Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    ... the pay wasn't often equivalent to the time and effort put in (please don't "do the math," as it usually causes weeping and gnashing of teeth )
    While not a teacher I'd suggest not "doing the math" if you are paid a set amount reguardless of the job...it can be scary!

I'm not normally a "mental health day" kind of person (I was raised in the era of "tough it out" when things get rough), but I really needed to take a couple days away from school. Today was the first one. It's helped. Some.

I am not a mental health day person myself as well as I feel there are enough of them built into the school year calendar. However, a lot does depend on the class that you teach that year and of course, your personal life. The past two school years I have not needed to take any personal days, however, back a few years, I had the future season 36 of America's Most Wanted and personal turmoil in my life, I needed to take a few days off, moreso for my psyche than anything.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

My wife spent the better part of Thanksgiving vacation with other colleagues writing (or maybe better said re-applying) for the California Distinguished Schools Program certification for her school site. It's a process that normally takes 6-8 weeks to complete. Her (clueless) principal said the application process was "a piece of cake". They were handed this task a little over a week ago. That guy would fit in nicely in Washington, DC.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Are you sure the principal didn't say he wanted a piece of cake for suggesting it?

I'm trying to start a scholarship program based on funds collected from recycling, and so far it's been positive, but early in the process.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jos View Post
    I'm trying to start a scholarship program based on funds collected from recycling, and so far it's been positive, but early in the process.
    It should be official once we return from the break. I just need to write up the specifics.

Finals start tomorrow, and will be done by Wed.; the best part? We don't have to submit grades until a day after we return from break! Winter break rocks for even more reasons now!

I have a student who sounds (and, now that I think of it, looks somewhat) a lot like Jake Lloyd. Is it wrong that I want him to say "an exspecially dangerous Dug" sometime in class?

Spring Break starts today! Woo hoo! And... it's raining in SoCal?

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    My wife spent the better part of Thanksgiving vacation with other colleagues writing (or maybe better said re-applying) for the California Distinguished Schools Program certification for her school site. It's a process that normally takes 6-8 weeks to complete. Her (clueless) principal said the application process was "a piece of cake". They were handed this task a little over a week ago. That guy would fit in nicely in Washington, DC.
    The on-site walk-thru took place last Wednesday. My wife has the feeling that her school is the one the committee is looking for....
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Disappointing results... depressing results. Of the eight students who re-took the HSEE, only one passed. That's bad, But worse, only three of them even improved on their previous score. What did I do that DROPPED their numbers? What I thought I didn't cover as well, the written portion, did improve for all of them, but I thought I did better in the multiple choice areas. And three of those are seniors this year (with only one more try in May left).

Disappointing results... depressing results. Of the eight students who re-took the HSEE, only one passed. That's bad, But worse, only three of them even improved on their previous score. What did I do that DROPPED their numbers? What I thought I didn't cover as well, the written portion, did improve for all of them, but I thought I did better in the multiple choice areas. And three of those are seniors this year (with only one more try in May left).
    Some people really just don't test well. We have one like that knows the job well, better than most. Took the certification test and failed while lesser skilled people passed.
    May the force be with you.

That you even care enough to post your disappointment shows you are passionately connected to your profession. Some students just have difficulty testing, even on a very basic test like the CAHSEE - which I've always thought should be the high school ENTRANCE, not exit, exam. But sometimes necessity breeds invention, so May might force some of these kids to rise to the occasion.