Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

I want to keep a positive attitude; I really do. But it's getting harder this year, and it's only three weeks in. I am very concerned. Not only for my own mental well-being, but the learning for the kids. "New" ain't always "improved," and too much/too soon with little heads-up is a dangerous combination. But I am enjoying the in-class work and lessons and students much more than in previous years. :silverlining:
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

My wife finally got a long term sub job. She loved it but it kind of makes her depressed. She just turned 30 this year and has only had one teaching job since graduating with a masters and yet she is the oldest teacher at her new school.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    My wife finally got a long term sub job. She loved it but it kind of makes her depressed. She just turned 30 this year and has only had one teaching job since graduating with a masters and yet she is the oldest teacher at her new school.
    Sucks to hear, but a long term substitute position is a stepping stone to perhaps a permanent position. I received my current job after finishing a long term position in a middle school, this after subbing 2 years prior.

Best of luck to your wife.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Ditto to LBC's comments. I subbed while going through my credential program (about 2 years), got called to do a week-long sub job, which has turned into a 329-week job at the same place. Fingers crossed! And thumbs up!

Thanks for the wishes, but at least in this case, it's not possible. She is only qualified for the dreaded K-3 degree and she is subbing in a junior high. She is hoping to get another endorsement qualification to over-ride that.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Thanks for the wishes, but at least in this case, it's not possible. She is only qualified for the dreaded K-3 degree and she is subbing in a junior high. She is hoping to get another endorsement qualification to over-ride that.
    What grade is she hoping to teach? (BTW: my wife has taught 3rd grade for 16 years and counting...).
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I got a possible job offer at an elementary school (with a good academic and collegial reputation) many a year ago, but without a multiple subject credential, it wasn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    What grade is she hoping to teach? (BTW: my wife has taught 3rd grade for 16 years and counting...).
    She loves teaching kindergardeners, of course who doesn't.

She taught third grade for a year at a Charter school and quit. Her class was the most undisciplined children I have ever seen. They threw desks, chairs, broke into her locked drawers and stole her money, everything. She wrote them up after every incident but her dean just sent them back, unpunished. About midway through the year, after a sparkling review for the first half, the principal and dean ganged up on her about the safety of the children. Between their threats and her health failing due to the stress, she quit.

The school is known for teachers quiting. they typically have 10-20 open positions a year from teachers not being able to deal with the students without the support of the administration. Yet enrollment is up and the principal, who formerly was a secratary, stays on board.

That's a shame when the administration turns on their teachers. My wife had a "lack of faith" incident with her administration last year. There was no merit behind it...they just like to make "projects" out of teachers from year to year. Last year was my wife's turn.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

She loves teaching kindergardeners, of course who doesn't.
    Uh... [puts own hand up]

I realized early on that the littluns weren't my caseload. Apparently I prefer a different form of neediness and out-of-control behavior.