Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Uh... [puts own hand up]

I realized early on that the littluns weren't my caseload. Apparently I prefer a different form of neediness and out-of-control behavior.

I've been looking into teaching, the Army has the Troops to Teachers program. They work to place you in a teaching position when you transition out of the military.

The only problem is, I plan to retire in Colorado and the salary for a teacher in pretty low.

I can make more money if I stay in Medical Maintenance and focus on digital imaging (X-Ray, CT, MRI, etc.). I just got certified in PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication System) which is basically a networked computer system that allows doctors to view X-Ray, CT's, MRI's, etc. from remote workstations. So a doctor in New York can read and diagnose patients in California.

I'm torn between my desire to teach and my desire to provide a little more for my family.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    ...and the salary for a teacher in pretty low.
    That's pretty much the norm, sir. Take the salary, divide the number of hours actually put into the job and it equals somewhere below minimum wage.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

It used to be, the pay wasn't often equivalent to the time and effort put in (please don't "do the math," as it usually causes weeping and gnashing of teeth ); but the fringe benefits, relationships and connections, and sense of satisfaction easily outweighed that. Now, the stress of test results, micromanaging, and the dreaded "accountability" (as if no teacher or student was ever held accountable before) expectation is making some (I'll admit, somedays even myself) reconsider that ratio. But, if you have that drive, and that desire, and that dedication to do what's right and make a difference, there's virtually no paid (read: parents) occupation that comes close to fulfilling those things. So, go for it!

For me, that ratio is always over the 50% mark to be that positive role model (and often much higher, like this week has been). Whenever it slips below that, and seems to stay there, I'll know it's time.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I know my wife would agree with BCJ 100%!

...and BTW my occupation also fulfills the criteria listed above...
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    I know my wife would agree with BCJ 100%!

...and BTW my occupation also fulfills the criteria listed above...
    Wait a minute, you get PAID for all that? I just thought you were posting about your hobby with the locals.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    ...if I stay in Medical Maintenance...
    Are you 2-1B? Do you take care of Sir's?

Bipolar teaching lately: great days where there's a blend of fun, serious work, and learning; others where you wonder how anyone will come out alive and functioning in the real world; yet more when the clock seems to sprint by or drag its hands across its face. I want to cry at times, yell at others, cheer in more, or chuckle in some. Much less stable emotions in me and my students recently, and I don't think it's just excitement for Halloween (this is more than that energy usually is).

I'm not normally a "mental health day" kind of person (I was raised in the era of "tough it out" when things get rough), but I really needed to take a couple days away from school. Today was the first one. It's helped. Some.

A four-day weekend follows a three-day week next week. Then, it's only 15 days of school, before a 23 day break. These numbers apply to LAUSD, at least. The point being, we're close to half done with the school year. Second semester will be hectic for me, at least, since the good ole' folks from WASC beckon...

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    Second semester will be hectic for me, at least, since the good ole' folks from WASC beckon...
    Ah, WASC. We're in between visits (we got a 6-year with a 3-year check, and are two years from that 6-year period ending) right now.