its 3rd elementary school in 2 years next year (closing was long overdue) and will be displacing many jobs. They are also moving all 5th and 6th grade teachers (of which I am one) to one of our middle schools and are "repurposing" it as a elementary school. I am very thankful to have a job.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

I'm thankful to be employed also.

Thankfully, our district has always been conservative in its budgeting and predictions, so it seems we'll be free of layoffs this year. I'm right in the middle seniority-wise overall in the district, and at my school site and my department.

I've been trying to help out my department by seeking good deals on supplies and buying them in small amounts and giving them out at needed times of the year (i.e. final exams, research projects, syllabi, etc.), by using any leftover funds from my classroom recycling stuff. And I work out some trades and barter for extra items I don't need anymore.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

While I'm not currently teaching, I'm currently wondering about my prospects of actualy getting a job when I do get out of school in 3 to 4 years, as I want to teach secondary art, and with the budget cuts state governments are insisting on, I'm not sure how that'll go. I suppose there's always private schools?

In my town, we recently had a massive protest of sorts that actualy worked to keep our middle school open when the district started saying they where going to shut it down. 300 out of 450 people that live in our town showed up to a meeting about it and signed up to talk about it. (I was first in line, and all I did was read the back of the district's own forms that state in itty bitty print that closing schools does not save a district money in the long term).

I don't know if any of that counts as being on topic, but it's very much on my mind.

If it matters I almost didn't get paid at all and would still have to have taught. Thankfully they passed they budget...
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    If it matters I almost didn't get paid at all and would still have to have taught. Thankfully they passed they budget...
    That's because the boys (and girls) in Washington only care about your ilk when it comes to photo ops.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Actually the plan was to pay us for the 1st-8th then give us our back pay on the 1st after they passed the budget. If you got paid once a month your wouldn't even have noticed. Stop being a drama queen. Rookie. I am old enough to remember dealing with this under Clinton (I guess I'm getting older).
    May the force be with you.

They are completely eliminating middle schools in TPS. This move has created a problem that all the 7th and 8th grade teachers must now move to the high school level since they are not qualified to teach all subjects. So now TPS have an over-employed high school area and an under-employed elementary school level. I guess they don't consider it a problem since they are going to lay off 300 more teachers.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Actually the plan was to pay us for the 1st-8th then give us our back pay on the 1st after they passed the budget. If you got paid once a month your wouldn't even have noticed. Stop being a drama queen. Rookie. I am old enough to remember dealing with this under Clinton (I guess I'm getting older).
    I remember those days, too. We were debating whether we were even supposed to report to work, but our pay continued on without a hitch, even though the government actually shut down during those budget standoffs.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I remember those days, too. We were debating whether we were even supposed to report to work, but our pay continued on without a hitch, even though the government actually shut down during those budget standoffs.
    Yeah, they attempted to do something similar with our pay this time out. A few members suggested passing a bill to fund the troops while they worked out the budget. The ldea got shot down, I believe it was called a "distraction".

On a side note, Congress was still scheduled to get paid. I know of just one Congressperson who said they would refuse to take any pay until the troops got paid. That same individual is working to get legislation passes that would prevent the military from ever being in this position again. Basically, even if Congress fails to pass a budget we would still get paid. Odd, that Congress would still pay themselves when the whole mess happened because they failed to do their job to begin with and pass a budget back in October.

I remember the confusion of the shut down in the 90's. We weren't sure if we were going to get paid or have to come into work.

It was pretty clear this time out. The word was sent down to Commanders to explain to their troops in detail what would happen, including the "you are still required to report to work".
    May the force be with you.